Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police officer files lawsuit against BLM, others...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police officer files lawsuit against BLM, others...

A black Dallas Police Sergeant, who is also the President of the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation, is suing Black Lives Matter and a plethora of others (including Hillary Clinton, George Soros, and others).

Why? Read for yourselves...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/18...ter-obama.html

http://www.freedomwatchusa.org/serge...artment-becom2

http://www.freedomwatchusa.org/pdf/1...mplaint%20.pdf

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local...p-violence.ece

Originally posted by mjr View Post
    Why? Read for yourselves...
    Y'know, it's typically good manners to summarize the issue and state your position, particularly when the primary function of site is to debate.

For everybody else, then, the police officer is suing the group of defendants for "incitement of violence against police" and for, essentially, inciting a race war. He's represented by Larry Klayman of Freedom Watch and is asking for over $500 million in damages.

I'll even throw in a non-biased link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local...p-violence.ece

Honestly, I think his case isn't going to go anywhere, particularly with that many defendants. And I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that a third party group helped push this to try to shine more BS on the Clinton campaign.
    I has a blog!

Comment

If you'll look closely at my original post, I actually put the link for the Dallas Morning News in there. Along with a link to the actual complaint itself.
      Last edited by MadMike; 09-20-2016, 02:48 AM. Reason: We've already read it, thanks!

Comment

If you'll look closely at my original post, I actually put the link for the Dallas Morning News in there. Along with a link to the actual complaint itself.
        Which is neither summarizing the issue nor stating your position on it. Links are supposed to supplement your position not replace it.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
          Honestly, I think his case isn't going to go anywhere, particularly with that many defendants. And I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that a third party group helped push this to try to shine more BS on the Clinton campaign.
          The lawyer in question here once sued Obama for supposedly secretly allowing ebola into the US to kill white people. Along side suing him for not being born in America, sneaking into the White House, etc. He's even currently suing the RNC alleging they conspired against Trump.

Basically, he's a conservative nutjob attention whore.

Comment

So I read through most of the suit this morning. While yes, there are a number of defendants named, I believe some of the points made within it are valid. Granted, to be fair, that doesn't mean that the suit will succeed. Just that I believe that some of the points made (and examples cited) within the suit are valid.

Comment

So I read through most of the suit this morning. While yes, there are a number of defendants named, I believe some of the points made within it are valid. Granted, to be fair, that doesn't mean that the suit will succeed. Just that I believe that some of the points made (and examples cited) within the suit are valid.
              What points in this are valid? I wasn't able to bring myself to read through all 66 pages of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                What points in this are valid? I wasn't able to bring myself to read through all 66 pages of it.
                Keeping in mind that correlation does not imply causation, there are examples such as the officer who was shot fifteen times while putting gas in his car (patrol car, I assume, the complaint isn't specific there) -- while he was in uniform -- after one of the named defendants (I'd have to go back to see which one) had made negative, and one could argue, arguments that possibly instigated the shooting of said officer.

The shooter allegedly didn't know the officer, and had not had previous interactions with him.

Also, another example was cited of a man who "targeted" two police officers who were just sitting in their car.

And another who was shot "execution style".

There are many in the complaint, and the complaint argues that they all took place after a named defendant made an incitement statement.

The complaint also cites Dallas as an example, as apparently that guy shot police after the named defendants allegedly said something negative and hostile toward police in general.

Comment

So... because someone - i.e. BLM - says, "All Cops are bastards/racist/whatever", and someone else then goes out and shoots cops, it's BLM's fault? That seems really farfetched.
                  "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                  "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
                    So... because someone - i.e. BLM - says, "All Cops are bastards/racist/whatever", and someone else then goes out and shoots cops, it's BLM's fault? That seems really farfetched.
                    The complaint seems to allege that it's beyond that. The complaint alleges it's that the named defendants not only said negative things, that some of them allegedly said things that could be construed by individuals to "take action" as it were, and to target police/whites.

There are quotes in the complaint itself.

It almost seems like what they're aiming for in the complaint is some sort of "guilt by association".

And remember, it was the officer who decided to take legal action. He did manage to find a lawyer. It's not like some cases where it's the other way around.

Comment

If you're going to support suing the public figures and BLM leaders for inciting violence for their statements, you better be prepared for supporting any lawsuits against Ann Coulter, Donald Trump, and other figures for saying just as inciteful statements that may have contributed to hate crimes against Muslims and others.

