No announcement yet.

Parents suing daughter's school for forcing daughter to take a pregnancy test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents suing daughter's school for forcing daughter to take a pregnancy test

12-year-old forced to take a pregnancy test by a school guidance counselor.

Guidance Counselor heard from another student this particular girl was pregnant. He pulled her out of class, asked her about it, she denied it, said the students had made up lies about her in the past. Instead of believing her, he got a pregnancy test from the school nurse & told her to go to the bathroom and take the test.

The test was negative.

At no time were the girl's parents notified of this.
    Last edited by IDrinkaRum; 05-26-2009, 01:22 AM.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

More on the story (from a neutral site):

http://www.kcra.com/news/18683372/detail.html

If the story's true, then the school absolutely deserves to be sued, they waaaayyy overstepped their bounds. However, I dismiss the claim in Rummy's link that this has anything to do with sex ed. This is about privacy rights.

Comment

This is beyond absurd. How could they think there is anything okay about this? Some people BETTER get fired for this.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Are you kidding me? And they didn't inform the parents???

I should probably withhold comment till I read more closely (I'm at work), but damn - that's absurity at it's lowest!

Comment

So every little sqwack that they hear in the halls, from now on, are they going to pull kids into the office and grill them about who is having sex with who, who is pregnant, you're taking this test right now Missy!

I say sue em for all they got. Whomever's idea it was to do this better be fired!

Comment

Every lawyer in that town is walking around with a hard on right now. Guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Every lawyer in that town is walking around with a hard on right now. Guaranteed.

Okies .. I need the spewing smiley for this ... I almost spewed my milk all over my monitor. Thanks RK! I needed that giggle!

Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I'll add my voice to the outcry. Off with his head job!

What about the two other girls who said they were forced to take pregnancy tests and had heard of a third? Perhaps they're just jumping on the bandwagon, but it sounds to me like either one guidance counselor has a hard-on for little girl pee, or the school actually has an unwritten policy of testing their students. What were they going to do if the test came back positive, anyway? Pregnant students can't be discriminated against. We had at least one pregnant girl each year at my high school. It's none of the school's effing business.

Comment

I think that the school and the counselor both, should be sued for everything they have. What if it had been his child that it happened too. He wouldn't take it sitting down.

Comment

I agree that the parents should have been notified. What about the student that started the rumor? Did that student ever get punished for starting the rumor? I say that this student (and parents) should be getting sued too. The behavior of this student caused the guidance counselor to do the test.
                    "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Would this not fall under Hippa laws or something? Anyone in the health care industry like to weigh in on this one?

Comment

The school really overstepped their boundaries having the girl take a pregnancy test without notifying the parents first. I hope the parents sue the pants off that school and that whoever came up with that idea to do that to get sacked.
                        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 05-27-2009, 05:16 AM.
                        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

It's really not a HIPPA issue, but definitely a patient's rights issue. The parents would definitely have a case if they decided to go after the district.

What I'm curious about is what the counselor was planning to do if she did turn up pregnant. Punish her? It's not like it's against school rules to have sex outside of school. It's just baffling to me.

Comment

When parents don't act as parents, the school sometimes has to step in. However, this is well over any boundaries I would consider acceptable.

Why did the school think it had any right to do this?

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

When I was at school, some of the populars used to spread rumours about me saying I was pregnant, based purely on the fact that a) I was fat and b) I hung out with the boys at our brother school. Had this policy been in place there, and I'd been asked to take a pregnancy test, I would have flatly refused. I wouldn't have given two shits about what the administration said, I wouldn't have co-operated and would have told my mum at the first opportunity. She would have hit the roof and kicked up a huge fuss.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X