• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't even believe this exsists

Linky

It makes my blood boil and my heart break at the same time

I can't even begin to think of all of the messages this book is wrong about
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

I don't even have words... o_O

EDIT:

Ok, on the surface this seems like some sort of anti-gay agenda thing. But, talking to SO, apparently it is not. He's actually seen the book, and it was created to help children who have been abused. He says it is very disturbing, but it really does help the kids in therapy. *shrug* who knew.
    Last edited by DesignFox; 04-25-2009, 02:24 AM. Reason: Found something out.
    "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
    "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

The thing is that there are some children that are confused because of abuse like this. I don't think that it is exactly anti-gay but it does have the appearance.
      "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I have nothing to say except....what...the...fuck.....o_O
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

You know... that story is such bull shit. At one point I believed the theory that I just missed the love of a father and that if I found a good patriarchal figure I would meet that need and no longer be gay (hence my joining the LDS church)... all that happened was I ended up getting a crush on the Elders Quorum President (oh, I"m going to hell). Needless to say... despite that advice I'm still gay... that child will either eventually learn to accept who he is, or he will be miserable for the rest of his life while he wonders just why he isn't happy with whatever girl he is with.

So to respond to Kiwi... it doesn't make my blood boil at all... it just makes my heart break... even as a fictional character I feel bad for the kid knowing what he's going to go through for the rest of his life.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Right-wing and ignorant "doctors" and counsellors, like Dr. Laura Schlessinger, have been proposing for some time that homosexuality is cause by a withdrawn father and an overbearing mother. This is an idiotic idea held by people determined to keep their heads up their asses. There is mountains of evidence to indicate that sexuality is determined by our genes.

If that children's book author wants to help abused children, they could write the same book but take the homosexuality aspect out of it. It's misleading and damaging.

Comment

There is one small shred of truth in that book. It is true that boys who are sexually molested quite often grow up to be men who sexually molest boys, perhaps looking for that "love" that they experienced as a child.

What does that have to be with being gay? As far as I know, nothing. As I said, it is a small shred of truth. Not a huge nugget.

Comment

What disturbed me was the line (something like) "The counsellor told me he'd help Uncle Pete" and then later, "Uncle Pete apologised and asked for forgiveness." Lulwat? Not a single mention of getting the police involved in a case of, you know, sexual abuse? -.-
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I've got a couple of different thoughts running through my head over this.

Firstly, it's fairly simplistic, and if it's aimed at teenagers, overly simplistic, perhaps to the point of being stupid or moronic.

Secondly, as Lace pointed out... what happened to the cops??

And thirdly, I'm going to counter what has been suggested previously here (with a "but..."). If a male has been sexually abused, it will cause confusion when sexuality really hits. It may cause a guy to consider that he is actually gay, when in fact he's not. It may also bring on bisexual tendencies, for similar reasons.

But... sexual abuse does not cause homosexuality, and the 2 things should never ever be confused. So, while the content of the book in that regards I don't have a major issue with if it's presented to younger people who are victims of sexual assualt, I don't think it should be given to those who are questioning or exploring their sexuality as a 'reason' for why they tend towards the way they do.

Oh the first bit (about the family situation) to me is fairly crap (other than the possibility that if the parents aren't completely clued in, they might miss what's going on in their kids life, and thus 'uncle' got away with what happened... but crappity crap crap about needing father's love leads to being gay...).
                  ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                    If a male has been sexually abused, it will cause confusion when sexuality really hits. It may cause a guy to consider that he is actually gay, when in fact he's not. It may also bring on bisexual tendencies, for similar reasons.
                    ah yes... the "but I think I might have enjoyed it complex"

only in adolescence does that become a problem... I can see a teenager who is sexually abused confuse the feelings they had as enjoying it. I can see a guilt ridden teenager thinking "I orgasmed when Uncle Chris did those things to me... that must mean that I enjoy other men doing those things to me", when the reality is that sexual sensation and sexual attraction (or even consent for that matter) are in no way linked. I'd be willing to bet that I could tie up Slyt, strip him naked and give him a blow job that would have a good feeling sensation, doesn't in anyway mean that Slyt is gay or even would enjoy it.

Comment

I had a mate (aka 'friend' for non-Aussies ) who only drank the cheap-arse crap coffee. I once made a nice well made coffee with the good stuff.. he hated it!

It's amazing what a person will 'like' purely through continued use.
                      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        I'd be willing to bet that I could tie up Slyt, strip him naked and give him a blow job that would have a good feeling sensation, doesn't in anyway mean that Slyt is gay or even would enjoy it.
                        Wiser men than I have opined that if the lights are off and people can't see who is doing what to them, chances are good that everyone will leave with a smile on their face. And in the end, does it really matter? It's what's in the brain that makes us go "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!", not the gender of the person doing those things to us, not intrinsically.

And Smiley, while I am agreeing with you philosophically on this, it does NOT mean if the lights in my hotel room are off it's an invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

And Smiley, while I am agreeing with you philosophically on this, it does NOT mean if the lights in my hotel room are off it's an invitation.
                          just remember, the master key can override the deadbolt but not the latch

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                            I had a mate (aka 'friend' for non-Aussies ) who only drank the cheap-arse crap coffee. I once made a nice well made coffee with the good stuff.. he hated it!

It's amazing what a person will 'like' purely through continued use.
                            I've noticed similar in my life. I've found now that I actually prefer the taste of cheaper and generic foods to name-brand or more expensive things and considered that it was because I've been eating those cheap brands for so long that they're what I know, and anything else is "strange". The $1 loaf of bread tastes good, the $3.50 loaf tastes like chemicals.

Comment

My father was "absent" as in he died when I was young, and my mom is a bit overbearing...
                              Oh no, I'm supposed to be gay... I guess I better tell my girlfriend of ten years.

Comment

Working...
                              X