How Young Is Too Young For Social Networking For Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Young Is Too Young For Social Networking For Kids

Generations ago, it was practically a rite of passage to have your own private phone line, then it was your own beeper, cellphone and now it's being able to surf with less restrictions and having your own profile on a social networking site. MySpace and Facebook require that those who register are 13 and older, but there are some that fudge their age to bypass that requirement (as well as skirting the parental consent pre-requisite from the site). There are social networking sites that are made for the tweens and younger age groups that are more supervised and restricted like Whyville and WebKinz. There are some parents that allow their children that are in the tweens age group to have their own MySpace and Facebook, provided that they have the password as well to be able to check on the child's page. I personally think 13 is a little young, maybe 14 or 15 would be a better age for something like Facebook to be honest.

Here's the link for the article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/02/k...rks/index.html
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

I think the bottom line is maturity. There are mature 12 year olds, and immature 16 year olds.

Depends on the kid, really.

Comment

Whatever the child's age, the parents shouldn't be just leaving them to it; they should be closely monitoring their web activity. I've seen loads of news reports of kids being targeted by pedophiles, and afterwards, whatever the outcome, the parents say things like "I didn't know." Well, you should have. Or, at least done everything in your power to do so, including educating your child on the dangers of the internet and what to do if such a situation occurs. If you have done everything in your power, and it still happens, at least you'll know that you have tried your hardest to protect your child.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with Rooted Phoenix, that it really depends on the kid. I was really mature for my age when I was younger, and I started chatting in un-monitored, open topic chat rooms when I was 13, without supervision. I found good chat rooms, though, with other people in my age range (middle school/high school) and never had any problems with stalkers or anything like that. In fact, I met my husband in one of the very chat rooms I went to. But, I was also a pretty smart kid and knew what kinds of questions to not answer and what kind of chat rooms to avoid.

I think parents really need to TALK to their kids about this kind of thing. Before we got a computer, my mom talked to me about not giving out personal information or answering certain questions. And after I started chatting, she asked me what kind of people I was chatting with and what we chatted about, so she stayed in the loop.

Comment

I started going online where I was like, 12, but this was before social networking sites that used your real name and crap. I don't think I ever really got a speech about online safety, but my parents raised me well and it never became an issue (but still, looking back, I wish they did, IMO it's always best to attempt to be clear with your kids and make SURE they understand instead of just assuming so).

Bottom line, I would say in general, around 14. That being said, parents need to stop being their kid's friend and be actual PARENTS. That means looking after them and making sure they stay safe, including online. Part of being a parent is needing to keep 2 steps ahead of your kids as best you can. I know parents cannot absolutely protect their child against everything, but there should be some attempt. The world is so much smaller nowadays, which leaves more room for trouble to start brewing.

Comment

Not just with pedophiles (although they tend to still be a huge threat), but also with bullies and people posing as kids to bully, like with what happened to that poor little girl who killed herself over online bullying being done by a peer's MOTHER posing as a kid.

Comment

Kids should be monitored. Don't put the computer in their rooms. Have it in the living room or kitchen where you can just look to see what they are doing.

I agree with the sentiment that parents should be parents and not friends at this point and time.

Once the kid starts showing some responsibility and maturity, slowly let loose the leash.
              "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

I don't see a problem with children of any age having a MySpace or Facebook page, as long as they are monitored constantly. Meaning that mom or dad must be standing beside them while they're on the computer.

All internet use by children should be monitored anyway.

I have a friend whose five year-old son has a Facebook page. His only "friends" are his grandparents who live far away from him, and they use FB to share little notes and pictures with each other. It's adorable, and a good use of technology.

Comment

Facebook should have just stayed with college students and older in my opinion. Younger kids are making it suck.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Not younger kids necessarily, just people who don't seem to understand why talking to strangers can be harmful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-killing.html

This girl was seventeen. However, she still was naive enough to go and meet a complete stranger she "met" on Facebook without a) telling anyone or b) asking to meet in a public area.
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      Not younger kids necessarily, just people who don't seem to understand why talking to strangers can be harmful.
                      That's not what he meant (I'm assuming). What Greenday meant was Facebook's becoming FaceSpace. About all that's missing at this point is the ability to set your page's background to some eye-searingly retarded sparkly abomination. And it's because there's a push to cater to that younger demographic and lure them away from MySpace.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                        That's not what he meant (I'm assuming). What Greenday meant was Facebook's becoming FaceSpace. About all that's missing at this point is the ability to set your page's background to some eye-searingly retarded sparkly abomination. And it's because there's a push to cater to that younger demographic and lure them away from MySpace.
                        Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Oh I hope that doesn't happen. I actually like Facebook. It took awhile for me to break down and even set that up...I still avoid MySpace like the PLAGUE. and my brother and his friends get ignored on FB.

Actually on topic... I think it all depends on the kid. Like it's been said, there are mature 12 year olds, and immature 16 year olds. As long as mom and dad are watching what is going on, communicating with their children and checking on them, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
                          "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                          "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Working...
                          X