Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman enters school bus

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225830042231

Just a quick explanation here: school buses in SA are not separate vehicles altogether. The three service providers (the ones who hire the drivers and store the buses) and the public figurehead for public transport (Adelaide Metro-dealing with tickets, timetables etc.) will send out buses that look identical to the ones used by the general public, but will say SCHOOL BUS on the front, or will just have a letter on them. Most of them go the same or similar routes to the buses used by the general public, although some will go a specific route just for the school students.

This woman claimed age discrimination after being refused onto a school bus and actually followed through with her complaint

Discuss freely.

(I should add that they're now seeking an exemption for this...)

The woman is a moron. Plain and simple.

A school bus is just that. A bus that goes to school. Why she'd want to ride it is beyond me. Did she need to go to the school? No? Then GTFO.

Worrying about pedophiles is a real option. Especially when you're talking about a bus that has just 1 person working on it (for example: "regular" busses with just the driver). A special needs bus is a little "safer" as it's smaller than a "regular" bus and has 1 driver & 1 bus assistant.

I can tell you one thing: If that woman was in the State of Virginia, and wanted to ride the bus, I'd be stopping her, and the cops would probably be involved is she insisted.

There is NO age discrimination. It's a school bus. School bus = school age kids usually between the ages of 5 and 18.

Sheesh.

Some people.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I was all set to point and laugh till I read that they actually caved in to the harpy's demands.

Now I'm a bit stabby.

Comment

The arguement and problem here is that it's a public transport bus, they're fiddling with lesgislation to get a loophole at the moment.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

To get a loophole for what?

For her not to actually be able to use a school bus? Or for her TO use the school bus?
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Comment

I took a bus to school every day for about 10 years.

Children are vicious. I don't think this woman has any idea what these children would have done to her. A grown adult on a school bus? Who would be worthier of their derision? She'd be stepping into their world - and they would have destroyed her.

She'd have NO self-esteem left by the time she got to her destination.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
              To get a loophole for what?

For her not to actually be able to use a school bus? Or for her TO use the school bus?
              So that they can refuse her entry onto a bus belonging to the public transit system and it not be age discrimination.

Comment

Just because it's public transport doesn't mean just anyone can use it to go wherever they want. School buses have a very specific purpose outside which they aren't to be used, there's nothing wrong with that.
                All units: IRENE
                HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                  So that they can refuse her entry onto a bus belonging to the public transit system and it not be age discrimination.
                  Aaah, okies ... Yesterday, I hadn't gotten as much sleep and a Cluex4 could have been applied to me, I wouldn't have clearly understood a thing.

School busses are considered public transit when in service?

Here they are owned by the county/town they are in, and used to transport students to and from school or to and from school events (for example, going to sports events or choral events).

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post

School busses are considered public transit when in service?
                    Pretty much. The physical buses are owned by the government and the public transport companies/services. The routes are owned by the schools (I think?)

The school it departs from/arrives at is considered to be the one who "owns" the bus route. Other schools nearby can also use the route since they're open to any student who's still at school. University/TAFE students don't count.

Basically the physical bus itself is used as other bus routes throughout the day. For all intents and purposes, they look no different to other buses. There are no special priveliages with those particular buses either, just that it's students only.

Funniyl enough, nobody's mentioned female-only gyms as examples of discrimination....(to clear THAT one up before it begins, the female-only gyms in Australia have exemptions)

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                      to clear THAT one up before it begins, the female-only gyms in Australia have exemptions)
                      And by that same token we can still have the couple of men only clubs in Adelaide that are still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                        And by that same token we can still have the couple of men only clubs in Adelaide that are still around.
                        wait, there are men-only clubs?

Also, I haven't updated this in yonks, but they did end up closing the loophole so that nobody else can try and pull the same crap as this woman did.

Comment

Working...
                        X