Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will discuss my religious faith with any who asks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA knows that the sun rises, but "happens every day" part? More like "happens every hour" if AA's knowledge of the solar system is correct.

The sun is always rising or setting somewhere in the world because of our Earth spinning on its axis while it revolves around the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
      AA knows that the sun rises, but "happens every day" part? More like "happens every hour" if AA's knowledge of the solar system is correct.

The sun is always rising or setting somewhere in the world because of our Earth spinning on its axis while it revolves around the sun.
      Sorta off topic, but your post reminds me of the incoherent arguments made on http://www.timecube.com/ .

Although if you really want to get technical, the sun is rising at every plank-time interval somewhere on the planet, not just every hour.

Comment

you could also say it rises every second depending on what side of town you're on. it's pointless nitpicking that does nothing to deconstruct the argument that a belief based on knowledge is vastly different than one based on faith.

do i really have to get as damn specific as "the sun rises once per location per 24hour period" to get the point across? i thought the idea was understandable in plain, colloquial english but was but apparently not.
        All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I'm a Catholic, and also a realist, too.
          You either don't know what that word means or are totally unaware of Catholic doctrine in regards to science. Judging by the rest of your argument, I'm going to assume possibly both. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            I've started this very debate here on this board in the past. I think it ended with both sides talking to the bulkhead.

*EDIT #2*
            I was wrong. It was either a different thread or a different board. My bad.
            I seem to remember that discussion or one that was derailed into it. It was back when Ipecac Drano and Ghel used to post a lot, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
              you could also say it rises every second depending on what side of town you're on. it's pointless nitpicking that does nothing to deconstruct the argument that a belief based on knowledge is vastly different than one based on faith.

do i really have to get as damn specific as "the sun rises once per location per 24hour period" to get the point across? i thought the idea was understandable in plain, colloquial english but was but apparently not.

Sorry about that. I was tired when I first argued and forgot that AA isn't an idiot. He knows that the sun will rise no matter where he lives; even if it doesn't rise where he lives, it still rises somewhere in the world.

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                You either don't know what that word means or are totally unaware of Catholic doctrine in regards to science. Judging by the rest of your argument, I'm going to assume possibly both. >.>
                Sorry about that, Gravekeeper. I'm not someone who believes in rainbow-pooping unicorns, if that's what you mean. I think I meant pragmatic, but I wasn't sure if the word was right for this thread, so I used "realist" instead.

I was also tired when I first argued in this thread, so sorry about that.

As for Catholic doctrine in regards to science, THAT I'm not sure. Here is the link to its article on Wikipedia.

Comment

Sorry about that, Gravekeeper. I'm not someone who believes in rainbow-pooping unicorns, if that's what you mean. I think I meant pragmatic, but I wasn't sure if the word was right for this thread, so I used "realist" instead.
                  That is not what I meant at all, quite the opposite. My point was that the Catholic church has a long history as a patron of science and education ( despite some unfortunate phases ) and the modern Catholic church fully embraces science. So saying your Catholic and a realist is kind of redundant. Catholics aren't the ones trying to tell people Jesus rode dinosaurs.

Comment

Catholics aren't the ones trying to tell people Jesus rode dinosaurs.
                    You mean I have to stop teaching the gospel of Raptor Jesus?

NOOOOOO!

:P
                    I has a blog!

Comment

That is not what I meant at all, quite the opposite. My point was that the Catholic church has a long history as a patron of science and education ( despite some unfortunate phases ) and the modern Catholic church fully embraces science. So saying your Catholic and a realist is kind of redundant. Catholics aren't the ones trying to tell people Jesus rode dinosaurs.
                      I know. I was afraid that people might think of us Catholics like that, though.

I'm a realist in that, although I would like to see a woman Catholic pope, I know that not even a woman Catholic priest will happen for a long time. And realist in that I won't judge or shun anyone who has had an abortion or IVF, even though both of them are against Catholic doctrine.

Comment

Working...
                      X