Practice what you preach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice what you preach

A Mormon Bishop goes all out to teach his congregation a lesson.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...esson#comments

He enlists a great makeup artist to become a "homeless person" who stood out in front of the church begging for change.

In the end IMO hilarity and embarrassment ensues.

NOTE: I only put the religious denomination of the person here only because that is what the story says. It could have been ANY FLAVOR of religion.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Yeah, I know this is old.

That is one reason I don't believe in institutional religion, it is my opinion that it is an institution that tries to instill morality through mysticism. It is no more effective than legislating morality. Note that while the children were receptive (they believe more in the mysticism) and wanted to be charitable, more of the adults were not. The adults tend to temper the mysticism with reality. Most realize that God is not going to strike them down with lightning for "sinning", despite the old testament God, being a vengeful God. Yet using the old testament to justify their beliefs and lives to some extent. It has now been moderated that God might get them "another" way, which they then disregard because it's not immediate and severe.

From my personal interactions, I have found that the more religious a person claims to be (through acts or speech), the more likely they are to be blatantly hypocritical in practice.

My personal belief is that religion is a crutch for morality. People can claim they are religious, therefore, the are deemed to be inherently "more" moral. Especially in the States. A lot of people take advantage of that belief. For me it's the same as people who serve in the military. I believe them to be more "honorable" and trust worthy than other people. I have paid for that false belief more ways than I care to mention. What has reality showed me, the military is just as full of assholes as honor, yet I still "believe".

The problem is that religion (at least western ones anyway) give people an "out" for bad behavior. Pray and you will be forgiven. Pay penance and you will be forgiven. Just as with laws, these things only work and bear in mind people with inherent moral values. Moral people will feel bad about their sins, thus ask for forgiveness and try to rectify the behavior. It is a mechanism for instilling structure in one's life. Unfortunately, a lot of people take advantage of that (as with a lot of things) to "game the system". They do things that they wouldn't like people doing it to them, and ask for forgiveness, later. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I think what makes it most sinister, is the inherent believe that religious people are inherently moral where non-religious people are inherently immoral. I have found the opposite, from my experience. Without a set structure and without a "free pass", non-religious people have to rely on what they believe is right and wrong. I think (compared to religion anyway) this works fairly well. Either people know right or wrong and without religion in the way, people start to look more at the person rather than whether they are this or that.

I believe it works (for the most part) because man realizes that religious law, needs man's law (which technically, is the same thing). Moral people tend to stay out of jail and immoral people tend to have trouble with the law. I am always reminded of one person I saw walk out of prison and said, "I hope the police will leave me alone, so I don't end up in jail again." He isn't moral. He doesn't understand that he has problems with the police, because he won't follow the law.

Anyway, I believe the best thing you can get from Christianity is to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I don't need religion to teach me that as that is what I try to do everyday of my life. It is a shame that people only tend to listen to what they like and disregard, what they have no use for.
    Last edited by ebonyknight; 02-22-2014, 12:59 AM. Reason: editted for the obtuse

Comment

Wow, what a huge load of assumptions, there.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Wow, what a huge load of assumptions, there.
        Not assumptions, opinions. And stated as such.

Comment

Not opinions, statements.

You can't say, "It is an institution that tries to instill morality through mysticism." and then turn around and say you weren't making statements. Communication and logic just don't work like that.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not opinions, statements.

You can't say, "It is an institution that tries to instill morality through mysticism." and then turn around and say you weren't making statements. Communication and logic just don't work like that.
            Now you are just being plain obtuse. For someone who's title is "Accepting of Differences", you are quite obstinate.

Practice what you preach.

opinion

noun
            1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
            2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
            3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
            4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
            5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

As is your usual modus operandi, my queen, you may have the last word. ::curtsies::

I'm done with trying teach a pig to sing.

Comment

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
              That is one reason I don't believe in institutional religion, it is my opinion that it is an institution that tries to instill morality through mysticism. It is no more effective than legislating morality.
              Actually, it is more effective than legislating morality. In fact, religion will cause people to behave in a more generous and moral manner. Even Atheists. The effect is independent on how religious or non-religious the subject is. That said, religion is no more or less effective than other subjects that inspire moral adherence such as justice or civic duty.

All that's needed to inspire more moral behaviour is the implication that the person's morality or lack thereof won't remain anonymous. We behave better when we think someone else might see our shitty behaviour. Hence religion works quite well.

However, the rest of your thesis however comes across as personal bias without any real fact finding.

Comment

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flounce

-.-

Comment

As is your usual modus operandi, my queen, you may have the last word. ::curtsies::

You stay classy, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    However, the rest of your thesis however comes across as personal bias without any real fact finding.
                    It's an opinion, not a hypothesis.

Comment

I never said I was leaving. What other members, have I had protracted disagreements with?

Comment

You stay classy, now.
                        After reading Raps, sticky for this section. I apologize for my personal comments towards you.

I'll leave it at that.

Comment

just because something is an opinion, doesn't mean people won't trounce you for it if they disagree with ya. trust me, i earn that one a lot.

to the topic: that's a hilarious idea, and also one that made me a little sad. it seemed like people were less ashamed of what they did, and more ashamed for being busted for it. bet they'll go back to ignoring hobos by the end of the month. people, sadly, assume too much by physical appearance and don't like to get to know people. sure, some drifters can be scary, but a fair number of them are chill dudes with some epic tales to spin.

still a neat idea though, and i'm sure the message with stick with a few of them.
                          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

After reading Raps, sticky for this section. I apologize for my personal comments towards you.

I'll leave it at that.
                            I appreciate that you apologized, but that was really uncalled for.

Also, Andara - if you feel someone has gotten personal with you, please dont comment in the thread - report the post and we will investigate.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
                              just because something is an opinion, doesn't mean people won't trounce you for it if they disagree with ya. trust me, i earn that one a lot.
                              I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion, but saying my opinion is a statement of fact, is just being obtuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X