Blowing kisses? BOWING? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
    Just because the mouth breathing valedictorian didn't have any friends, she shouldn't take it out on those who did.
    Where in the world did that come from?

Since it's not referenced in either article that the valedictorian said anything, I'm assuming you're making a blanket statement against those who excel in academics. It is possible to be the Valedictorian or Salutatorian and have plenty of friends and a social life. I should know.
    Last edited by AdminAssistant; 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Damn, forgot to quote.

One reason kids have no respect for authority is that it's not wielded well, people in positions of authority need to learn how to wield that authority wisely and effectively, then they will be respected.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I didn't read anywhere about the "mouth breathing" valedictorian saying anything....

What is a mouth breather? Or is it just what it sounds like it means?

Comment

If I was this kid, I'd be doing some sick shit to the principal's family. Of course I'm not that kid, nor do I advocate any such behavior.
          Wait a minute....this doesn't make any sense. On one hand, you're saying you'd do "some sick shit" to the innocent family of the principal. In the very next sentence, you say you don't "advocate any such behaviour."

Regardless, this site most certainly does not condone such behaviour. So that'll be enough of that kind of talk, please.

On another topic, "mouth-breather" is a term used to describe dumb people. So calling a valedictorian a mouth-breather doesn't make much sense either. And there's no reason to assume that valedictorians or other smart folks don't have any friends. My class valedictorian, for one, was immensely popular.

At any rate, I don't believe Dr. Faroohk truly intended any offense to academics, so let's just drop that tangent and get back to the point of the OP.
          Last edited by Boozy; 06-19-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

At my hs graduation we were threatened with with-holding our diplomas if we misbehaved. Now I wasn't one to actup so I didn't, I conformed and did what was expected of me. I didn't do that because of the school admin but because my parents expected me to act like an adult. When we crossed the stage we didn't receive our diplomas at that time, it was a rolled up congratulatory certificate from the bank that footed a large part of the graduation bill. After we had turned in our cap and gowns we received our real diplomas. Now I know for a fact that one girl possibly more were bare-assed naked under their gowns (one was my HS girlfriend). Even after it was discovered they still received their diplomas. I think the teachers and admin were just happy to get rid of us. Some of us only had 4 to 6 weeks left at home before we had to report to military duty. As far as I know I was the only one of my class that was sent to RVN.
            Back to the op if the story is full and true then the superintendent overreacted. Reassembling the ceramony is impossible so I think the superintendent should appoligize and present the boy with his diploma at the next school board meeting with the press in attendence. That would probably prove more embarassing to the superintendent than anything else.
            Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

the mother
              "There was no misbehavior. Showboating is not misbehavior," she told the station. "A bow, a kiss to your mom is not misbehavior."
              Uh, yeah, showboating IS misbehavior. What is so hard about walking up to the stage, getting your diploma and walking back to your seat calmly and maturely? Showboat and celebrate on your own time, not during the ceremony. A graduation is supposed to be a classier (for lack of a better term) occasion.

For the record I also dislike when students mark up their caps with goofy little sayings or pictures. For one evening (or afternoon depending on when the ceremony is) act like an adult, not a damn idiot.

Comment

Since when is blowing your mom a kiss showboating?

And decorating a cap isn't hurting anyone. Some of the stuff people come up with is pretty fun. This is coming from someone with a B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                  Since when is blowing your mom a kiss showboating?
                  Showboating is behaviour engineered to garner extra attention. If it was a hugely exaggerated blown kiss, then yes, it would absolutely be showboating. If it was just a quick "bring hand to mouth, blow across hand" while still walking, then it could probably slide. But if he paused to do it, that's stopping the flow of people across the stage. That's disrupting it.

However, I feel this kid just got caught up because of what happened previously. If none of that had occurred, then he'd probably have been ignored. I also think that if he's being punished, some of the others should have been, as well. I can't, in good conscience, condone punishing him for showboating when others were tossing around a beach ball. Allowing that basically set the tone. Now, the crazy person in me says they should have had a sharpshooter with a BB gun standing by in case of beach ball. And as soon as he saw it, *BAM*, deflated.

