Rape and sexual assault myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape and sexual assault myths

I find it sickening that there are so many myths out there about rape/sexual assault, which can effectively silence someone or let the criminal walk free. I'll go from the source in this case, which has quite an extensive list of myths for both men and women....

http://www.yarrowplace.sa.gov.au/boo...ths_facts.html

I won't quote it here, but feel free to discuss...why are these myths still being allowed to flutter through society?

I'm trying to imagine anyone who believes in any of those myths. I really don't know of anyone I would think accepts any of that.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm glad that page is around because it might help protect people knowing that it's not usually a stranger in a back alley at night, but could be someone they know during the day time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubystars View Post
        I'm glad that page is around because it might help protect people knowing that it's not usually a stranger in a back alley at night, but could be someone they know during the day time.
        The site is government-funded and has a whole heap of stuff about rape and sexual assault. My counsellor recommended it and was considering sending me there if things don't work out soon. There's another page there somewhere about the legal filter. It starts with so many rape cases, then narrows down to about 1.5% of convictions...

Comment

The thing is there is still a stigma about a woman raping man. It is possible.

As for the myths, there are people that believe in them. I've met at least one of them. Ditched his ass after I heard a few phrases similar to the myths I heard. It is sad to hear but there are people that believe these myths.
          "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I suppose it's technically possible for a woman to rape a man. I'm not sure how though? I just have never really heard of this happening. The rapes I've heard about have been man on woman or man on man.

There was a high school boy who got raped in this area a while back walking to school, but that was another man that did it to him.

Comment

It's not just technically possible for a woman to rape a man, it's very possible, either through forced insertion, or by stimulating an erection and going from there, and I swear to what ever deities people worship that if someone says that a guy must want it if he gets an erection I'll bitchslap them into tomorrow.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Ever see 40 Days 40 Nights? Female on male rape, but they don't make a big deal out of it. Morning wood is all it takes and a girl could just hop on and do her thing without my permission. Or she could shove something up my ass. Both cases would be rape.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

People who are affected by alcohol or drugs are asking to be raped.
                  sadly there was a case a couple of years ago were a famous althlete raped a woman who was passed out from cocaine

he was found "not guilty", his prosecution argued that SHE had taken the cocaine and SHE had been flirting with it before she passed out so that was her concenting to a sexual act after she became unconcious so there for he had no way of knowing she might change her mind after the fact.... (there was cctv footage of her being passed out in a chair while he was making out with her)

so a woman who is not awake, not able to say no, is allowed to be raped if she flirted with the guy before hand.... right
                  I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Oh good lord, I hope that got appealed.

Comment

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp01282003.shtml

Case in point, Davan out of it on painkillers.

Basically any method used on women works on men.
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                        Oh good lord, I hope that got appealed.
                        No it wasn't but there were very heated debates either side of the case, the woman was granted name supression (thank god) but she was painted as a slut. The athlete, despite being married was not painted as a dirty cheater even though thats what he was.

pm me for a link if you want one.
                        I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

The myths still exist because GOP pundits still scream them out as fact.

Comment

Thanks for explaining. I guess I just didn't think it was all that easy for a woman to rape someone unless it was "statutory rape", but I think I understand better now. That's sad and scary that anyone would do that

Comment

There are just as many myths the other way around (where things are not rape; but, myths have people believing it is).

Comment

Working...
                              X