Don Imus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Imus

Anyone hear of this clown a couple days ago???? He's the guy talking about the Rutgers basketball team referring to the black women as "real tough with tatoos. Boy they're a bunch of nappy-headed ho's!" Then his producer refer's to a Spike Lee film when they mention a match called "The jiggaboos versus the Wannabees" and they laughed together with it. Now a lot of people are calling for his resignation.

ARGH. Someone just commented about this over on CS, and I just HAVE to respond. (It will have to be here - I hope people see it.)
    The comment was to the effect that "nappy-headed" could apply to any race, because its just describing hair type, and it isn't meant as a racial slur.
    BULLSHIT. No one's falling for that one. Everyone, including Don Imus, knows exactly what he meant.
    Free speech means he has the right to say it - I will not argue with that. But if people call you out on what is clearly a racist comment, be a man and own up to it.

Comment

I was of the opinion that he needed to dress in drag to apologize, as he has a rather nappy head of hair himself. I thought that would be absolutely hilarious.

It's not the first time he's been a complete jackass, either. And yeah, his whole schtick is to be a "shock jock", but, really, what good does it do us socially to have garbage like that spewing out over the airwaves on a daily basis?
      If he wanted to be edgy and funny, fine. Go for it. But there's a fine line between being edgy and being a stupid asshole. South Park pulls off edgy and funny well. Dave Chappelle pulls off edgy funny, and racially poignant stuff really well. Imus? Stupid asshole.

Comment

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index....&cvqh=itn_imus
        "These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture," {Rutgers Coach} Stringer said. "It is not just Mr. Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change. Let us continue to work hard together to make this world a better place."
        Indeed. Here we are, in the 21st century, and we still haven't found polite or respectful ways to refer to each other.

One thing I'm wondering about is that Imus' producer, Bernard McGurk, first referred to the women as "hos" before Imus said his infamous remark. Was McGurk disciplined or fired?
        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Well, to quote myself from my LiveJournal about this.........

I think I watch way too much CNN and other assorted news shows because I am SO sick and tired of hearing over and over and over again how Don Imus got fired. Myself? Yeah, what he said was way out of line, but in my own opinion, I think the 2-week suspension was enough. They forgave him after the fact.....too little too late, it seems....and the snowball effect I predicted as a result is surely happening. Guess it's just our cynical view of society these days. I'm not up for debate on this, so please don't bother. This is how I feel, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockQueen View Post
            I'm not up for debate on this, so please don't bother.
            Then why did you post anything?

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
              One thing I'm wondering about is that Imus' producer, Bernard McGurk, first referred to the women as "hos" before Imus said his infamous remark. Was McGurk disciplined or fired?
              Looks like he was fired as well. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233374/
              People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
              If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Working...
              X