ETA: I'm not quite sure what your having a B.S. has to do with your opinion. Are you suggesting, since you've been part of an extra ceremony, your opinion is more valid? What about those of us who attended ceremonies of friends? Now, if you want "the harm" writing something on your hat can do, again, showboating. If you're up there, and people in the audience are trying to read your hat, you're taking attention away from the person to follow, since people are likely to keep trying to read it, or discuss it while the next person has their moment. Why should you get to remove eyes from that person's moment, just so you can express yourself a little bit more, and get a bit more attention? Hardly fair for the next person, I'd say.
                  Last edited by BroomJockey; 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM.
                  Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Well, stopping to blow an exaggerated kiss at someone takes like 3 seconds. Can you honestly say that's a major disruption to the ceremony, or are you just playing devil's advocate and reaching for a reason to condemn this kid?

If his decorations were taking away attention, is that necessarily his fault? First of all the ceremony is supposed to be for everyone. He has just as much right to be seen as everyone else does. If someone does want to focus on someone else, it's their fault for not being able to pay attention. That's like blaming a car accident on the guy driving the really sweet mustang that you just HAD to turn your head and look at.

Comment

I offered up the fact that I've actually been in more than one or two ceremonies to offer some credence to my opinion that cap decorating really not that big of a deal.

After all, people can read the caps during the interminable and horrible speeches and other crap that goes on at graduations. People in general actually pay attention when diplomas are being given because there's actually something happening at that point.

I may be in the minority, but I really couldn't give a crap if a beach ball gets tossed around, either.

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I really couldn't give a crap if a beach ball gets tossed around, either.

Not so much. I agree with you.

I think the airhorns and screaming and yelling is inappropriate, but I couldn't care less if a beachball goes around or someone is blowing kisses, in a non obscene fashion, of course.

Comment

Can you honestly say that's a major disruption to the ceremony, or are you just playing devil's advocate and reaching for a reason to condemn this kid?
                          Actually, neither. I'm saying if he's nailed, everyone who did something should be nailed. I, personally, don't give a rat's ass about the kid wasting 3 seconds, or even 30 seconds. It's a minor disruption, and I don't think anyone should have been nailed.

However, seeing as I don't see the point in the ceremony in the first place, I'm not the one who should be deciding what's appropriate. The only reason I showed up to my High School ceremony was because it was mandatory, and when I get my degree later this year, I won't be going to that.
                          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

I offered up the fact that I've actually been in more than one or two ceremonies to offer some credence to my opinion that cap decorating really not that big of a deal.

After all, people can read the caps during the interminable and horrible speeches and other crap that goes on at graduations. People in general actually pay attention when diplomas are being given because there's actually something happening at that point.

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            Not so much. I agree with you.

I think the airhorns and screaming and yelling is inappropriate, but I couldn't care less if a beachball goes around or someone is blowing kisses, in a non obscene fashion, of course.

I agree with you both. If someone is blowing kisses or tossing around a beach ball, then so fucking what. It is not a big deal. Maybe next time, the superintendant should have the kids arrested, for not sitting still for the whole thing.

Comment

Okay, while I don't think kids should be running around wild mooning everyone or something....

But its a FUCKING CELEBRATION! It isn't a funeral for pete's sake! A beach ball or a few blown kisses never hurts everyone. Graduation is a day for EVERYONE participating reaching a new life milestone. Why not have little fun? We had beach balls at my graduation, and there was cheering, hand shaking, and waving to parents. No one raised a fuss.

There are a lot worse things that could interrupt the ceremony, such as ringing cellphones or crap like that. A blown kiss? Give me a break. The kid earned that diploma and has every right to get it with everyone else.

There was a recent story in the paper in my town, where some kid failed the year, was still promoted to high school, but the school wanted him not to walk in the ceremony. School commitee cried BS, and said if you're gonna promote the kid anyway (even though they shouldn't have), then he gets to march with everyone else; you don't exclude him from it just because you decided to pass the buck and make him someone else's problem. I agree with that 100%.

Comment

I never saw it as a big deal either. Most people put their football numbers or their fraternity/sorority letters on them. Not a big deal, IMHO

Again, not a big deal. Some of us saw graduation as a joke. Sorry folks, but for some of us...school wasn't exactly pleasant, and we just wanted to GTFO. To some of us, graduation was another bullshit ordeal we had to sit through. In fact, I didn't stick around after the ceremony--I jumped into the Tercel...and laid rubber (literally) out of the parking lot.

College was different, in that it actually was taken seriously. Well, up to a point, anyway. After about the 3rd hour of roasting (literally, it was well over 90F), people just wanted it to be over. About that time, the beach balls came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X