Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managers not allowing employees water bottles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers not allowing employees water bottles.

After reading several stories on CS about managers forbiding employees from having water bottles while working (mostly cashiers at stores), I have one question, why?

Being hydrated is a basic need. Water bottles provide a simple means of that need without employees having to rush to a water fountain and take time away from their station. You'd think management would rather employees have water on them than have to take time away from customers to get to a water fountain, but apparently, they don't see it that way.

I see this as a major common sense violation.

I can see management saying "Well you have assigned breaks to drink water and etc". I can see it kinda as a hygiene issue, or possibly damaging to the equpment if you spill it everywhere.

Ive never had a register job that wasnt lax on drink policies so IDK what their excuse would be. I think that water at the very least should be allowed, probably best if its able to be out of sight.

Comment

Can you tell what's in a water bottle just by looking at it? I can't. A water bottle filled with vodka looks pretty similar to a water bottle filled with water. If management can provide adequate opportunities to hydrate yourself, it's a reasonable policy.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Amina516 View Post
        I can see management saying "Well you have assigned breaks to drink water and etc". I can see it kinda as a hygiene issue, or possibly damaging to the equpment if you spill it everywhere.

Ive never had a register job that wasnt lax on drink policies so IDK what their excuse would be. I think that water at the very least should be allowed, probably best if its able to be out of sight.
        Damaging to the equipment makes sense, but still... water bottles don't spill as easily as cups or glasses. They have the cap on their for a reason.

Can you tell what's in a water bottle just by looking at it? I can't. A water bottle filled with vodka looks pretty similar to a water bottle filled with water. If management can provide adequate opportunities to hydrate yourself, it's a reasonable policy.
        So, just because someone might use it to sneak alchohol in it should be banned from everyone? That's not fair nor is it necessary. TPerhaps they should trust their employees a little more.

And how can management provide ways to hydrate yourself? By allowing you to go get a drink from the fountain? What if the employee has a long line of customers? Would management be happy to let them take a quick trip to the water fountain then?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          So, just because someone might use it to sneak alchohol in it should be banned from everyone? That's not fair nor is it necessary. TPerhaps they should trust their employees a little more.
          If it didn't happen, there wouldn't be rules like this. Obviously people are drinking stuff they shouldn't be or someone did something stupid like spilling water all over stuff and broke it. Life isn't fair. It's always been like this. One person screws something up, everyone pays for it.

And how can management provide ways to hydrate yourself? By allowing you to go get a drink from the fountain? What if the employee has a long line of customers? Would management be happy to let them take a quick trip to the water fountain then?
          Then a manager covers for them while they get a drink. Would management be happy with an employee passing out from heat exhaustion then suing them for not letting them get water? I think they'd be less unhappy with someone making customers wait.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post

Oh, come on. That is like saying "no bathroom breaks because someone might go in there and shoot heroin."

Not allowing water bottles in no way, shape, or form will prevent drug or alchohol use on the job.

Comment

If it didn't happen, there wouldn't be rules like this. Obviously people are drinking stuff they shouldn't be or someone did something stupid like spilling water all over stuff and broke it. Life isn't fair. It's always been like this. One person screws something up, everyone pays for it.
              What recoveringkinkoid said. It won't prevent drug or alchohol abuse. Just because "Life isn't fair" doesn't mean management shouldn't be fair either. It's just another unnecessary restriction. Worst case scenario, someone sneaks alchohol in their water bottle. If that happens, they can be found out and terminated. Is that really worth forbiding employees have their own water on them? Which brings me to my next point...

Then a manager covers for them while they get a drink. Would management be happy with an employee passing out from heat exhaustion then suing them for not letting them get water? I think they'd be less unhappy with someone making customers wait.
              Wouldn't that require the managers permission? This compares to an example of a case in the bathroom breaks thread where a worker was in a call center and needed the supervisor to come over and authorize permission to use the restroom. Not allowing water bottles (a convieniant source of a need) is putting that kind of restriction on employees. Now taking a drink of water means being away from your station and in effect, taking a break. It may seem as easy as letting a manager cover, but I can see so many managers being jerks about it. Sometimes you just need to get a drink. Hell, sometimes I can't go 5 minutes without a drink (water). Having the manager cover for them every time an employee wants a drink would probably be a real pain in the ass for the manager.

