Zero tolerance gets (even more) rediculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero tolerance gets (even more) rediculous

Kindergarten Student Arrested For "Felony Tantrum".

This zero-tolerance thing is getting way, way out of hand. What next?
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Well, that is an interesting way to hit her reboot button, but methinks there were other, less drastic ways to do it.

Comment

When I was in second grade, I had a classmate who was violent. He threw tantrums almost weekly. We had a system if you were bad, you pulled a card and put it next to your name. You did yellow first for a warning, then there were other colors that had different consequences. The teacher could skip colors if you were bad enough, and so on. Anywho, I remember one incident when this classmate spoke out of turn and was asked to pull a warning card and put it by his name. He stomped across the room, kicked the trash can, then the teacher's desk so hard he left a dent then told the teacher she was stupid. This wasn't just a one-time deal, it happened a lot. Finally his parents had him evaluated because nobody's disciplining methods were working. He had some sort of behavioral issue (we never were told what it was) because he was pulled out of school for a few weeks and when he returned, he was much better.

So if this kid is the same way, perhaps she needs to be evaulated, not arrested. It also comes back to her home life as well. Every situation is different. I think we need to know more about the situation before we decide what is right here. But I'm inclined to think jailtime really won't send the little girl the right message. Was the parents called? Was she a habitual problem child? Or was this just one bad day?

We don't have the full story, but this sounds like overkill to me.
      Thank you for flying Church of England, will you have cake or death? - Eddie Izzard

Comment

If this was a one-time thing with the child, then holy moly! that was unnecessary. However, the one benefit is that if this is an ongoing problem, then maybe this is a good (albeit excessive) wake-up call for the family. Just a thought.

Comment

I'm moving to Avon Park, Florida!
          There is no crime there! Drugs are nowhere to be found, spousal abuse is unheard of, everyone obeys the traffic laws, and there certainly are no murders or rapes.
          The poor police were SO BORED they arrested a six year old for having a temper tantrum. But no big deal. Its not like they had anything better to do.

Comment

Working...
          X