Groundhog Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groundhog Day

I just got a message from one of my Christian friends on Facebook. He posted a nasty rant about how people should not be "worshipping" a groundhog, and that they should "get with God" instead.

For those of you not in the US, Groundhog Day is celebrated on February 2nd. According to folklore, if the critter emerges from its hole and it's cloudy, spring will come early. If the critter emerges, and "sees its shadow," we'll get another 6 weeks of winter. It started as a Pennsylvania German custom, but it is similar to the pagan festival of Imbolc on February 1.

Anyway, this tool went on a rant about how we shouldn't be celebrating an "imaginary" entity...before I quit reading. As someone who isn't religious at all, I found that bit amusing. I had to quit reading. This is a guy who spends most of his time arguing that his imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend

Ironically, I woke up today - groundhog day - and find it's snowing nice and hard outside my window. =P

Comment

As a Catholic who just celebrated Candlemas....

Did the groundhog see his shadow? I'm tired of winter....

I has a blog!

Comment

I love how some people seem to regard things like partaking in a silly tradition involving a groundhog constitutes false idolatry. It's the same ilk who think reading Harry Potter books constitutes partaking in witchcraft. I wonder if he thinks people worship Martin Luther King on his birthday, or if we are worshiping fallen soldiers on Memorial Day?

Comment

It's 6 more weeks wether he sees his shadow or not. Spring's official first day is March 20. Watch we here in MI will get a blizzard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
            I love how some people seem to regard things like partaking in a silly tradition involving a groundhog constitutes false idolatry.
            It wouldn't surprise me one bit. I mean, I'm sure he's flipped out about the Easter Bunny If that's the case, the constant shamrock parade on St. Patrick's Day must send him over the edge

Comment

So groundhogs are imaginary? I could have sworn I saw one tearing up my wife's flower bed awhile back.
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                I just got a message from one of my Christian friends on Facebook. He posted a nasty rant about how people should not be "worshipping" a groundhog, and that they should "get with God" instead.
                The only prayers that happen with Groundhog Day is the prayers for winter to end.

Comment

Working...
                X