Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• censorship/homophobia gone way too damn far

story here

A 6th grade student in San Diego wrote a report and powerpoint presentation on Harvey Milk-due to the fact that he happened to be gay the school principal censored her report citing a district policy that requires parents give written permission before their children are taught about sex.

The only problem is the report had absolutely nothing to do with sex-The ACLU is now considering suing the school district.

"It's not about sex, it's not about sex education. It's a presentation about a historical figure who happened to be gay," says David Blair-Loy, legal director of San Diego county's ACLU.

"Harvey Milk was an elected official in this state and an important person in history," says Natalie's mom, Bonnie Jones. "To say my daughter's presentation is sex education because Harvey Milk happened to be gay is completely wrong."

Apparently you can only give reports on non-homosexual historical figures, otherwise it considered "sex education". I guess they better look into those rumors about Abe Lincoln pretty quickly.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Well, there goes that presentation on King James I...or Charles II...well, hell, that pretty much just wipes out the English monarchy, don't it?

And what about the FBI? I mean, J. Edgar Hoover and all that.

(I keeed, I keeeed)

Comment

Ha, I was going to mention James I. XD At school I did once actually do a report on Oscar Wilde; we had to pick an author to do a vocal report on and I picked him cuz he was interesting. XD I had no idea that I was doing anything wrong for picking someone who was very clever, wrote good stuff and said quotable things... but happens to be gay. Maybe I should have picked the Marquis de Sade instead!
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Stupid? Yes

Shocking? No

Schools are too eager to please everyone that they will censor anything if it has the slightest chance of making even one person unhappy.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Schools are too eager to please everyone that they will censor anything if it has the slightest chance of making even one person unhappy.
          Well then they better ban anyone from doing a report on anyone who has kids, or is married, they have t3h s3xx0rs* too.

*I hate l33t speak as much as anyone, I only use it to illustrate the immaturity of the situation.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
            Maybe I should have picked the Marquis de Sade instead!
            Or George Bernard Shaw. :P

Comment

Wow. Who knew my own life would be a study in sexuality.

I have a preference for a certain type of sexual partner. I prefer men.

I mean, I'm straight, but I guess the fact that I have a marked preference makes everything but my sex life moot.

Geez, who knew I was a controversial sex object.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                Stupid? Yes

Shocking? No

Shocking that it happened in San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
                  Shocking that it happened in San Diego.
                  Not really. Any place that acts as a symbol of equality, will be also have the very vocal minority of bigots. They're getting swamped with "immorality" so they feel the need to be even louder. Some people listen only to volume rather than content.

Comment

Since I know nothing of this person, I will ask if his sexuality specifically had something to do with his 'fame' or anything else like that...?

(OT - who's Billy May that I'm hearing ppl crying about. It vagule relates with the 'who are you talking about?' idea)
                    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                      Since I know nothing of this person, I will ask if his sexuality specifically had something to do with his 'fame' or anything else like that...?

(OT - who's Billy May that I'm hearing ppl crying about. It vagule relates with the 'who are you talking about?' idea)
                      Harvey Milk is famous for being shot to death by a coworker who used the Twinkie defense. He's also famous for being the first openly gay elected official in California. So yes, his sexuality does have to do with his fame, but it's not like he's freaking Jenna James.

"HI I AM BILLY MAY HERE WITH OXI-CLEAN IT IS GREAT!!!!!"

Comment

"HI I AM BILLY MAY HERE WITH OXI-CLEAN IT IS GREAT!!!!!"
                        I'm sure that means something where you are......

But I get the gist.. over here it'd be Tim... (someone ) Made a bucket of money!!

"Twinkie defense"????

If I'm reading this right anyway, the principal was a git, and there was no problem with the presentation. Or... no-one will be allowed to do a talk on Obama, cos he was 'the first black president'... cos that'd be racist!
                        ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

"Twinkie defense"????
                          The chemicals in twinkies made him temporarily insane. or defending a cute guy.

I only heard of who Milk was a few days ago when I was reading something and the movie came up... which reminds me, I've yet to watch it.
                          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I'm sure that means something where you are......

But I get the gist.. over here it'd be Tim... (someone ) Made a bucket of money!!

"Twinkie defense"????

If I'm reading this right anyway, the principal was a git, and there was no problem with the presentation. Or... no-one will be allowed to do a talk on Obama, cos he was 'the first black president'... cos that'd be racist!
                            He's a guy who sells things on TV and doesn't have an inside voice. He yelled everything.

Parents are okay with having to talk to their kids about black people. But not gay people. Or something.

Comment

That's because you can't catch "black", but your children will all be turned into homosexuals if the gay agenda has its way.

Comment

Working...
                              X