Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "Parent of the Year" contestant - Woman tries to trade her daughter for a gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Parent of the Year" contestant - Woman tries to trade her daughter for a gun

The title says it all, really.

"Phoenix woman tries to swap daughter for gun"

A woman in Arizona tried to trade her 2-year-old daughter for a gun.

Apparently, she was legally prohibited from owning a firearm . . . and so she made a deal with a friend, giving him her daughter in exchange for a gun.

. . . Of course. What else would you do in this woman's place?
    /bitter sarcasm

<Sigh>

I noticed that this woman allegedly told her friend that he would do a better job of raising the child than she would.

. . . Well, you really can't argue with her there.
    "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

The whole thing is self fulfilling, the action proving both her lack of parental eligibility as well as the fact that she shouldn't be armed..........

Every once and a while something like this happens, and I get to rejoice in that I'm not that person
    All units: IRENE
    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I wonder what kind of gun it was?

Oh, right, on topic. Damn lunatics. If she wasn't fit for raising a child, she should have not had sex damnit.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Am I a bad person because the first thought I had upon seeing this was to wonder what the market value of a child would work out to be?

Though it does give me an idea for my next Shadowrun game...
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
          Am I a bad person because the first thought I had upon seeing this was to wonder what the market value of a child would work out to be?

Though it does give me an idea for my next Shadowrun game...
          Not in particular, it depends on race, gender and age.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

All of which would be answered if we knew what type of gun it was.

Compact? under 2
            9mm? female .38 or .45? male
            revolver? white
            SA? asian/latino
            DA? black/misc

Walther PPK? total wimp

This episode of gun-nuttery brought to you by 4 hours playing CODMW2... friends don't let friends use the noob tube.
            All units: IRENE
            HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Okay has it been determined what she wanted the gun for yet because this sounds like a suicide attempt. Find your child a safe place to grow up get the gun and then go end it.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

There have been some new articles published on the case, with updated information :

"Deputies: Mom Offered Daughter For Gun"

"Woman suspected of trading baby for gun feared for life"

First of all, we now know why she was prohibited from owning a gun :

she cannot legally buy or own a firearm because she is a convicted felon

Second, the updated articles provide an answer on why she wanted the gun :

Tanya Delgadilla Nareau lived in a rough Mesa neighborhood, needed a gun and was willing to give up her 2-year-old daughter to get one, a newly released report states.

. . .

Last week, the child's grandfather told police that Nareau called, saying "she feared for her safety and needed a gun. Tanya offered to trade the child for a gun," a police report states.

Third . . . I had seen news articles that stated that this woman had traded her daughter to "a friend of the family" for a firearm. The most recent articles, however, say that she actually handed the child over to the girl's paternal grandparents.

Well . . . That information does change the picture somewhat. The people she gave her daughter to were, at least, family.

Although, I think many people would argue that she was still abandoning her responsibilities as a parent.

And, in any case, the fact that she was offering her daughter in exchange for something does cast some doubt on the idea that she simply wanted her daughter to have a better home than she could provide.

Still, if she really believed her life was in danger . . . Desperate people have been known to do bizarre things.

At this point, I'm rather glad that I am not the one who will have to judge this woman, or decide her fate.

According to that last article, the little girl is now staying with her grandparents.

We can only hope it will be a safe home for her now.
                "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

Comment

Now if she had only said "This neighborhood isn't safe for my daughter, can she stay with you for a while? Oh, can I borrow a gun so I can protect myself while i try to save up and move somewhere better for her?" She might've gotten away with it.

It makes you wonder just how much more "truth" will be revealed when she goes to court.

At least the child is better off... we hope.

CH
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                  X