Model says she needs $262 million...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model says she needs $262 million...

Yeah...but hey, I guess if she can get it...

from the article:

In court, Estrada—as reported by the Daily Mail—stated her demands for “£55 ($73) million for property and a £1 ($1.3) million-a-year clothes budget, including £40,000 ($53,000) for fur coats, £109,000 ($146,000) for haute couture dresses and £21,000 ($28,000) for shoes every year.”
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainme...a0g?li=BBnbfcL

She's seeking divorce from a Saudi billionaire who is worth around 11 billion USD, after 13 years of marriage, because her husband married a 25-year-old TV presenter. While still married to her, of course.

Honestly: if he's really worth 11 billion $, then the 262 million she wants is less than five percent of his wealth. After thirteen years of marriage, I don't find that an unreasonable percentage. Sure, it's a ludicrous amount of money from a normal person's perspective, but that's the rich for you.

Sure, the husband's legal team may protest that her claims are excessive, but I doubt their client lives any less excessively. So, meh.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

while it IS ridiculous, I can actually potentially see her point. In a divorce settlement, ideally, both sides are able to live in the way they are accustomed to. In other words, IF this is the lifestyle she is used to, she actually has a point, especially since the divorce is not no-fault ( basically, her husband married another woman in Saudi Arabia.

In short, yes, she is clearly unaware of how much the average person spends, however, if she truly is used to this lifestyle, she may not be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
        Honestly: if he's really worth 11 billion $, then the 262 million she wants is less than five percent of his wealth. After thirteen years of marriage, I don't find that an unreasonable percentage. Sure, it's a ludicrous amount of money from a normal person's perspective, but that's the rich for you.
        And what did she do to deserve it? Marry a rich guy? Just cause she successfully pulled off a gold-digger job doesn't mean she deserves a pension that big a chunk of his.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          And what did she do to deserve it? Marry a rich guy? Just cause she successfully pulled off a gold-digger job doesn't mean she deserves a pension that big a chunk of his.
          I don't know what she did. I don't know what he did, either. Is he a self-made billionaire who worked his fingers to the bone to build his fortune? Or did he inherit a bunch of oilfields from his father and hasn't worked a day in his life? No idea.

What did either of them do to deserve that kind of money? What *can* anybody really do to deserve that kind of money? It's not about deserving, it's about the law: most countries have some kind of law that basically says, if you get divorced from someone who's much less rich than you are, then you owe them money. And you owe them money that is commensurate to the lifestyle they had before, so it would be inappropriate to demand that she start living in a one-bedroom apartment when she had a mansion before.

Whether she's entitled to two servants or twenty, one house or four, is for the courts to decide. But demanding less than five percent of his assets doesn't seem greedy to me. Not when considering the relative worth.
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

um, they were married for 13 years. I very much doubt she is a gold-digger.

In answer to your question, however, it's more- as I said earlier- that if this is the lifestyle she is accustomed to, then it is sorta unfair to make her make massive cuts to her lifestyle because her husband is apparently bored of her.

For that matter, the usual argument is that, for a spouse who didn't work, said nonworking spouse enabled the working spouse to work more- contributing to the success of the working spouse.

Comment

To answer the questions about her ex-husband:

1) Family is filthy rich so he was born into it.
              2) He tried to get diplomatic immunity then argue it protected him from divorce court.
              3) This is wife number #3 ( the 25 year old ). He ditched wife #1 after 24 years ( and has 3 kids with her ) and then #2 after 13 ( and has 1 kid with her ) to trade in for the 25 year old. He's 60, for reference.

So, yeah, fuck him. -.-

Comment

Combine that with apparently trying to hide assets from the divorce court- I doubt he is worth only $865 million, so the $11 billion estimated by his wife's lawyers is probably at least far more accurate- If I was the judge, I would be tempted to award more than was actually asked for ( which IS, I believe legally allowed- in a contested divorce, the judge controls how much is awarded)

but yeah, the guy's a sleazeball and seems to be trying to do the reverse of gold-digging (keep a wife around until she is too old for your tastes, then chuck her away. effectively, the attitude almost treats the wife like a prostitute only allowed a single customer.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  3) This is wife number #3 ( the 25 year old ). He ditched wife #1 after 24 years ( and has 3 kids with her ) and then #2 after 13 ( and has 1 kid with her ) to trade in for the 25 year old. He's 60, for reference.
                  Who is this guy, Walder Frey?
                  Customer: I need an Apache.
                  Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
                    Who is this guy, Walder Frey?
                    I'd go with stereotypical rich guy. I mean, if she was wife number two, why did she believe (if she actually did believe) that he wouldn't leave her too for a younger woman?
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Well, why did he believe he could just discard his wife for a younger one without paying for the privilege? Moreover, why should he get away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
                        Well, why did he believe he could just discard his wife for a younger one without paying for the privilege? Moreover, why should he get away with it?
                        Probably the culture that he was raised in made it seem okay. And he didn't discard her, he just married another woman and she refused to share him. I mean, this is the kind of stuff you need to figure out before you marry someone. You don't marry someone who is into polygamy if you aren't. What he did was totally acceptable where he was from.

Comment

Probably the culture that he was raised in made it seem okay. And he didn't discard her, he just married another woman and she refused to share him. I mean, this is the kind of stuff you need to figure out before you marry someone. You don't marry someone who is into polygamy if you aren't. What he did was totally acceptable where he was from.
                          Conversely, you don't marry someone and then marry someone else as well without telling them first. Especially if you're from different cultures.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

Okay, so let me get this straight: SHE is stupid, because she didn't check if he's into polygamy before she married him 13 years ago. But it's completely fine for HIM to marry another woman without checking with his wife of 13 years first?

That seems a strange understanding.

Comment

Working...
                            X