Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state prisons finally forced to take action

story here

This has taken too long to address, finally something is being done, this should be applauded.

"Individuals who are incarcerated have basic human rights," said U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, chairman of the commission. "Just because they've committed a crime and they're incarcerated does not mean that their human dignity can be abused."

At the commission's news conference Tuesday, Hope Hernandez told a crowded room of her ordeal in a Washington D.C. jail in the late 90s when the then-23-year old was awaiting trial on drug charges.

After begging for a shower for two weeks, Hernandez said a corrections officer showed up one night with a towel and shampoo to take her for a shower. She said he led her to the shower, where he raped her.

"Rape must never be part of the penalty, " said Hernandez, a mother of two who later earned a master's degree in social work.

His punishment, she said, was a seven-day suspension with pay before being returned to duty.

Imagine the uproar if this was done to any other rapist-a week off work with pay, but since she was in prison it's acceptable-right?

That's the attitude of too many people, and it's sickening. I've seen quite a few comments to the effect of "hope he likes his new cellmate bubba" etc. And then people wonder why the thread on sexual assault myths exists. .....but that's different....no it's not, you're still saying the victim deserved it because they committed a crime, it's exatly the same as saying they deserved it for they way they dressed/acted/amount of drugs they took etc.

Most victims of prison rape are non-violent drug offenders-yup selling weed can get you put in prison in most states, or juvenile offenders tried as adults-let's just give imprisoned pedophiles captive victims.*

from Stop prison rape inc.

According to the best available research, 20 percent of inmates in men’s prisons are sexually abused at some point during their incarceration. The rate for women’s facilities varies dramatically from one prison to another, with one in four inmates being victimized at the worst institutions.

Survivors of sexual abuse behind bars experience the same emotional pain as other rape victims

Whether committed by staff or by fellow inmates, sexual assault behind bars is a form of torture that violates international human rights law, the U.S. Constitution, and state criminal law. the U.S. government has also recognized that prisoner rape can amount to cruel and unusual punishment, in violation of the Eighth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

When the government takes away someone’s freedom, it has a responsibility to protect that person’s safety. All inmates have the right be treated with dignity**, and no matter what crime someone has committed, sexual violence must never be part of the penalty.

*In particular, inmates who are gay, transgender, young, mentally ill, or incarcerated for the first time and for non-violent offenses are at highest risk

**remember the outrage at how detainees were treated at GITMO? Some prisoners go through that or worse daily
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    [...
    **remember the outrage at how detainees were treated at GITMO? Some prisoners go through that or worse daily
    So much outrage that not a damned thing has been done?
    Either way it is sad that we are the odd ones out for saying that torture is wrong.

Comment

That's why I'm going to take personally responsibility for my own life and not wind up in jail so as to never expose myself to such a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        That's why I'm going to take personally responsibility for my own life and not wind up in jail so as to never expose myself to such a situation.
        I am very glad to hear you say that, DrFaroohk. I'm also glad that this means you have taken the time to read and memorize the local, state, and federal criminal law to ensure that you know what laws affect you daily. And I'm glad that you have also found time to study all of the relevant case law that affects all of those laws. And I'm really happy that you are able to do all of the above before you consider visiting a friend in the neighboring town, since they have their own laws that you can violate. And I'm even gladder that you have found a way to avoid violation of every single one of them.

Unfortunately, the rest of us have things called "jobs" and "lives" which preclude our being able to spend the 40 to 60 hours per week required to study the existing laws and the newly being formed laws and all the newly written case law every single week in an attempt to avoid arrest and incarceration. We just have to live our lives hoping that we don't piss someone off, because we know that, somewhere, we are violating a law that can be used against us. Just no one has bothered looking for it yet.

Comment

Man, you're right. You can't expect everyone to know every single law. Hell, my cousin went to prison, just for trafficking cocaine! Yeah. Sheesh. He was having it mailed to himself! How the hell was he supposed to know it was against the law? Might as well let OJ out while we're at it. How could he have known?

