No announcement yet.

9 students charged with bullying that lead to a suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think anyone should be charged with murder or manslaughter (involuntary or otherwise). They should be charged with what they actually did, for example assault and harassment.

Comment

• Originally posted by kibbles View Post
      I don't think anyone should be charged with murder or manslaughter (involuntary or otherwise). They should be charged with what they actually did, for example assault and harassment.
      But as the law defines it, they were culpable for involuntary manslaughter.

Comment

• I don't agree with that at all IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
          But as the law defines it, they were culpable for involuntary manslaughter.
          No, you have to actually kill someone yourself to get that.

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          What about the case of the NFL player that hit and killed a jaywalker? Should he have been let off, regardless of his BAC level?
          Should have gotten a DUI and nothing more. The jaywalker caused the accident.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            No, you have to actually kill someone yourself to get that.
            No you don't. Read the definition I provided.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
              No you don't. Read the definition I provided.
              Did you even read the first three words you bolded? "an unintentional killing..." Not sure if you get what happened but the person committed suicide. They were not killed by other people.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

• My understanding is that if you are the cause of someone's death, it's involuntary manslaughter. There are laws in the State of Nevada, as well as other states from what I've heard, that if a bartender lets a patron get drunk and drive home, they can be charged with involuntary manslaughter (not sure of the degree) if they hit and kill anyone, including themselves.

If those don't hit, then the families have the chance to go after the "Wrongful Death" charges in civil court, which could happen here.

CH
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  My understanding is that if you are the cause of someone's death, it's involuntary manslaughter.
                  Indeed... but in this case, if I understand it right, they are not only not a *direct* cause of death, but are also, at most, only one contributing factor among many. Entirely too often, depressed people *do* kill themselves, whether anyone is doing anything to them or not, whether anyone looking at them from outside their own head would think they had any reason to be depressed or not. Should we really give out convictions for killing, even if it's only involuntary manslaughter, when it was a suicide and there's no way of knowing whether it would have happened anyway or not?
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                  X