Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unarmed man shot in miami by police

http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-sho...t-unarmed-man/

Is there another side to this I havenĀ“t seem? Cause rationaly it should seem ridiculous, but frankly, I am not even surprised anymore.

Yeah, I got nothing on this one. I don't know what more an unarmed black guy could possibly do to *not* get shot than what this guy was doing. I mean laying on the ground on your back with your hands up in the air being completely co-operative? And STILL gets shot?

And why is this even a weapon drawn scenario to begin with? How the hell did the cops end up with their guns drawn? Are they incapable of, you know, going up and asking what's going on? before pulling out a firearm?

No part of this one makes a shred of sense.

Comment

Don't worry folks, my co-workers assured me that cops would never shoot at someone for no reason, practice all the time so they have great aim, and I could never understand since I've never been in such a situation.

That's right. I'm not fucking stupid enough to pull a gun on an unarmed guy playing with a toy truck and his counselor. The cop should be hung out to dry by his department and they'll do the exact damn opposite.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Don't worry folks, my co-workers assured me that cops would never shoot at someone for no reason, practice all the time so they have great aim, and I could never understand since I've never been in such a situation.
        Now they're saying he shot the black guy by accident and the officer was aiming for the autistic guy. As if that's somehow better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          Now they're saying he shot the black guy by accident and the officer was aiming for the autistic guy. As if that's somehow better.
          That's kind of what I figured happened.

But he was still just as clear as humanly possible just playing with a damn truck. It could not possibly be a simpler case of fucking moron with a gun.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My best guess is that they got a report of someone suspicious, decided "better safe than sorry" with regards to weapons drawn or not, asked them both to get on the ground, Caretaker did, Autistic Guy didn't, they saw that as a threat and aimed at Autistic Guy but shot Caretaker instead.

Still full of problems but it's really the only thing I can come up with that might explain what happened even a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
              My best guess is that they got a report of someone suspicious, decided "better safe than sorry" with regards to weapons drawn or not, asked them both to get on the ground, Caretaker did, Autistic Guy didn't, they saw that as a threat and aimed at Autistic Guy but shot Caretaker instead.
              The report they got was that the autistic guy was supposedly suicidal and had a gun ( how anyone came to that conclusion I have nfi ). Which, if it were true, would mean that they showed up and tried to shoot a suicidal person. A suicidal person whose therapist was with him assuring the police that no one had a gun.

Even if he were suicidal, had a gun and was waving it around you don't just open fire when there's an innocent bystander right there in the line of said fire.

Comment

It all hinges on how reasonable the cop's belief the guy was about to be shot. I's not perfect, but as a general rule, if inaction would cause someone to get shot anyway, then accidentally shooting someone in the attempt to prevent them getting shot isn't a crime.

of course, if the autistic guy really was just playing with his toy truck, then the cop really needs to be fired, and charged with murder.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  of course, if the autistic guy really was just playing with his toy truck, then the cop really needs to be fired, and charged with murder.
                  Well, attempted murder, or possibly even assault with a dangerous weapon. The guy was shot in the leg and is expected to recover fully.

Comment

attempted murder then. ( that does lend credence to the officer's story that he was aiming for the autistic guy, though. That, ultimately, means that the rights and wrongs of this rest on a) was the autistic guy armed and b) did the cop reasonably believe the autistic guy was going to shoot either the counsellor or the officer.

Comment

Update: Police union claims cop was actually aiming for the autistic man, and "trying to protect the worker..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/miami-o...tead-1.3690779

Even if you could possibly buy this, why did they promptly cuff the therapist they "protected", and left him lying in the street face-down for 20 minutes before aiding him???

This is supposed to be police protection? Sounds more like the Mob's idea of protection!
                      Customer: I need an Apache.
                      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post

Still full of problems but it's really the only thing I can come up with that might explain what happened even a little bit.
                        I mean, considering how long the cops were there before the officer fired his weapon, there was plenty of time to realize there was no threat.

Comment

Sounds believable to me. After all, those people who keep armories in their homes, don't they say the reason is so that they can shoot their wives and children to protect them from burglars?
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            Of course it makes it better! At least for the Black Lives Matter folks. See, they have sent the message loud and clear that the only police shootings that matter are when a white cop shoots someone of color...even if the cop was in no way a racist and the shooting was necessary (such as the Michael Brown case). Obviously though in this case there was no excuse for this flagrant abuse of power and I hope the "cop" gets thrown under the bus.

Had the caregiver of the autistic guy been white, you would not hear a peep from the BLM people because unless it's a white cop shooting a person of color, it's no big deal. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Estil View Post
                              Of course it makes it better! At least for the Black Lives Matter folks.
                              Which BLM folks claimed that? When?

See, they have sent the message loud and clear...
                              Same question. When did that message get sent, and by whom? Does this person or person's views reflect the BLM group as a whole?

Had the caregiver of the autistic guy been white, you would not hear a peep from the BLM people because unless it's a white cop shooting a person of color, it's no big deal. :P
                              Maybe there's a reason for that. The Guardian studied this, and found young black men were 9 times more likely to be killed by police than others.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oung-black-men

By all means challenge the results of the study if you can. If you can't, and still want to trot out the All Lives Matter talking point... I'll just leave this here:

Obviously though in this case there was no excuse for this flagrant abuse of power and I hope the "cop" gets thrown under the bus.
                              That's the only thing you've said that made sense.
                              Customer: I need an Apache.
                              Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Working...
                              X