Not that I'm advocating prison rape, but man, prison sucks. Stay out of it.

Comment

I'm sorry. I still hope the guy who killed my cousin and her baby gets raped in prison. Every day. Hell, I hope some guy gives him the same treatment that was given to Jeffry Dahmer.

But I guess that makes me a bad, bad person for hoping that.

God forbid, a guy in prison for raping a woman or killing someone gets something worse than cold food or a day without heat or air conditioning or flat pillows.

You rape someone, you hurt someone, you kill someone......you deserve to have it given right back to you. End of story. You don't get the same rights as people who haven't committed the atrocious disgusting crimes you have. I don't think people in prison should be watching TV or using exercise equipment or have heated rooms in the winter and A/C in the summer (when tax payers like MYSELF only have just gotten A/C recently!) or be able to go to school while in prison. You've proven you have no regard for other people's feelings or comfort or even their life, why should we care about you and waste our tax dollars on keeping you comfy and alive?

Let that be rehabilitation.

Edit to clarify: I do not think EVERYONE in prison should be raped, beaten or killed. I understand that there are people in prison who don't belong there, who have been wrongfully charged, just as the sex offenders whom you people riot for their rights and freedoms for....there are sex offenders who shouldn't have the label that they have been given. I am referring to people in prison who have raped, molested, beaten, killed others. The lowest of the low. The scum of the earth. I don't think anyone should really give two shits if a serial rapist gets the same treatment from a few inmates or gets beaten to a bloody pulp by an inmate who has a girlfriend at home waiting for his return, or a guy like the one who killed my cousin, ganged up on by inmates who have girlfriends/wives/children at home and don't think too highly of actions like that. Not everyone in prison is scum. And I do not advocate prison employees and security raping or beating inmates, just to clarify THAT as well. Let the inmates dig their own graves and further their own charges by taking care of the murderers and rapists.
            Last edited by blas87; 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
              God forbid, a guy in prison for raping a woman or killing someone gets something worse than cold food or a day without heat or air conditioning or flat pillows.

You rape someone, you hurt someone, you kill someone......you deserve to have it given right back to you. End of story.
              So you're advocating not only eye-for-an-eye justice, but that this justice be handed out outside any form of oversight. Let the prisoners do it. Despite the fact that it's usually the ones who are in for non-violent offenses who end up getting the brunt of it. After all, usually, they're the scrawny ones who can't put up much of a fight. It's high-school bullying, only with worse consequences, and about as many people caring about it.
              Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                According to the best available research, 20 percent of inmates in men’s prisons are sexually abused at some point during their incarceration. The rate for women’s facilities varies dramatically from one prison to another, with one in four inmates being victimized at the worst institutions.
                *NOTE* Not defending this at ALL. I do find this very wrong...

I find it a little funny how they have to say 20%, then 1 in 4. 1 in 4 is still 25%... not that much of a larger statistic as 20% (which is 1 in 5, sounds like a larger number now, eh?). It's amazing how sensationalism has made it's way into research.

Comment

I don't think prisoners should have to live in fear of being raped. That is wrong on all levels.

While I can't say I'd have much *sympathy* for a rapist ending up suffering the same thing he or she once inflicted upon another person...I don't advocate it, and I feel it should be prevented.

A prisoner who rapes another prisoner should be convicted of that crime- not allowed to get away with it.

Any prison staff that commits such an atrocity or allows such atrocities to occur should absolutely have the book thrown at them.

Rape is torture. Period. No matter how much I detest certain types of violent criminals, no one deserves that.

To me, rape is the most horrible and inexcusable form of torture you can inflict on another human being.
                  "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                  "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
                    To me, rape is the most horrible and inexcusable form of torture you can inflict on another human being.
                    Err, not to derail the thread, but if we're ranking forms of torture, rape's gotta be fairly far down on the list. Would you honestly say that it's worse than slowly skinning someone? Depriving them of sleep for weeks on end? Dislocating every joint in someone's body? Boiling them from the neck down? placing a panel of wood on them, and placing five pound stones on them every hour, on the hour, until their rib cage is crushed?

