Smoking: Whys and Wherefores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking: Whys and Wherefores?

Reading posts about "considerate smokers" makes me wonder a few things, such as...

If you are a smoker, why did you start smoking? And, even though you know how bad it is for you, why do you continue? What are the consequences you've come across, aside from the obvious, such as spending lots of money on cigarettes, health detriment, restricted to certain areas?

I am a non-smoker and have health issues that prevent me from ever becoming a smoker, so I'd like to see peoples' reasons for their choices, because I just don't understand the mentality because I've never been in that position.

I used to be attracted to the concept of smoking, just because the hand motions were relaxing to me. Also, I like the taste of cigars and cigarettes. Occasionally, I would pick up a pack of cigars or cigarettes and smoke a few on occasion. Though I never inhaled, and I never got addicted.

However, it's been a long time since I've smoked anything, and I probably never will smoke again. I'm trying really hard to take care of my body as well as possible, and tobacco use is 100% countereffective to that.

I had a friend in college who took up smoking during his second year. To me, it seemed like he simply liked being known as a smoker. I think he liked having people see him with a cigarette. In short, it gave him an identity that he liked. That was how it seemed to me, anyway.

Also, it seems to me that many people enjoy smoking because it gives them a chance to make things center around them. For example, at a former workplace, we had a lot of meetings. Every time we had one, the smokers would say, "Now, we'll need a break halfway through so we can smoke. You don't want to deal with us if we haven't had our nicotine." In this case, smoking gave them a chance to make the meetings stop just for them, which I'm sure made them feel quite important.

Comment

I do not smoke all the time. I just smoke here and there. I only smoke to get me to calm down. I.E. if I am stressed, then I will smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
        If you are a smoker, why did you start smoking?
        there are compounds in cigarette smoke that act as anti-depressants, also nicotine attaches to dopamine receptors in the the brain.

I started because someone had made me very angry-to the point of "seeing red" a friend gave me a cigarette so I wouldn't do anything I'd regret later.

And, even though you know how bad it is for you, why do you continue?
        why do people race cars? Drink alcohol, go rock climbing/hanggliding/base jumping etc. It's a personal choice-My personal feelings on the matter are this-I have watched several of my friends die from various forms of cancer, my cousin is currently going through her fourth round of chemo-she's always "done everything right"-eaten healthy, exercised regularly etc, yet she still has cancer-I'd rather die by a choice I made than do everything right and die anyway-no one lives forever, and I'm not going to stop doing something I enjoy because someone else tells me it's bad for me.

What are the consequences you've come across, aside from the obvious, such as spending lots of money on cigarettes, health detriment, restricted to certain areas?
        mainly people trying to tell me I shouldn't do it because it's bad for me. and usually these people have worse health habits than I do. I eat a balanced diet, exercise daily*, smoking is about the only "bad" habit I have-yet someone who eats fast food for 2 out of 3 meals, drinks to excess, and the most exercise they get is walking to the mailbox-thinks they're better than I am simply because of one personal choice?

*I had a stress echocardiogram a year ago, the cardiologist said I have the healthiest heart he has seen in the last 10 years.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Smoking can create a bigger impact on those in your environment - second hand smoke, for example - than fast food.

I recently dated a smoker, and it was really okay. He popped mints all the time, kept the smoke out of my face, used lots of fans in his house, etc. However, this is one, um, side effect to smoking that did have a major impact on our relationship.

Comment

I smoke because I enjoy it and I don't give a flying fucking fig what anyone thinks about it.

The more people flap their gums at me telling me to quit or telling me how bad it is, the more I'm going to smoke.

Wouldn't it be rude if I told you "You're fat. You need to lose weight before you have a heart attack!"? Of course it would. Why do you proceed to yap at me to quit smoking and go on and on and on about how bad smoking is.

That's a good idea, actually. The next time my doctor yaps at me about smoking, I'll say "You're overweight. Don't you think you ought to lose a few pounds?"

I don't smoke in non-smokers' cars, I don't smoke in my apartment, I don't smoke in restricted areas, and people still throw a hissy fit. How about we make it illegal to be fat? The majority of overweight people are overweight because it was self-induced, just like lung cancer is almost always self induced.

Comment

I'm just curious though, blas, why did you start?
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                "You're overweight. Don't you think you ought to lose a few pounds?"

I don't smoke in non-smokers' cars, I don't smoke in my apartment, I don't smoke in restricted areas, and people still throw a hissy fit. How about we make it illegal to be fat? The majority of overweight people are overweight because it was self-induced, just like lung cancer is almost always self induced.
                I can agree with that, one of the reasons I don't say anything to smokers, I'm overweight which has just as many side effects, I say make it illegal to be fat and to smoke.
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Greenday, it's been so long, I honestly don't remember. Probably to fit in with my friends or relieve stress. I was 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                    I can agree with that, one of the reasons I don't say anything to smokers, I'm overweight which has just as many side effects, I say make it illegal to be fat and to smoke.
                    And ignorant and stupid...

oh, and rude!
                    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Nah, then the jails would be overflowing.
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I am not a smoker. I do however have a friend who is a heavy smoker. I asked him many of these questions before, here are his anwsers:

"I had a cousin. She was the one of the family who did everything right. 1 glass of red wine at dinner was all the alchohol she ever had. She excersied daily, cycling, running and swimming. NEVER smoked. She used to be the most annoying and angry person in the world. She died to lung cancer a few years back, at the age of 23. Me? Im a fat guy with an unbalanced diet, I drive anywhere I need to go, Im a chain smoker. My doctor says that thanks to my heart, I will be lucky to reach 30. I, as you can attest to, am one of the calmest people you can find. I might not be where I want to in my life (he was reffering to being single at the time), but I am a happy person. So telling me that smoking is bad for me is; well, stupid."

"Why do I smoke? Well, I have a heart condition. By smoking and cloging up my lungs, I am trying to stimulate the heart to working harder, thereby trying to renew itself more. In essence, I am smoking to improve my health. (Funnily enough, his heart seems to be a rather healthy one now. No, I dont know how or why, but it seems to have worked)"

"When most people get annoyed, sad or angry, they vent. They rage and scream, they punch walls and kick stones. I just grab a smoke, light it and after I finish it, I decide what to do. I do yell sometimes, I have punched in frustration. But I did it with far less anger in my heart."

Comment

1. I started cuz "OMG I look so kool lol!" Only joking; I was in school, and the bus driver would give me and some other girls cigarettes and teach us how to inhale. We'd stand up front with him and talk. Yes, he probably was a pervert, but at the time I didn't know. XD

2. I smoke cuz I enjoy smoking, it relaxes me and I like the taste of cigarettes. I'm much less stressed on ciggies than off them. I'm not addicted; I can go without smokes for as long as is necessary, for example going on holiday with nonsmokers. I just like to smoke.

3. Same as blas; people telling me it's bad for me. I just want to shout "O Fucking RLY? I never knew that before you told me!" I know it's bad for me. So is eating fatty foods, driving, drinking alcohol and eating sweets. Big deal.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

when someone tells me that it is bad for me. Well lets just say that they can go fuck themselves.

Comment

Especially if it's a complete stranger. -.- If it's someone I know, I might tone my reaction down a bit; however, a stranger will get the full force of my displeasure.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X