# TheTriggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # TheTriggering

So there's this new hashtag that made rounds on twitter from March 9-10. I guess the point is to post 'offensive' tweets to 'trigger' the easily offended in defense of free speech. Here's an article on it. I think a lot of the examples used were pretty tame (you can find far worse reading youtube comments). For the most part, it's just people being obnoxious assholes with their opinions. I even agree with a couple of them (the one about segregated safe spaces being stupid and another one about not all cultures being equal).

But at the end of the two days, I don't see the point of this. What does this accomplish other than making themselves look like giant assholes?

Sounds like the new "ethics in gaming journalism". -.-

Comment

Yeah, a lot of prominent GGers are taking part in this.

Comment

The whole point is to be an asshole and then when someone gets upset, say it's okay because it's part of some event so no one is allowed to get mad at them.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'll grant that it seems a few of these people are legitimately trying to make a statement against actual restrictions on freedom of speech, if going about it in an incredibly asinine and pointless way.

But a a good deal more seem to just be operating under the misconception that "Freedom of Speech" means "Freedom to say whatever I want without consequences."

And then a bunch are just those who saw something to hide behind while being bigoted bullies.
          "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
          TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

The problem is Twitter is it's a digital mob essentially.

The whole point is to be an asshole and then when someone gets upset, say it's okay because it's part of some event so no one is allowed to get mad at them. <- to be fair, on this point I've seen plenty of people on both sides of just about everything say bigoted, terrible things and justify it using that kind of logic or through some magical exception that allows them to be a preemptive asshole.

Comment

I feel like making a joke based on this, but I can't remember which cowboy had a horse named "Trigger."
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                I feel like making a joke based on this, but I can't remember which cowboy had a horse named "Trigger."
                Roy Rogers
                I has a blog!

Comment

The issue is that there is a difference- which should be acknowledged, granted, between saying something that someone, somewhere, happens to find offensive, and saying something deliberately to cause offence.

it's why I support a limited form of "safe space"- basically, if there is an area known to be frequented by Muslim people, then it might be a good idea not to be offensive to Muslim people there. It doesn't mean they necessarily get to impose their own cultural rules- off the top of my head, if it is a predominately muslim area, they would be fine asking for people not to drink alcohol while there, and possibly not to openly eat food that isn't halal, but- for example- honour killings would be flat unacceptable regardless.

Comment

But a a good deal more seem to just be operating under the misconception that "Freedom of Speech" means "Freedom to say whatever I want without consequences criticism."
                    fixed.

I mean, sometimes people do overreact and get offended over nothing, but these twats are deliberately trying to provoke a reaction. They are no better than trolls on IMDB who spam comments attacking an actor or actress, but the minute someone tells them off, they play victim. And really, what's so special about those two days? It's not like they going to stop being asshats now that this thing is over.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                      The issue is that there is a difference- which should be acknowledged, granted, between saying something that someone, somewhere, happens to find offensive, and saying something deliberately to cause offence.
                      I dimly recall saying soemthing to that effect in one of the "college microaggresions" discussions: you don't have the right to not be offended, so trying to silence someone who says something you find uncomfortable or offensive is wrong.

However, you *do* have the right to not have people deliberately be assholes to you. So, starting a campaign like "the Triggering" is just as wrong as people trying to silence dissenting voices.
                      "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                      "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Working...
                      X