I'm not condoning rape in the slightest, and it's a traumatic and horrible thing to have happen to a person, but it's only one thing in the complete, terrifying spectrum of historical methods of torture.
                    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

I have to agree with BJ on that one. Rape is definetly a serious crime, not to mention a method of torture, but I think there are worse forms of torture out there.

Comment

You've proven you have no regard for other people's feelings or comfort or even their life, why should we care about you and waste our tax dollars on keeping you comfy and alive?
                        so the person in jail for possession of weed has no regard for others, as does the wrongfully convicted?

I don't think anyone should really give two shits if a serial rapist gets the same treatment from a few inmates or gets beaten to a bloody pulp by an inmate who has a girlfriend at home waiting for his return, or a guy like the one who killed my cousin, ganged up on by inmates who have girlfriends/wives/children at home and don't think too highly of actions like that.
                        Kendell Spruce was raped by more than 20 assailants in one year while imprisoned in Arkansas on a fraudulent-check conviction; he ended up contracting AIDS.

as did all the "guys with wives/girlfriends waiting for them" who raped him after he was infected-yeah check fraud yup he's such a danger to society.

Prison rape victims often implode psychologically after they return to the outside world. Jeannette Eatton saw that happen to her 19-year-old son, Alan. While serving time for petty theft and under-age drinking Alan was befriended by an older convict named "Cowboy, " who eventually raped his good-looking young friend at knifepoint.(by the way he ended up hating gay people and committing suicide)

another horrible criminal......

Let the inmates dig their own graves and further their own charges by taking care of the murderers and rapists.
                        Got news for ya-the guards give them victims-they don't get victimized-the man the murdered your friend is probably being used the same as this serial rapist

Dillard was transferred to the cell of Wayne Robertson, better known as the "Booty Bandit." For a time, his vocation was beating, torturing and sodomizing fellow inmates while prison guards looked the other way. This psychopathic serial rapist was the guards' resident enforcer

It also makes them worse when they get out-

Victims of prison rape often turn their anger against innocents when they are set free. John William King -- the young white supremacist who dragged African-American James Byrd to death in Jasper, Texas, in 1998 -- is one such case. King was an ex-con; he'd served 21 months for burglary in the Beto Unit, the toughest joint in Texas. Shortly after arriving in prison, King -- then 5-foot-7 and 140 pounds -- was attacked by black prisoners and raped, according to his attorneys. He emerged from the dungeon transformed.

Sorry to burst your bubble but predators don't become prey just because they're in a cage, they remain predators with different prey, and when released the prey becomes predatory.
                        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

You rape someone, you hurt someone, you kill someone......you deserve to have it given right back to you. End of story. You don't get the same rights as people who haven't committed the atrocious disgusting crimes you have.
                          our prisons are full of people who have been arrested, charged, put on trial, and duly convicted by a jury of their peers...and then later found to be innocent. in the eyes of the law they were rapists, murderers, etc., but in reality they did nothing. how do you separate those from the actual offenders?

you can't bring someone back from the dead (being either executed or killed by other prisoners, or even dying of natural causes) after they're cleared of all charges. you can't un-brutalize them after years of repeated rapes while being imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit. this is why absolutism in the criminal justice system doesn't work.

Comment

My bad.

I'm going to have to change my ways, and start giving two shits about criminals and their freedoms and rights, instead of the people that they have hurt and the families that they have tortured and torn apart with their actions. I guess people like my cousin and her unborn baby don't matter, it's more important that the guy who killed her stays warm and comfy and safe from rape and assault in prison for what he did to her.

If Jeffry Dahmer were still alive, would you people be rioting for his safety and comfort in prison? Really?

Comment

Personally, I'd vote for protecting him. I do not condone rape for any reason. If you condone rape in jail, I don't see why you wouldn't condone rape out of jail. Rape is either right or it's wrong. There's no sometimes it's ok.
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X