Black people using the "N-word"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black people using the "N-word"

This topic just came up over on CS, and I felt it was a debate more suitable to this board.

What do we think of it?

Is it more socially acceptable for them to call each other that name? Why?

Is it just an offensive word in general and nobody should ever use it under any circumstance?
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

(I can't figure out how a debate can be so heated over at CS, and then as soon as its brought over here it dies. )

I don't have a strong opinion on this one. I feel like, because I'm white, its not really up to me to decide what black people should or shouldn't call each other, or what they should or shouldn't be offended by. I know that the N word is considered pretty awful by the majority of people, white and black, and I personally find it disgusting, so I've never used it and never plan to do so.
    But who am I to decide for everyone else?

Comment

Society decides, and you are part of society. In short, you get a say in the matter.

In effect, allowing this is reverse racism, which is just as bad as the original.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Frankly I don't like it, but for another reason. It's because they are attempting to set themselves apart from everyone else, and have their own secret language that no one else can use. Hello, we are the Melting Pot. While I can appreciate wanting to keep some culture alive and seperate, I don't think words like that qualify as "culture". At this point, some segments of the black community are their own worst enemies at integrating completely into American society. Unfortunately, some Hispanics are following that lead, too, and it makes me sad.

Comment

Semi-on topic:
          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18096327/
          Many black leaders have been decrying this language for years. Problem is, the media focuses on the perpetrators rather than the ones who are trying to work to solve the problem. Thus the cycle continues.
          People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
          If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I'm of the opinion, if it's wrong for white people or other races to say it, then why should it be ok for black people to say it? I mean, it's degrading regardless. so white or black, it's wrong. I definately agree with the article XCashier posted. Rap and hip-hop get away with A LOT. For so many people to go ape-s*** over Imus making ONE racist phrase, and to say nothing about the tons of racist phrases rappers use all the time in their songs, is just crap.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Words only hurt if you let them. I think this move to outlaw the N-word is LUDICROUS. I won't use the word myself, but if someone else wants to, they have every right to utter it. It is only degrading to the person who lets it get to them. Freedom of speech comes with a price- some people may say things that the rest of us don't care for. Not saying that some people shouldn't be more responsible for the things they say- but outlawing words is just wrong.

In reference to the article- I don't like what Imus said. I think he owes an apology to those girls. I'm not sure that he should be fired over one stupid remark. I'm sure there are other "Shock Jocks" who have said worse things on the radio...I know many music "artists" have.

Shock Jock- I think that's a f***ing stupid title, too.
              "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
              "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
                I'm not sure that he should be fired over one stupid remark.
                As much as I detest Imus, I was dismayed to find out he was fired. What the hell happened to freedom of speech? I understand that the government didn't step in, and that the television and radio stations have the right to choose their talent, but still...the media may be privately owned, but it serves the public.
                (The only thing I can think of is that advertisers threatened to leave. I won't argue too much if it was purely an economic decision.)

Imus's right to be a racist bastard is a necessary evil if I want to keep MY right to call him an racist bastard.

Comment

The freedom of speech only stops the government from telling you what you can and cannot do. Private firms are well within their rights to sack members of their staff.

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                    Imus's right to be a racist bastard is a necessary evil if I want to keep MY right to call him an racist bastard.
                    Ultimately, I think this is what the issue comes down to.

If we value the freedom of speech as much as we claim to in this country, it's high time to realize that applies to all speech - not just speech that any of us feel comfortable with at any given time.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
                    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own."

Question authority. But if authority answers, you must listen.

Comment

Working...
                    X