Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy lip gloss, check your drink for roofies

Link

Lip gloss that comes with strips for testing drinks for Ketamine and GHB.

Opinions?
    Help a friend!

Why not? So long as it's in addition to, instead of a replacement for, common sense.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Someone apparently tried to drug my coke Saturday night. Luckily my friend was watching my drink while I took a trip the urinal.

As for lip gloss that tests for date rape drugs...why the hell not? It's not illegal and it's extremely practical. I just wish this wasn't necessary.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Someone apparently tried to drug my coke Saturday night. Luckily my friend was watching my drink while I took a trip the urinal.

As for lip gloss that tests for date rape drugs...why the hell not? It's not illegal and it's extremely practical. I just wish this wasn't necessary.
        I'm all for the lipgloss/date rape test kit. Since me and my sisters were teenagers, our dad always told us to NEVER leave, put down your drink and take it back and to be very wary of anybody handing drinks to you, especially homemade drinks. These days you could never be too careful about this kind of thing whether you're a female or male.
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I just think it's really sad how paranoid women have to be about being raped. I've heard statistics that say something like 1 in 6 women will be raped during their lifetimes. And that just makes me really, really sad.

Comment

Well since this is Fratching I COULD say what I think should happen to anybody who forces themselves on another (or uses drugs to incompacitate them for the same reason), but I think that it would be pushing the limits for even Fratching. Now that I have that out of my system...it doesn't matter what the strips come with, they are a good idea period. I regret that they are needed, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady_Foxfire View Post
              I've heard statistics that say something like 1 in 6 women will be raped during their lifetimes.
              I've heard worse stats than 1 in 6.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

While I think the concept is a good idea, the only downside I can see to this is that some people are going to use it as a replacement for common sense.

Comment

Considering what some people common sense is like it's still a step up.
                  I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                  Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

My main problem: Why do you have to buy the lip gloss to get it? Why not sell the kit individually? If you use the strips all the time (which people will, even if for the sole purpose of trying them out or just to use em up) , then you'll likely run out of them before you use all the gloss. I see this as a clever marketing ploy. Not everyone wears lip gloss, and women aren't the only victims of rape.

Decent idea though.

Comment

Things like thses are always worth looking into as well :

http://www.sucksorrules.com/battles/...ntion-devices/

I remember when they first came out in Africa somewhere, there was an uproar about women using them even though the rape percentage is astronomical.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                        I've heard worse stats than 1 in 6.
                        Same here. In my Sociology class last school year, I heard something like 3 out of 5. To think, that's just the reported stuff.

ETA: I think it is a good idea to have these lipglosses with strips. While not everyone uses lipgloss, it is still a great way to conceal the strips and keep them in one place for those that do get lipgloss. For those that don't, I do believe you can get strips separately.

And this is why I take a gal friend who will remain sober with me to even small social gatherings, if there's even the slightest chance that I will drink. Even then, that's a very small chance that I will.
                        Last edited by McDreidel09; 10-27-2009, 05:54 PM.
                        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Amina516 View Post
                          I remember when they first came out in Africa somewhere, there was an uproar about women using them even though the rape percentage is astronomical.
                          I'm a complete pacifist, and I have never believed in vengeful punishments.

However, I don't have a problem with this device. If a man sticks his dick somewhere without permission, he is taking a risk. In North America, he is risking prosecution under the law and social ostracism. In many parts of Africa, he is risking nothing. This device changes that equation. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
                            Same here. In my Sociology class last school year, I heard something like 3 out of 5. To think, that's just the reported stuff.
                            Whoa. Where the hell did your teacher get that info. It's far more frequent than I'd prefer, but 60% is a ridiculous number to throw out there. Most websites seem to say about 1 in 6 women are raped. 1 in 33 for men.

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                            I'm a complete pacifist, and I have never believed in vengeful punishments.

However, I don't have a problem with this device. If a man sticks his dick somewhere without permission, he is taking a risk. In North America, he is risking prosecution under the law and social ostracism. In many parts of Africa, he is risking nothing. This device changes that equation. I like it.
                            I don't consider this a vengeful punishment, I call this self-defense.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

This isn't the first product to prevent such things; there were these things you stuck in bottles of drink so that no-one could spike your drink.

http://www.spikey.co.uk/

They had a hole for a straw to fit thru and could not be removed afterwards. If lipgloss plus testing strips is going to help turn the tide, then why not? As long as the people who buy it use common sense along with the testing strips.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X