Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas Doctor Shot

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/31/...led/index.html

Ugh, this makes me so sad and angry. A Kansas doctor who ran a local Planned Parenthood, and was one of the few doctors who performed late-term abortions, was shot at his church. My main question right now is: How can you claim to be pro-LIFE then go and murder someone? How ridiculous is that? Of course, to be pro-life you have to concede that a fetus has more rights than a human (specifically, a woman).

And I'm seriously worried about the state of things in Kansas. Gov. Sebelius has left us, and I don't think her successor has the same chutzpah she did in facing down all the conservative rednecks in Western Kansas (remember, these are the same people who don't want evolution taught in classrooms). Now the other big supporter for women's rights here has been killed. What next?

Yeah, it amazes me that some people have the gall to call themselves pro-life, but they see nothing wrong with comitting hate crimes against pregnant women or doctors at abortion clinics.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      My main question right now is: How can you claim to be pro-LIFE then go and murder someone? How ridiculous is that?
      "The pro-life movement works to protect the right to life and increase respect for human life," it said. "The unlawful use of violence is directly contrary to that goal."-National right to life

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      Of course, to be pro-life you have to concede that a fetus has more rights than a human (specifically, a woman).

hey don't throw us all in the same boat-I am pro-life but believe everyone has the same rights regardless of age, or location. I'd rather see abortion become unnecessary due to greater education on and availability of birth control-I don't belong to or support any groups due to my disagreement with them on assisted suicide, and the death penalty(for assisted suicide/against death penalty-FTR)

Personally I hope the shooter rots in jail-as do most of the pro-life groups(the shooter was not a member)-

Leading anti-abortion groups condemned Sunday's shooting, emphasizing they wanted to shut down Tiller's practice by legal means.

Operation Rescue, which has led numerous demonstrations at Tiller's clinic, called the shooting as a "cowardly act." And the National Right to Life Committee, the largest U.S. anti-abortion group, said it "unequivocally condemns any such acts of violence regardless of motivation."

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      Yeah, it amazes me that some people have the gall to call themselves pro-life, but they see nothing wrong with comitting hate crimes against pregnant women or doctors at abortion clinics.

remember my hate crimes thread-crimes against pregnant women are not hate crimes-pregnant women were specifically excluded from that law.
      Last edited by BroomJockey; 07-18-2009, 03:22 AM. Reason: consecutive posts
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
        "The pro-life movement works to protect the right to life and increase respect for human life," it said. "The unlawful use of violence is directly contrary to that goal."-National right to life
        That doesn't negate someone saying "I'm pro life so I'm killing this abortion doctor."

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
          That doesn't negate someone saying "I'm pro life so I'm killing this abortion doctor."
          Well in their minds an abortion doctor is a murderer or innocent children. The prolife refers to the unborn child not to life in general.

Im pro-choice not pro-life.

I personally would never have an abortion, but I feel no one has the right to stop a woman from making the choice about that herself. No woman should be judged for it by another person.
          I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

If they condemned the BarStool, then that's good. Better than PITA whom consistently fail to condemn ALF and the like...

To me this is just another reason people, especially those caught in the center of highly controversial social struggles should look into their local Concealed Carry legislation. But, not knowing everything about the situation, all I really have to say is that this may just be another example of a tragic event getting immediatly seized for political gain and becoming little more than a turf war between the two sides of the conflict.
            All units: IRENE
            HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Coming out of exile to comment:

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

Personally I hope the shooter rots in jail-as do most of the pro-life groups(the shooter was not a member)-

Operation Rescue, which has led numerous demonstrations at Tiller's clinic, called the shooting as a "cowardly act."
              This is a complete bunch of bullshit, and I don't mean from you, BK. I mean that Operation Rescue is so full of shit that every asshole who's a member of that terrorist organization has brown eyes.

It's coming out now that the shooter has ties to OR, and OR has had a *documented* history of a vendetta against Dr. Tiller for DECADES (Not surprisingly, the OR website is currently down as these assholes attempt to distance themselves), one that includes violence (Dr. Tiller and his clinic were the victims of repeated harassment, vandalism, threats and violence - the doctor had in fact already been shot once back in the early 1990s)

I want these fuckers - the shooter AND OR - tried and jailed as the terrorist scum that they are. At the very least, OR is guilty as hell of inciting violence what with the loaded statements they've made over the years concerning not just Dr. Tiller but all pro-choice people and physicians.

And that's all I'm going to say on that. I'm INCREDIBLY PISSED THE FUCK OFF right now ever since I heard the news tonight.
              ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

That doctor was very brave to keep going. This wasn't the first time he'd been shot and some assholes had vandalized his clinic pretty badly.
                It's unfortunate that someone like him that dedicated to making sure healthcare was available to women is now gone, and no one may step up to take his place.

According to the Guttmacher Institute:
                • The number of U.S. abortion providers declined by 2% between 2000 and 2005 (from 1,819 to 1,787). Eighty-seven percent of all U.S. counties lacked an abortion provider in 2005; 35% of women live in those counties.[2]
                That seriously sucks. I'm not saying that every chick needs to go get an abortion, but it definitely needs to be available to women should they need it for any reason at all.

And Randall Terry, you are a prick.

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
                  Kill one, save a thousand?

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the logic they are using for crap like this.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The majority of pro-lifers would never kill an abortion provider. I don't want to judge the entire pro-life movement based on a handful of their crazies, lest they judge the pro-choice movement based on ours.

Comment

Ummm - I might come across as sounding rather naive, but who says this shooting was actually related to the Pro-Life people? I mean, the article I read says they've got someone, doesn't give any sort of indication as to what he was like, or who he was associated with.

I think it might be a tad...hmmm - ironic? perhaps - if it turns out that the shooter knew him personally, and they had a personal disagreement - and had absolutely nothing to do with Dr Tiller's profession! (now, if that's the case, how goes this thread?)

Also, anyone else find it a tad ironic that he was killed in a church? (assuming it was for his work as a doctor).
                      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        Kill one, save a thousand?

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the logic they are using for crap like this.
                        Which is actually kind of odd, considering the type of abortion that he performed.

He performed the type of abortion that is only done when the fetus is not viable outside the womb, but simultainiously will kill the mother if it is not removed. Killing him would increase the number of deaths due to complications during the pregnancy.

Surprising, isn't it?

Comment

I thought pro-lifers were supposed to be about valuing the sanctity of life. You can't call yourself a pro-lifer while you go out and kill somebody because you deem them to be an "evil murderer".
                          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Oh the whole thing pissed me off so much, I'm still speechless.

"Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                            "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew B View Post
                              Which is actually kind of odd, considering the type of abortion that he performed.

He performed the type of abortion that is only done when the fetus is not viable outside the womb, but simultainiously will kill the mother if it is not removed. Killing him would increase the number of deaths due to complications during the pregnancy.

Surprising, isn't it?

He also performed abortions on fetuses who had issues that would severely lower their quality of life, and in situations where the mother would have severe health damage if she delivered. But hey, one can always get a kidney transplant - that's not a good excuse for killing a baaaby! (/sarcasm)

Comment

Working...
                              X