Another Baby In Hot Car Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Baby In Hot Car Story

And it's not the mothers fault completely.

She entrusted her friend with the baby while she auditioned at a strip club. For some reason, they put a coat over the infant even though it was 70 degrees outside. Instead of waiting in the car with the baby in the car, the friend left the baby in the car while she watched the audition. Some passerby had managed to rescue the baby and alerted authorities. They were both arrested and according to one source, the bail is set at 40k for mom and 10k for her friend. The baby is now in child protective services.

It sounds like much of the fault lies with the friend. She had one job, watch the baby in a car, but couldn't even do that. FAIL

Just from what you said, I agree, the fault should lie entirely on the friend.

It's probably too much to hope that there won't be any blow back because the mother was auditioning for a strip club. The job she was trying to get should be irrelevant. Mom apparently was trying to do the right thing and have the friend watch the kid. (There could be any number of reasons why the friend and kid couldn't be somewhere else entirely.... Hell, the friend could have just driven the kid to a park to pass the time theoretically)

*reads article* Friend was a teenager. Partly explains the irresponsibility, but by no means excuses it.

Comment

One big thing to note:

"Police arrested McMurtry and Taylor on charges of child neglect. Authorities also charged McMurtry with criminal impersonation after she allegedly lied about her name in an apparent effort to avoid an outstanding warrant, WSMV reported."

The mother had an outstanding warrant for her arrest, and in an attempt to get out of it, lied to police on the scene. That changes things a bit. I'm not sure what the outstanding warrant was for, but the two are not being charged with exactly the same thing.

Comment

Did the mom not realize that the person that was supposed to be watching her kid was watching her instead? If so, I don't have any sympathy for the mother for receiving a hefty fine.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Jetfire View Post
          Just from what you said, I agree, the fault should lie entirely on the friend.

It's probably too much to hope that there won't be any blow back because the mother was auditioning for a strip club. The job she was trying to get should be irrelevant. Mom apparently was trying to do the right thing and have the friend watch the kid. (There could be any number of reasons why the friend and kid couldn't be somewhere else entirely.... Hell, the friend could have just driven the kid to a park to pass the time theoretically)

*reads article* Friend was a teenager. Partly explains the irresponsibility, but by no means excuses it.
          Yeah, some of the comments are pretty nasty toward the mother, but she was doing the best she could under the circumstances. It's not like she left the kid in the car unattended while she was getting her nails done.

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          One big thing to note:

"Police arrested McMurtry and Taylor on charges of child neglect. Authorities also charged McMurtry with criminal impersonation after she allegedly lied about her name in an apparent effort to avoid an outstanding warrant, WSMV reported."

The mother had an outstanding warrant for her arrest, and in an attempt to get out of it, lied to police on the scene. That changes things a bit. I'm not sure what the outstanding warrant was for, but the two are not being charged with exactly the same thing.
          That could change a lot depending on what the outstanding warrant was for. If I had to guess, I'd say it was something minor, in which case they should let her off easy (though I doubt that's going to happen).

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Did the mom not realize that the person that was supposed to be watching her kid was watching her instead? If so, I don't have any sympathy for the mother for receiving a hefty fine.
          Even if she did notice her friend was there, the friend is still ultimately to blame. Had she just watched the kid like she was supposed to, this wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic
            That could change a lot depending on what the outstanding warrant was for. If I had to guess, I'd say it was something minor, in which case they should let her off easy (though I doubt that's going to happen).
            You can't speculate about how minor it was as much as I can't speculate how serious it was. All we know is she's being arrested for more reasons than having the baby unattended in a hot car.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            Even if she did notice her friend was there, the friend is still ultimately to blame. Had she just watched the kid like she was supposed to, this wouldn't have been an issue at all.
            No. Absolutely wrong.

If you notice the woman who's supposed to take care of your child is where you are, without said child, then you stop whatever you're doing and ask where your child is.

Comment

The Huckster, why is the mother completely wrong? When my son was young and I was a single mother I auditioned and worked at several strip clubs. When you audition it is not like only one person is there. You "audition" in front of management and the patrons of the place, one place I auditioned for had 100 customers inside at the time. The babysitter (and ride) did come in to tell me that she my mother had called and picked my son up but I didn't even notice her until the end of my dance when she came up and told me.

but I guess that was just me being a bad mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post
                The Huckster, why is the mother completely wrong? When my son was young and I was a single mother I auditioned and worked at several strip clubs. When you audition it is not like only one person is there. You "audition" in front of management and the patrons of the place, one place I auditioned for had 100 customers inside at the time. The babysitter (and ride) did come in to tell me that she my mother had called and picked my son up but I didn't even notice her until the end of my dance when she came up and told me.
                I was specifically rebuking Rageaholic's specific mention that "Even if she did notice her friend was there..."

If she hadn't noticed, then yes, she was unaware of what her friend was doing, and thus shouldn't take the brunt of the responsibility for the act of leaving the baby in the car.

Comment

the brunt of the responsibility should be on the friend.

however-
                  1. the girl left in the car apparently was wearing the heavy coat- in other words, had to have got in the car wearing it. THAT is on the mother- since she should have noticed her kid was wearing a coat inappropiate for the weather.
                  2. the windows were apparently done up. Um, that's asking for trouble. either the babysitter stays in the car with the kid- presumably with windows at least cracked open- or BOTH kid and babysitter should be out of the car.

In short, the mother wasn't being a brilliant parent regardless. However, in terms of the kid being left alone in a hot car, she is blameless, since she could not reasonably have known the kid was unsupervised.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                    However, in terms of the kid being left alone in a hot car, she is blameless, since she could not reasonably have known the kid was unsupervised.
                    Well, we don't know whether she could have or couldn't have reasonably known the kid was left alone. We only have bits and pieces of the story.

IF the mother knew her friend was in the club without the child, she is absolutely to be blamed for being a shitty parent.

IF the mother didn't know her friend was in the club, then yes, she is blameless.

But the article mentions neither of those scenarios and I can't find an article that says one way or the other.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                    X