Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Like Being Harassed In School? Stop Being Buddhist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Like Being Harassed In School? Stop Being Buddhist.

Don’t want to be hassled by creationist teacher? Give up Buddhism, Louisiana public school says

When the outraged parents confronted Sabine Parish Superintendent Sara Ebarb about the incidents, she allegedly told them “this is the Bible belt” and that they “shouldn’t be offended” to “see God here.” Ebarb advised that C.C. should either change his faith or be transferred to another District school where “there are more Asians.”
    Wow. Just wow. I never thought I'd see the day they went after Buddhists as well. The story has everything. Stupidity, racism, massive systematic constitutional violations. Good show, Louisiana. I'm impressed. ><

*twitch*

Just...what the hell. I'd expect this from a private Christian school, but this is a public school! This is against so many laws it's not even funny!
    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

Wow. Just wow. I never thought I'd see the day they went after Buddhists as well.
      I am unsurprised, why WOULDN´T they go after Buddhists? It is a diferent religion, therefore a target.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
        I am unsurprised, why WOULDN´T they go after Buddhists? It is a diferent religion, therefore a target.
        Except that unlike say, Islam or Judaism, Buddhists generally do not go around professing their faith nor do they proselytize (much).

Comment

to be fair, it isn't just the one teacher that is the problem. The school has teacher-led (christian) prayer, they teach creationism as science, they have an electronic marquee that scrolls bible verses. Yeah, the school breaks the constitution so badly it isn't even funny.

Comment

Schools like that should have their funding cut and their status changed from public to private.

Comment

I honestly thought this was an onion article when a friend described it to me. The fact that it's not is just depression. And rage inducing.

Theres so much here that's just...I couldn't WRITE something like this without feeling like I was stretching it!

Comment

In response to what Gravekeeper quoted, "This is the U.S. of fucking A. - using government resources (a.k.a. a public school) to promote one religion over another is in violation of the 1st Amendment's prohibition of establishing a state religion."

IIRC, Buddhism is one of the religions for which the U.S. military provides chaplains, so it's clear that it's recognized as a legitimate religion in the U.S.

As for evolution, I've got 2 questions that should be asked publicly of the school board members involved:

1) Are you descended from monkeys?

(after the inevitable "NO!")
                2) When do you plan to make the descent?

Comment

After reading the article, I could only come up with one conclusion. That is, it's yet another reason why many of us up North think that the South is a bunch of backwards, inbred hicks (I know that it's not, so don't flame me, OK?)

Seriously, where the hell do these people come from?

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
                    Schools like that should have their funding cut and their status changed from public to private.
                    That just punishes the students. The teachers and administrators who do these things should be fired and replaced with people who are capable of following the law.
                    I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                      Except that unlike say, Islam or Judaism, Buddhists generally do not go around professing their faith nor do they proselytize (much).
                      Sense when has the amount of proselytizing of the target (for lack of better terms) had any impact on the amount of harassment a proselytizer is going to give them? Evangelical teachings (or at least practice in the United States) is that you must convert all non-believers, not just the ones who are also trying to convert you.

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      After reading the article, I could only come up with one conclusion. That is, it's yet another reason why many of us up North think that the South is a bunch of backwards, inbred hicks (I know that it's not, so don't flame me, OK?)
                      No, we came to that conclusion watching them try to drive in the snow
                      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

A you can tell from watching us drive in the snow is that we don't get enough practice at it to be good.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          A you can tell from watching us drive in the snow is that we don't get enough practice at it to be good.
                          I just saw a video of someone trying to drive in the snow and ice in Atlanta on 30 inch rims. I don't think practice is the problem. >.>

Comment

I saw a video the other day...of someone in a 4x4 SUV stranded in 1 *inch* of snow down there

Comment

It's the ice, not the snow. It doesn't matter how good your car/truck is if you don't have the right tires and experience. The vast majority of everybody is going to be screwed on ice, unless they're wearing skates.
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X