Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presbyterian Church has opened the door to Gay marriage

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5512756.html

The major "convention" of Presbyterian congregations recently voted by a 2/3 majority to now officially allow ministers to conduct same-sex marriages (note: "allow", not "require") in states where it is legal. They also changed the language in their Constitution to account for this (to paraphrase: "Marriage takes place between two people...traditionally a man and a woman"). The latter still needs to be ratified by the individual Presbyteres nationwide, but it's a first step; the former is automatically in place, effective already.

Note that it has allowed gay ministers (neƩ priests) for 4-6 years now, but, unlike hetero ministers, they must remain celibate.
    "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
    "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

I believe the same ruling re the sexuality of the priests/ministers is the same down here for the uniting church (which is a mix of Presbyterian and Methodist. Presbyterian churches still exist though). Which really might shut up a few bigots who believe that all gay people do is have sex constantly without condoms...

Comment

Depending on whether the Methodists make any progress in 2016, and how (or if) the local congregations here react in both cases, I may have to switch churches.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Depending on whether the Methodists make any progress in 2016, and how (or if) the local congregations here react in both cases, I may have to switch churches.
        I thought the Methodists already approved both?
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          I thought the Methodists already approved both?
          Many individual Methodists and many churches are supportive. The official denominational rules say no, and the next chance to change that is in two years. As I understand it, a lot of the holdup is that the parts of the denomination that are growing are in parts of the world that are, if anything, moving the other way.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
          X