... I just don't understand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... I just don't understand.

An odd situation has occurred, and I would like to understand it.

In a forum I frequent (no prizes for guessing), there are a number of men who have a very respectful attitude towards women. They've expressed and proven their general respect many, many times over.

However, sometimes there's a thread which becomes a 'boob thread'. In which the women in the forum compare notes on bra and breast troubles generally, and those men who have relevant information mention it as well. Many of these threads end up with an exchange of useful web sites.

.... and most of these threads end up with some variation of 'show us your tits' being expressed by the men.

Now, it was funny the first time I saw it.

But it's become quite clear that it's being said by men who know it's been said before. If any of us really wanted to show them our tits, we'd have done so by now.

What I want to know is: do these men think they're being funny? Or do they think ... well, I don't know WHAT they think.

They've proven themselves to be generally a respectful bunch, so they can't possibly be thinking 'I know you'd have shown us pics if you wanted to, but damnit, I'm going to wear you down'.

But there are only two things I can think of for them to be meaning: either 'it's hilarious' or 'I'm going to keep pestering them'.

Surely there's a third? Please? Or is it just a sense of humour that doesn't know when to quit?

It's a standard boob joke, and although they are respectful men, guess what, they're still men, and men like boobs.

I don't think they're trying to be disrespectful, and I don't imagine anyone's going to post a full frontal pic of themselves on the forums. It's like "All your base are belong to us" only more classic.

Comment

I can't speak for the other guys, but I've been in those threads and said similar myself. I gave up after a time or two. Maybe I have a longer memory than other guys, but been there, said that. Done my stint, someone else's turn.

Besides, it didn't work.

On a more serious note, men and women are very much different. Breasts are a necessity for half the population, and an object of fascination and fun for the other half (I'm generalising, but in a good cause). The average bloke likes to look at breasts.

From the view of a bloke watching such threads, it's somewhat tantalising. "Mine are larger, and..." is a common theme. We can sort of look, but not even have a chance of touching. Some find that frustrating. Joke or propose, there is no third option.

What happens the other way around?

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=11233

Apparently, it's more fun to have someone else check it for you, which is possibly not quite in the same league, but quite a number of pieces of advice came up, many of which were women comparing their own examinations. A few blokes came up with their own tales, but blokes don't talk about that sort of thing. We're different species.

A group of blokes in a canteen don't compare their bollocks in a medical sense. They talk about breasts as well. It's what we do.

Well, I spectate and grin, but that's life.

With regards to CS, I reckon it's just blokes blowing off steam. Nobody really does expect it. If anyone does start pestering, let us know and we'll can them faster than a canning factory can.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm a woman, and I would definitely consider myself a feminist. Probably more so than the majority of women I meet.

And I have absolutely no problem with friendly and flirtatious joking in non-professional social settings.

Besides, it would be totally hypocritical of me to criticize this kind of behaviour. I myself made a none-too-subtle request for a cock shot in the photo album thread.

Comment

In regards to this subject I tend to be a spectator on this matter. As always most of my friends are women and if I said that my friend C, I'll be lucky to even get out alive. To me it can be humorous at times but I tend to keep my head out of that sort of thing.
          "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

Nah men are pretty much simple. For the most part I know there is no chance of seeing anythign on CS so I dont bother trying, other men still gotta give it the ol college try. If I do say somethign it would be meant in a light joking manner unless the other person gave permission.

And like the redneck comedy tour says You seen one pair you wanna see them all.

Comment

I think of it as a "tee hee, there's a topic about boobs" kinda thing. We're guys. Can't really take any of it seriously.

Besides, I'm a 19 year old guy living in a dorm at college. If I wanted to see boobs, I'd just walk out into the hallway at 2am on a Friday night.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'd just on the Internet or open some of that spam mail from time to time.

Hallway? You were lucky...

Rapscallion
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Were lucky? That was freshman year. I'm just going into my sophomore year.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/26883/

Comment

Okay. So it's just saying what we already know - that any mention of primary or secondary sexual characteristics brings out the silly in many people.

Thank you. The incessant nature of it was starting to really grate. (And probably still will, but I'll just shake my head and sigh.)

Comment

Afraid so. There are days when I'm ten-years-old again at heart.

Rapscallion
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                          Afraid so. There are days when I'm ten-years-old again at heart.

Rapscallion
                          And thus, Raps has found the secret to staying young. Good going Raps, way to give it away.

Comment

So the fountain of youth is really just a poop joke?

Comment

Fountain of mental youth, I think.

Rapscallion
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X