So other than the fact that it might damage the equipment (which could be worked around), I see no good reason why management should forbid them other than getting on some paranoid power trip.

Comment

I don't know, I'm just coming up with reasons for why management would do this.

Comment

At the store where I used to work, before moving to petrol, cashiers are allowed water in bottles with sports caps. This means that if it falls or gets knocked over, no water will spill. A perfect solution.

As for getting a manager to cover; don't make me laugh. -.- Once I was about to develop a migraine (I get the warning that it's about to start by the visual disturbance starting; it begins with a weird "tail" accross my line of sight) and I had to ask five times to be allowed to go upstairs to take my pills. Only after the fifth time, when I said that if they didn't take me off the checkout right now I would soon be vomitting all over the place and be unable to move in the slightest, did someone get on my till and let me go upstairs.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Being hydrated is a basic need. <snip>
                    I see this as a major common sense violation.
                    well According to research by Snopes
                    Talking to a Kidney physiologist at the National institutes of health-an average adult with no kidney problems only requires one liter of water per day(or 4 8 ounce glasses), the average adult gets that much water from the food they consume. So "staying hydrated" does not require guzzling water(average adult should urinate 4 times per day), or any water for that matter....

And how can management provide ways to hydrate yourself? By allowing you to go get a drink from the fountain?
                    your normal break times should be more than adequate-unless it's impossible to drink 4 8 ounce glasses of water during a 24 hour period.....
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I don't know, I'm just coming up with reasons for why management would do this.
                      Oh, it just sounded like you were for management banning water bottles.

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      At the store where I used to work, before moving to petrol, cashiers are allowed water in bottles with sports caps. This means that if it falls or gets knocked over, no water will spill. A perfect solution.

As for getting a manager to cover; don't make me laugh. -.- Once I was about to develop a migraine (I get the warning that it's about to start by the visual disturbance starting; it begins with a weird "tail" accross my line of sight) and I had to ask five times to be allowed to go upstairs to take my pills. Only after the fifth time, when I said that if they didn't take me off the checkout right now I would soon be vomitting all over the place and be unable to move in the slightest, did someone get on my till and let me go upstairs.
                      That's what I meant, sports caps. The water bottles I use for school have those sports caps and it would take real carelessness to spill it.

And the manager at your store was an idiot and the reason why employees shouldn't have to rely on them to be allowed such simple rights.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        well According to research by Snopes
                        Talking to a Kidney physiologist at the National institutes of health-an average adult with no kidney problems only requires one liter of water per day(or 4 8 ounce glasses), the average adult gets that much water from the food they consume. So "staying hydrated" does not require guzzling water(average adult should urinate 4 times per day), or any water for that matter....
                        Since retail stores only hire average people without kidney problems.

When I managed at <old pizza place>, it would get pretty hot inside despite air conditioning. I made sure all my employees had water bottles. In fact, I supplied them (but made the store pay for them). Never got in trouble for it, never had an employee collapse due to heat exhaustion. Most retail stores sell bottled water, so I don't see how they can't supply water to all their employees.
                        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                        my brother's

Comment

There are other things to consider besides 'hydration.' For example, if your job requires talking almost constantly, you need to be able to take a drink now and then. Or at least I do.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                            your normal break times should be more than adequate-unless it's impossible to drink 4 8 ounce glasses of water during a 24 hour period.....
                            Except I still have a problem with this. There's a difference between not suffering health problems and being comfortable. Sometimes I'm very well-hydrated, but my mouth and throat get dry from talking.

Why do people so easily accept it when their company comes up with a policy that says, in a nutshell, "We will do the bare minimum to keep our employees alive and moving so that they may serve us. Their comfort and humanity are not our concern."

Policies like banning harmless water bottles put downward pressure on productivity (as employees become disgruntled) and put upward pressure on wages (as disgruntled employees demand more to stay). It's not just bad for the employees; it's bad business.

Comment

My last job had the "afraid it'll spill all over the computer" excuse, which is why I kept my bottle on the floor and behind me, as far from the computer terminal as possible. The floor beneath the computer was raised, so unless there was some hidden crack for liquid to seep through, I figured it would take some sort of act from God to cause the water in my bottle to affect the electronics.
                              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                              X