Mother told off by stranger for disclipining her child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Er, that headline has little or nothing to do with the article; just ignore it. That's just how the Daily Mail always seem to headline articles so please just concentrate on the article and the issue at hand, please.
    I've read the article several times, and the headline reasonably summarizes her argument. With the exception of a brief and vague mention to a book with "scientific studies", the author's argument is entirely based on her personal experiences.

I think that people too often jump to conclusions about the way society is heading based on the comments of a few silly people. I don't think kids are brattier than they ever were. There are good parents and bad parents, as there have ever been. Some set boundaries, some do not.

And some strangers poke their noses where they don't belong.

Comment

Lot of time, I'll deliver my order, and if it's not met, I'll deliver my punishment, be it time out or the threat of a single pop on the butt (in some cases, depending) . I may explain why I was unhappy afterwards, because at SOME point, my daughter will start being able to understand. I'll come see her in time out and sit down and say something like "Okay, do you understand why we can't do that?" and then I will in very simple terms explain why.

Explaining is not disciplining. But I am trying to show her respect and also cause and effect. And to let her know I love her regardless.

I don't use psychobabble. I may say "Honey, I'm not trying to be mean to you, but you could get hurt doing that. I love you and don't want you hurt. So you have to listen when I tell you to stop. " or something similar. Seems to work fairly well.

First time some idiot sticks their nose in, they will find out I don't feel I really owe them an explantion, either. But they will get Told.

Comment

Eh, I don't know where I stand here. I mean, I hate when other people get in other peoples business, but that was a little bit harsh. Of course, it's just a balloon. It's not like she threatened her pet cat or something. THat would be reason to raise concern; at least for the wellfare of the kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
          I've read the article several times, and the headline reasonably summarizes her argument. With the exception of a brief and vague mention to a book with "scientific studies", the author's argument is entirely based on her personal experiences.

I think that people too often jump to conclusions about the way society is heading based on the comments of a few silly people. I don't think kids are brattier than they ever were. There are good parents and bad parents, as there have ever been. Some set boundaries, some do not.

And some strangers poke their noses where they don't belong.
          It's still veering off the subjects that I wanted to discuss; kind of like someone posting a picture of a model and saying "She's too thin" and someone else jumping in and saying, "Well, I like her skirt." The reason I posted the article was to discuss a) the mother's way of punishing her child and b) whether anyone has the right to butt in, as well as different types of discipline and their effectiveness. Not to have it go off on a tangent about the world coming to an end. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear, but I'm not very good at that. I just don't want this entire thread discussing something completely different, that's all; a new thread can be posted for that.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
            I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear, but I'm not very good at that
            I would suggest greater detail in opening posts then, including a statement of intended topic.
            Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Well, everyone else seemed to realise without that; anyway, do you want me to eidt?
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I'm glad she's not my mother, I have Hyperacusis. Yeah, you know, everyone's sick of me going on about it on here. I'm just saying if I were a part of that family, I'd be in fear everyday of being aurally assaulted by a mother who's too lazy to raise her children as people, instead of like pets.

I mean this in regards that she displays this same childish behavior, towards her older children. This may be appropriate for a 3 year old, but if you did it to a teenager, they'd probably laugh and tell their mother to stop acting like a 2nd grade bully.

She doesn't like that parenting has advanced beyond, scaring children into submission? Upset, she has to use her brain to parent rather than threats? Too bad. She's pathetic, and deserved to be humiliated. Her children aren't the only children in the playground, what if one of those kids were like me and terrified by her antics?

Selfish, ego-centric, and dealing with situations like a child. Another case of a mother who's an adult-child raising children. They really should stop giving a voice to these people. It will only reinforce the notion, that throwing tantrums is okay for parents.

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                I do not believe in the "coddling" approach to child rearing. That doesn't mean I apply "the rod" liberally", I don't at all.

However, I know I'm not going to get anywhere if I tell Child Rum "Don't do that, please, pretty please with sugar on top." Child Rum is the type of child who is in the here and now. I can't tell her she's not going to get supper (which could be as little as 30 minutes away or 4 hours away) if she doesn't/do something. However, if I tell her that she has to give up something she likes right now, and she watches me lock it up? Yeah, you bet your britches she's going to start behaving in a New York second.

I'm not saying I'm going to write a book titled "OMG! Actually disciplining your kids is good for them and you too!" and make people follow me religiously. However, I'm saying some sort of structure is needed in the child's world no matter who you are.
                Why not? Sounds like it'd be a good book.
                Last edited by BroomJockey; 10-03-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

Working...
                X