Left-wing Preppers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left-wing Preppers???

My middle-daughter and her husband are left leaning (especially him.) My wife's youngest sister also falls in with them but even more-so. While I don't necessarily like it I've learned to live with it.
    My parents grew up during the Depression and WWII and with they being very poor they also have to be very thrifty. I was raised to save all I could because you might need it another day (some call it hoarding.) We had/have big gardens so we canned, dried and froze food for another day. We also had/have eating critters strictly for eating purposes. I also come from a military family (since before the French/Indian war) so we also learned about weapons and such. Having served in the US Army for 26 years I've learned a thing or two and I've collected defensive type "tools" over the years (all within the law.) Anyways the above have ridiculed me for years. I don't believe that the "man" is coming to take what is mine but that doesn't mean someone (s) else might I believe in being prepared.
    With this past presidential election the above, especially my Son and Sister in law, have been asking a lot of questions regarding food storage and possibly weapons. Now I don't have a bit of problem passing information on to my daughter and son-in-law because they're family and it also greatly benefits three of my grand children.
    While my sister-in-law is technically family I really don't care for her at all, I tolerate at best. I'll talk with her about food/medicine/etc acquisition and storage but I draw the line at weapons. Nope won't do it, after having been called the names that she has directed my way, nope.
    My wife says that I'm being too sensitive about it all that I should be the bigger person and forgive. I retorted with I've forgiven but until she apologizes or admits the hypocrisy I'm not budging on the weapons.

So I ask am I being too sensitive and should I pass along my knowledge to my Sister-in-law???
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

It's your choice, and your choice alone weather to talk about weapons to her. In all honesty, based on what you wrote, I don't blame you one bit.

Comment

it's your choice, fundamentally, though in my opinion it depends on exactly what names she has called you. If it's merely implying you're paranoid, then I'd settle for a quiet acknowledgement that I wasn't paranoid in private. If she- seriously, rather than in a rather poor joke- implied you only kept the weapons due to wanting to kill people, on the other hand, then I would require a rather more public apology that specifically admitted she was wrong. (basically, it's because what amounts to an accusation of sociopathy is serious enough that the undoubted humiliation is, in fact, reasonable.)

Comment

personally I'd ask would you rather she buys a firearm with no training or clue what's safe and possibly hurts you or your wife or someone's kids through negligence?

Would your wife forgive you if her sister harmed or killed herself through negligence?

In other words, do her wants for knowledge of safe, reliable information(a lack of which can have grave consequences), outweigh your wants of an apology?

Heck even pointing her towards correct information on the internet or the library may be helpful.

I really dislike firearms in untrained hands, and generally question how one can be ok with it. But that's me.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          personally I'd ask would you rather she buys a firearm with no training or clue what's safe and possibly hurts you or your wife or someone's kids through negligence?
          The OP's sister-in-law is a grown-ass adult no? It's her responsibility learn firearm safety. OP is not responsible for her choices.

Heck even pointing her towards correct information on the internet or the library may be helpful.
          This is reasonable, though OP is still under no obligation to do so.

I really dislike firearms in untrained hands, and generally question how one can be ok with it. But that's me.
          No argument there. Someone one said the only thing more dangerous than a loaded weapon is an operator who doesn't know how to use it. But again whether the OP is ok with it or not is irrelevant. The world is chock-full of people making stupid choices. You can't control what they do.
          Customer: I need an Apache.
          Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

As a family we used to have a message forum (similar to this) and she on several occasions called me out occasions now it's all been switched over to face-space. (A little history, I was in the Army starting in the early 70's and I was sent to RVN.) She has called me a baby killer, paranoid, heartless, murderer, etc,. has this been between the two of us, I'd just ignore her and go on but she made this public and personal. I don't think it's too much to ask that she make a public apology within the family. My wife says that her sister is too stubborn and won't concede. She has her pride and I have mine and I'm not going to swallow mine this time.

I agree ignorant folks with weapons scare me and I usually bend over backwards to educate them on safe and proper handling. I've even provided weapons, any needed ammo, venue and time for the educating process. It's not an boast when I say I've tried to educate thousands on firearms safety (I'm a firearms instructor.) I have run across several that have a bad attitude where they shouldn't be allowed firearms and have told them so. My SIL is one of those. She constantly reminds everyone that she has a PHD and is probably smarter than anyone in the family. Over the years I've learned to ignore and avoid her as I'm tired of the constant drama where she's concerned.

After having read what you all have typed I told the wife that I won't help her sister but I did refer her (via the wife) to a firearms instructor that's left-ish. She's a friend but won't take BS off of anyone regardless of politics. My suggestion is that she buys a big stick and a dog. I guess I'm being petty about this, but why does this have to wash up at my door???
            Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
              I agree ignorant folks with weapons scare me and I usually bend over backwards to educate them on safe and proper handling. <snip>

After having read what you all have typed I told the wife that I won't help her sister but I did refer her (via the wife) to a firearms instructor that's left-ish.
              You gave her information to help herself, which is fair. If she brags about being smarter than anyone that's all she needs/deserves. You gave her the name of someone suited to teach her, you as the bigger person, gave her your knowledge, she isn't entitled to your training. If I ask an expert a question, I don't expect a detailed guidebook, just a nudge in the right direction.

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
              I guess I'm being petty about this, but why does this have to wash up at my door???
              Nope not petty. Any teacher student relationship has to have a minimum level of mutual respect to succeed. For what it's worth, I think you handled it correctly(I don't have the hubris to tell people what they should do, but I do tend towards what my feelings would be in similar, my previous post was not an attempt at guilt or obligation just a look at the possible questions surrounding)
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I'm a big proponent of you own the relationship you have. So I don't think its petty at all to refuse to assist someone over certain things due to previous behavior. But you'll also own the relationship after the refusal.

You don't make peace with friends. Whether or not peace is something you want made with someone is also a decision though.

Comment

Working...
                X