No announcement yet.

Residents Required to Go to Work/Attend School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, I quite agree- I'm just saying that programs like this need close scrutiny, since it is very easy for them to become something that IS illegal. (and while they do offer advice, I think the article says that ignoring the advice results in you getting evicted. Which- depending on how the program works- can indeed turn it into dictating to people.)

I'm also slightly dubious about what, exactly happens if someone on the program has nowhere to go if they're evicted. (this might be because i live in the UK, where there is a duty on the part of local government to find housing for those who can't afford somewhere to live. As such, unless they find somewhere for those evicted to live, I don't see how they can throw people out.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      I'm also slightly dubious about what, exactly happens if someone on the program has nowhere to go if they're evicted. (this might be because i live in the UK, where there is a duty on the part of local government to find housing for those who can't afford somewhere to live. As such, unless they find somewhere for those evicted to live, I don't see how they can throw people out.
      I'm guessing they'll have to either quickly find a different place to live (maybe another facility that doesn't do this -- I don't recall what the article said about that), live with a relative/friend, or just be SOL.

Comment

that's sort of my point though- is it, ultimately, fair to make someone homeless in such a situation? the entire idea of government-subsidized housing is that it is an obligation of the government to ensure all of it's citizens can afford somewhere to live. subsequently kicking them out seems counterintuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          that's sort of my point though- is it, ultimately, fair to make someone homeless in such a situation? the entire idea of government-subsidized housing is that it is an obligation of the government to ensure all of it's citizens can afford somewhere to live. subsequently kicking them out seems counterintuitive.
          You could look at it, I suppose, as an extension of the criteria to live in public housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            If you're going to start a thread like a combative asshole you're going to be treated like one. We could have legitimately discussed this topic but you sabotaged it before it even got started. Don't blame everyone else because you wanted to pick a fight.
            Name calling is not appropriate and needs to cease. Now.

Comment

Working...
            X