Comment

The complaint seems to allege that it's beyond that. The complaint alleges it's that the named defendants not only said negative things, that some of them allegedly said things that could be construed by individuals to "take action" as it were, and to target police/whites.
                        Such as Trump saying things that were construed to be death threats?

The problem I have with this lawsuit is that it exists in a vacumn.

"it's not the action of fellow police officers that incite people to hate them it's only the people that say they should"

Situations like these people often treat like they came out of the blue. Kid whose picked on every single day for a year punches his bully suddenly the school wants to know who incited the boy to violence while ignoring the obvious part of him being bullied.

Like was said there are extremists in every group inciting people to action but it only ever seems to be the people against what the group stands for in the first place that wants to blame it on the entire group.

Cops are not innocent because most cops are innocent.

Nor are most cops guilty because some cops are guilty.

I like/respect/ and dislike cops on a case by case basis.

My father committed and was being investigated for a heinous crime. He killed himself before justice could be had. One of the officers on the case was pissed.

A few years later three kids at my brother's school started a fire and the students were evacuated. The three kids were popular and the cop investigating the same one pissed at my dad recognized my brother and decided the son would pay where the father did not.

He teamed up with the three kids in the courtroom and they all painted my little brother as the culprit sending him to Juvie because luckily he was at least a minor and the fire had been a very minor one.

After my brother got out we were able to prove he was innocent. My brother's record was NOT expunged, the three kids received 0 punishment, and the cop was given desk duty until his retirement.

This happened because one cop had a vendetta against my father for a very real crime that my dad committed and took it out on my family.

The truly messed up part was that the crime had been AGAINST my family. So he decided he couldn't get my dad in jail he would harass my dad's victims. Brilliant.

I am thus wary of cops and even something like having to go into a store with something I bought in another store sends me into panic attacks because I am sure no matter how irrational it is that they will claim I have stolen it from their store.

I didn't need an organization to tell me to feel this way.

And we were targeted because of our relation.

There are millions being targeted because of the color of their skin. They know this. They knew this before BLM was a thing and cops were killed because of this long before BLM was here.

But those of us who are white? Those of us that can't fathom being targeted for something we can't control, until it happens to us, spent years saying "It's all in your heads those cops don't target me for being white so of course they aren't targeting you for being black.

Which is an argument akin to saying there was no such thing as Slavery in the US because the slave owners weren't slaves.

So no suing these groups isn't about how they are "inciting" action it's about the fact they are raising awareness it's about the fact they aren't standing silently by while some white family calls the shooting of a black kid a "tragic failure of our socitey" and meaning "well you know cuz the kid turned to life of crime" instead of "because he played with the same toy gun I bought bobby"

If this was truly about stopping people from inciting violence against others then Nancy Grace, Bill O'Reilly, and Ann Coulter wouldn't have jobs.

I am sure there are ones on every side of every issue saying "wouldn't a bit of violence help" I disagree with all of them but you can spark a match all you want without kindling there will be no fire. So instead of screaming down the matches let's clear out some of the underbrush instead and make sure we avoid wildfires in the future.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

And remember, it was the officer who decided to take legal action. He did manage to find a lawyer. It's not like some cases where it's the other way around.
                          Actually no, if you read your own links you'll see this was an existing class action suit that the nutjob lawyer had already filed 2 months ago. The officer is just joining the suit as the only other person stupid enough to sign their name too it.

Fox/Dallas are just headline baiting with their wording.

Comment

What's your point? If I were also a right-wing nutjob OR I just like free money, I'd take the case too.

The noise to signal ratio is too high on this one. This also violates my "Is George Soros named?" test which immediately tells me all I need to know about it. Unless of course the person actually has financial dealings with George, but seriously. My left wing equivalent is seeing the Koch brothers named on things.
                            Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 09-20-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
                              What's your point? If I were also a right-wing nutjob OR I just like free money, I'd take the case too.
                              Er? My point was just that the headlines and mjr's impression are not quite correct. The lawyer had already filed on behalf of himself. Then amended the officer to the suit 2 months later. Contrary to the "Officer files suit" in the headlines or the idea that the officer went and found a lawyer to take his case.

Comment

Working...
                              X