Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLM UK: protesting agains the racist issue of... climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM UK: protesting agains the racist issue of... climate change?

Okay, just came across this article here.

I can somewhat understand the point they're trying to make:

"7/10 of the countries most affected by climate change are in sub-Saharan Africa," the account tweeted. "By 2050 there will be 200 million climate refugees. Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis."

But still, it strikes me as a bit... silly. What do you say? Am I just not getting it?
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

you're not getting it, but it's easy enough to explain.

1. Climate change ( If it exists- this is not a debate on the merits on if climate change is real) will affect less developed countries first
    2. Less developed countries are mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa
    3. Sub-Saharan africa is majority black
    4. rich countries, as a rule, tend to be more likely to oppose action to combat climate change
    5. rich countries tend to be majority white ( this is not a claim of causation, before anyone accuses me of racism- merely correlation.)
    6. As such, it can be alleged that there is an element of racism in rich countries' refusal to do a great deal to combat climate change.

I'm not entirely sure that it is racism that is motivating the refusal to do anything about it as much as tribalism- as in, it isn't affecting rich countries- or at least, they can cope- so they aren't as interested in solving the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post

I'm not entirely sure that it is racism that is motivating the refusal to do anything about it as much as tribalism- as in, it isn't affecting rich countries- or at least, they can cope- so they aren't as interested in solving the problem.
      However, by tying the issue to race, there's potentially a greater chance to have the issue heard and addressed.
      I has a blog!

Comment

On the other hand, making too strong a link to race- as in, claiming that not doing anything about climate change makes you a racist- might put people off for similar reasons to the " might as well be damned for a sheep as a lamb" issue ( if someone thinks there is no way for them not to be racist, they will be more inclined not to try)

That, and since racism can be politically charged, it can bring in enemies unnecessarily. (For instance, Social Security and Medicare used to have far wider bipartisan support, since it used to be seen by pro-worker activists as the government supporting workers, and pro-business activists as ensuring a healthy workforce. However, it has become linked- somewhat unfairly- to the argument between " small government" activists, and those who believe the government should intervene more often.)

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          you're not getting it, but it's easy enough to explain.
          I get that, yes. That was the gist of the part I quoted. But I still think it's silly to call something racist that isn't actually motivated by racism.

Sure, you can do that for the attention; but I'm not really sure this is actually going to be productive - as in, while they may have a better chance at getting people to notice the issue, they're also increasing the chance at having people dismiss their argument, because it doesn't really make sense.
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

I actually agree with you- but it's worth acknowledging that they aren't making it up out of whole cloth.

Comment

You're right; but IMO, that still doesn't make it any better. Because

1) they're diluting the meaning of the word "racism", thus weakening it.
              2) they're giving the impression that apparently, black people in the UK have no issues worth protesting against - in the sense of, how bad could it be for black people in the UK if they have to look to the Sahara for black people to help?

Comment

Anything can be tied to race. I'm surprised BLM hasn't tried tying snow-related car accidents to racism. Racist white snow caused him to crash because he's black.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
                  Anything can be tied to race. I'm surprised BLM hasn't tried tying snow-related car accidents to racism. Racist white snow caused him to crash because he's black.
                  Please crawl back to whatever other forum you came from and spare us. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
                    "Angel Food Cake" and "Devil's Food Cake" have been tied to race.

Neither has anything to do with race, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
                      "Angel Food Cake" and "Devil's Food Cake" have been tied to race.

Neither has anything to do with race, of course.
                      Devils Food Cake, of course, is much more delicious. So, wouldn't it be reverse racism? More people are choosing the one that is black.

Or would that fall under appropriating the black item?

Comment

Working...
                      X