Buy American Cars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy American Cars!

I heard an ad today on the radio talking about how buying an American car. It said that for every foreign job in the car industry that is created, about 10 American jobs are lost.

I kind of scoffed when I heard it. The crash safety ratings of American cars are legendary for their crapness. The fuel consumption and emissions of American cars are crap. Their resale value does not hold a candle to a Japanese or German car. American car companies fail to learn anything from their foreign counterparts. They continue to roll out these shitty cars that look good on the surface, but fall apart on the inside after a couple of years.

My issue with it is this: They want me to feel guilty for choosing reliability over patriotism? The egomania of people here drives me crazy sometimes. If you don't want to lose your jobs to foreign companies, then make better cars! This country is so full of itself, that it is driving itself full speed into the ground. The commercial was obviously privately run by some people with an agenda, I doubt the radio station sponsored it.

It's kind of like this customer I had once...she didn't want to buy anything foreign. She said that it's Americans who are starving. And like China is doing any better? How many fat people have you seen over in China?

Anybody heard ads like this or have any position on it?

Squall: Yeah I've heard those ads and sen the bumper stickers on the back of fords and chevys here in appalchia. Notoriously a pro union, pro american stronghold. I have nothing against people wanting to drum up the business they are a part of or supporting their country and lively hood. I mean we've had several auto plants close in southern ohio recently.
    I just wish they would take a look under the hoods of their own cars though as there is no truely 100% american made car any more. I would hazard a guess that just about every car out there either has parts out sourced from somewhere beyond the territorial boundaries of america,or is a design that orginated outside the boundaries of america and are only being built here as rebadged something elses.

As for American cars being crud I'll have to disagree with you. I have never owned a car that was newer than 6 years old (ie if the current year was 2000 the newest car I owned was a 1994 model year) and on the average they have all been over 10 years old. I've driven these thign into the dirt and then back out again in a couple cases. The've been reliable, repairable and in the few instances where I was involved in a wreck safe. I think a lot of the PR for non-american cars is BS. You get good makes and models and examples from every make out there.

Comment

Living in the American Auto Capital aka Detroit, I can assure you Squall that I have to hear those ads 24/7, read about them in the paper, see them on TV, and get literature passed out to me at my campus. Strangely enough, I live near the Chrysler World Headquarters Building (10 minutes) and I just heard that they were going on sale? I will agree that there are some American cars that are plain crap nowadays but I prefer driving Japanese models, which is what I'm looking at after my Saturn. However the older cars seem to work just fine, my Saturn has 135,000 miles on it and it's still going on just fine. Nowadays I've been reading reports of all sorts of crazy things happening to cars. Ford seems to get the worst of it especially.

Interesting sidenote: If you remember the Chrysler commercials that featured a man named Dr. Z, he was the company's CEO. Driving by the world headquarters there was a HUGE portrait of him on the side of the building. That thing scared the crap out of me.
      "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

American cars have gotten better since the dark days of the 1980s. Ford Tempo, anyone? GM, Chrysler, and Ford have made great strides in trying to catch up to the imports. They seem to be about even now.

With that said, I don't think "quality" is the main reason the Big Three is having problems now. Simply put, their costs are too high--years ago, they made contracts with the unions over pensions and healthcare...and are now paying dearly because of it. Those costs have to go somewhere, and got passed along to the consumer.

Also, the past few years, GM, Ford, and Chrysler put so much emphasis into their various SUVs. Then gasoline went over $3.00 a gallon last year. Suddenly, they found themselves with a shitload of vehicles that nobody wanted. They had to offer *huge* incentives to shift them.

I've also noticed that GM is somewhat slow to react to changes in the market. They announced their tweaked Cobalt, what, 10 years after the "tuner wars" started? Maybe if they'd been ahead of things, maybe many tuners would want Chevys instead of Acuras...

As to crash-worthiness...many less-expensive imported cars are actually *worse!* Several Hyundais and Kias got D or F ratings in crash tests by the insurance companies. It's not who makes the cars, but how they're designed. With the desire for increased economy, cars have become lighter. However, with that, they've lost some of their strength. In other words, they don't make 'em like they used to.

For example, back in '93, my father was pulling my '87 Tempo out of a parallel spot. Some dumbass in a 1970s Pontiac broadsided him, and tossed the car 40 feet. My car lost a door, and he had a concussion. But, he walked away from it and the car was still driveable. 6 years later, my brothers were in a similar accident...in a '95 Saturn SL2. They had serious injuries...and the car had to be cut apart to get them out Both cars were about the same size, but the Saturn fared worse, simply because of how it was built.

I will say that I've always had foreign cars. Well, after the Tempo, that is. I had so many problems with that goddamn car, and after getting treated like crap by most of the American auto dealers...I bought a Toyota.

That car was sold in 2000, after 100,000 trouble-free miles. I bought a new Mazda that year...which, other than some annoying electrical issues (the powered door locks tend to stick occasionally), has been pretty reliable as well. It's about to go over 111,000 miles

Rahmota is right. Very few cars are 100% American anymore. They all tend to use parts from various places. The days when everything was made here are long-gone.

