Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm pretty sure I've figured out my vote for President...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm pretty sure I've figured out my vote for President...

And it's NOT either of the "major" parties.

I'm 100% onboard with at least two of their proposals. The "Anti-Corruption Act" (http://anticorruptionact.org/) and "Approval Voting" (https://electology.org/approval-voting).

Some of the others I disagree with, but it's not like this party's gonna get elected anyway.

That's the problem with "third party" and "independent" candidates. People think they don't have a chance, because reasons, and therefore it ends up being a self-fulfilling thing, and/or they think "third party" candidates are "crazies" and/or "a bunch of loons".

They don't mention it, but I'd personally like to see a change to the debate formats in the U.S. I've seen a couple of interesting ideas tossed around, but politicians would never go for it.
    Last edited by mjr; 09-11-2016, 07:35 AM.

Which party / candidate? I see two ( good ) proposals and a movement behind them but no direct mention of a formal party / candidate that is running under their banner. Granted, its 2am and I am heavily medicated.

Given the third party pickings currently on display ( a stoner idiot and a moron ) it'd be nice to see at least one third party candidate that isn't crazy, an idiot, or some mixture of both. Its hard enough to get a third party candidate taken seriously when the third party candidates anyone is remotely familiar with are sideshow acts to the circus already going on. -.-

Comment

In all honesty, this party.

Though like I said, I'm not 100% sure. Some of their positions I don't really agree with, and some are a too liberal for my taste. But I guess no party is perfect.

Though they don't officially seem to have someone running under their banner, which I find strange. So they're definitely going to be a write-in.
      Last edited by mjr; 09-11-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
        Though they don't officially seem to have someone running under their banner, which I find strange.
        Bit odd, yeah. Doesn't look like they run anyone for president or congress or much else. Their only two electoral victories are the constable of Lee County, Alabama and "Judge of Election for the Fifth Division in Philadelphia's 56th Ward".

They seem like a reasonable enough centerist party though. Odd that they didn't run anyone for president if not just for some exposure. I mean if Vermin Supreme can make it onto the news cycle now and then ( Nevermind Johnson and Stein ) then they definitely could with a candidate.

With how polarized US politics are there should be a fair amount of people that just want a middle ground. Granted, its hard to overcome that feeling of pointlessness ( and the political and media shut out ) when it comes to third party candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
          They don't mention it, but I'd personally like to see a change to the debate formats in the U.S. I've seen a couple of interesting ideas tossed around, but politicians would never go for it.
          I say just make it simple: Are you on enough ballots to win the Presidency (enough ballots to get 270 votes)? If yes, you're in the debates.

No 15% polling, no fees, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
            I say just make it simple: Are you on enough ballots to win the Presidency (enough ballots to get 270 votes)? If yes, you're in the debates.

No 15% polling, no fees, nothing else.
            The polling threshold is rather problematic since it sets a chicken/egg problem for a third party.

But I mean if you can have clown car debates like the GOP primaries I don't see how the addition of a third candidate to a presidential debate would destroy the fabric of America.

Comment

Honestly, I think that the major problem I have with third parties is that I really only see them show up and start opening their mouths during the Presidential election... and then they VANISH again. I feel like they only gun for PoTUS and nothing else.

If they want a chance of getting PoTUS, they need to gun for state level first, and then move on up.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                If they want a chance of getting PoTUS, they need to gun for state level first, and then move on up.
                While some like Nader or Perot didn't have much of a political career, the bigger third parties in recent years have. Gary Johnson was governor of New Mexico, and Jill Stein at least ran for governor of Massachusetts. In 2008 Libertarian candidate Bob Barr and Green Party candidate Cynthia McKinney were each in congress.

Comment

Yeah but the problem is that those are single examples from an entire party. So people in New Mexico know of Gary Johnson and his party, maybe people in the surrounding states... but someone from the East Coast? Probably no idea.

Most people don't know anyone in Congress other than their own elected officials (if they even know who those are.) You need more than just one person in a position to get people to turn and pay attention to the party. Because people often vote for parties, not just the person running for the party.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                    Yeah but the problem is that those are single examples from an entire party. So people in New Mexico know of Gary Johnson and his party, maybe people in the surrounding states... but someone from the East Coast? Probably no idea.

Most people don't know anyone in Congress other than their own elected officials (if they even know who those are.) You need more than just one person in a position to get people to turn and pay attention to the party. Because people often vote for parties, not just the person running for the party.
                    I think, especially after Gary Johnson's run, there will be some big publicity on the part of the libertarian party that might encourage local campaigns in the coming years. While he obviously isn't going to win the presidency, he's got enough of a cult following that people who are at least following the election are noticing.

As for the green party, probably not as much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                      I think, especially after Gary Johnson's run, there will be some big publicity on the part of the libertarian party that might encourage local campaigns in the coming years. While he obviously isn't going to win the presidency, he's got enough of a cult following that people who are at least following the election are noticing.

As for the green party, probably not as much.
                      I actually saw a Gary Johnson sign out today on my way to work. I was surprised.

Comment

Well I live in Kentucky so my vote for President means absoultely nothing. Shoot I'm 36 now I can vote for myself if I want!

Now for our mayoral election OTOH, we do have four contenders...

Comment

Cthulu for President! Why settle for the LESSER of two evils?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            Cthulu for President! Why settle for the LESSER of two evils?
                            Or Palpatine/Vader 2016.

Though some may argue that Cthulu is the lesser of two evils in this election.

Comment

Originally posted by Estil View Post
                              Well I live in Kentucky so my vote for President means absoultely nothing.
                              Yep. In West Virginia and it feels the same. The state's going to swing Red because Republicans are the ones who keep promising to rewind time 70 years to when coal mining was good respectable work.
                              "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                              TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                              X