Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gossip now punishable by firing?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

Not sure if this is good or not. I've gossiped, I will admit, but then again, I'm sure everyone has gosspied at one point or another.

What do ya'll think?
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

It sounds like the situation in the article could be better described as slander as opposed to just gossip, because the rumour being discussed was later found to be untrue. If the women involved knew that the rumour was at least likely to be false, then they would be guilty of slandering their boss and coworker.
    Regardless, they probably did make for a vicious, hostile work environment. I see no problem in getting terminated for such unprofessional behaviour.

Comment

One incident wouldn't be grounds for dismissal, I think. However, if they regularly got involved in harsh amounts of gossip that was damaging and the company had proof, then that would be one potential proper reason for it. I'd like to think the best of them, but I suspect this wasn't the first time, and I rather suspect that the actual comments were less mild than they were reporting.

It's one of those situations where I'd like to know more before coming up with any further opinions.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'll have to agree if it was just idle gossip that got you fired then most places would have to fire 90% of the staff. Slanderous, vindictive, spiteful, or otherwise harmful talk like that is very unprofessional and definately grounds to get the boot.

This particular incident smacks of the second choice but still doesnt have enough information available for me to come to a definative conclusion.

Comment

Yeah....this pretty much sounds like one of those firings that happens over a really small thing, but has been building for a loooooong time.

It would be interesting to see what their coworkers had to say about them.

Comment

The women appealed the firings

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18883631/#storyContinued

They didn't win. They're bitter.
            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Hmmm....the council is doing a "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" maneuver....

Comment

Working...
              X