Comment

Hmm Protege you must have gotten a bad Tempo. The one my wife had gave us plenty of reiable service until she got shoved into a guaradrail by a person trying to pass in a no passing zone. She walked away from that one. But then again all companies have quality issues on a few models. Hence the old adage about a monday morning or friday afternoon car. (ie the workers where still hungover on monday morning or ready to go on friday afternoon and not payign as close attention)

I would say your assesment of the slowness of the big three to react to the changing market by continuing to push big suvs and not keeping up with the trends. Chrysler is haivng trouble with getting that message by replacing the neon with the cuteute rampage or whatever its called.

I'll agree about the crash ratings. I sometimes have to go out to a local scrap yard to get parts and the cars that come in there you can tell which ones are made with attention to crash ratings and which ones arnt. Some of the small cars are made ok.

Somethign funny about Mazda they are owned by ford motor company so you're still driving a ford.

Comment

Originally posted by rahmota View Post
            Hmm Protege you must have gotten a bad Tempo.
            Quality on those things seemed to be hit-or-miss. I know people who had good ones...but the horror stories tended to outnumber them.

As for Chrysler, you'd think they would have learned from the *first* time they got into trouble...and had to rely on government assistance to get out of it. The one thing that saved their bacon was the minivan--it was an instant hit, and the roads haven't been the same since.

Ford owns about 33.4% of Mazda...and given their current problems, might be unloading some of it. GM has already started unloading some of their Asian operations, namely Subaru.

Comment

Are Ford Taurus any good? I was thinking about buying one but I didn't know if they had a good reputation or not.

Comment

After the Tempo destroyed itself, my parents bought a thoroughly-used Taurus. We're talking "beat to death" here. It was a POS...but simply because it was never taken care of...the vehicle's quality had nothing to do with it. It's POS-ness was because of owner cheapness and laziness. Because of that, I really can't comment on the reliability one way or the other. I've heard good things about the newer ones though.

Even a Ferrari will be unreliable if you don't take care of it.

Comment

I've never owned a vehicle that hasn't been made in America except an old BMW that was improted from France. I've never had a problem with any of them except the Beemer, but that had to do with being 30 years old.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. I've modified several for my friends both with performance and cosmetic applications, and there's just so much more stuff available to do and so many more parts for imports than domestics.

Comment

Protege: Hmmm. I'll take your word for it on the Tempo. Aside from my wife's and a few others I never heard/payed attention to the stuff about the car. We bought it for 400$ and sold it after she got hit in it for 110 scrap value. Fords in general have been a bleah for me aside from crown vics and F series trucks. But even the new F trucks dont thrill me since you cannot get one in a stick shift! And to me that just isnt a truck I'm a traditionalist.

Yeah Chrysler is trying to be "innovative" and all they are doing is glossing up the same junk they where pushing back then. MDS (multiple displacement System), Suv's after fuel is getting expensive again, etc.... OH yeah I found the name of the neon replacement it is the Nitro....An explosive little vehcile.

I wasnt sure how much of Mazda Ford owned. I wouldnt be surprised if they did start unloading stuff thanks to their current problems.

Whats funny about GM is they are trying harder. They have 6 new produciton models coming out (yeah some are just redressed older stuff but its the thought that counts in marketing) a new SAAB and some future plans/concepts.

Rubystars: I've not dealt much with Tauri other than what came through the dealership. Most of the ones we got on the used lot where not bad and I would have considered one I suppose. I mean they arent chosen for fleet cars by big name rental comapnies and companies as well as govts for no reason. (other than they can be gotten cheap )

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Taurus.

Comment

You're welcome. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubystars View Post
                          Thanks for the info on the Taurus.
                          Take a look at the Mercury Sable as well. Except for a slightly different nose and tail, it's pretty much the same car.

Comment

Yeah ther eis that. About the only major difference between a ford, mercury and lincoln is some paint, a few body moldings and a few tweaks to the comfort levels.

Same could really be said about most of the other brands between their basic rides and their up models. Dodge-> Plymouth (before they went away) -> Chrysler

Chevy -Buick/Oldsmobile -> Cadillac

Honda -> Acura

Toyota -> Lexus

Etc...

Comment

We had an '87 Sable wagon for many years, it was the car I learned how to drive on. It was a comfortable car, ran pretty well, and put up with a lot of crap. We sold it after it rolled over 100,000 miles to another family that drove it into the ground.

However, I've noticed on the newer ones that the quality doesn't seem as good as the old one was, I think they downgraded it to a economy car.
                              I was researching cars for Mom after her PT Cruiser got totalled (oh, how I hated that car), and was not overly amused at the gas mileage on the Tauruses these days. Worse than my Forester, which has an in-line 6 and all wheel drive.

Mom had always liked my Matrix, so we found her a Vibe for ~12,000, power options and whatnot. Nice little car, it pretty much is a Toyota except for the logo. Also has a few tweaks on some options that weren't there in my Matrix.
                              The Dodge Caliber looked really interesting, too, but it was it's first model year when we got Mom her car, and I couldn't find any good deals on it yet. We are more partial to wagon-type cars, if you can't tell

Comment

Working...
                              X