obese children - child abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obese children - child abuse

figured i'd start the topic cos it was kinda coming up anyway over at the CS side

anyway... in light of the new animal abuse laws where it's consider to be animal abuse to stuff your pet to the point of being morbidly obese... i guess it's a good time to point out that this is already in effect for children.

it was on the news a while back i think... in england, if your child is morbidly obese you can be charged with child abuse because, as a parent, you are responsible to give your child proper food to eat.

now this doesn't mean you'll go to jail if you let junior have some chips or a pastry... this is for parents who ONLY give their kids crap to eat to the point where the kids are at risk for serious medical complications.

Hmmmm..

On the one hand I like it, on the other I am thinking "nanny state gone too far?"

Comment

This one I actually kind of do support the government on... I could see this being abused quite easily, which gives me pause on whether or not I am comfortable with this development, but assuming it stays exactly as it is now of just being a means of ensuring that parents are not blatantly ignoring their children's health (I don't think an overweight child is neglict, but a morbidly obese child who as an adult would qualify for weight reduction surgery as a necassary step, obviously the parent has done more than merely missing full diligence).
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I also hope that if they start taking children away from parents, they use a different barometer than the BMI and that it's only done in extreme cases.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          I also hope that if they start taking children away from parents, they use a different barometer than the BMI and that it's only done in extreme cases.
          I think they have taken obese kids from their parents before, but it was only after several warnings and a few doctors recommendations.

This article looks at both sides of the argument.

But it does bring up the idea that parents with anorexic children through no fault of their own could lose custody as well. Obesity and anorexia are just as dangerous as each other. But this would only be if the parent doesn't take action to help their child become healthier.
          "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
          Josh Thomas

Comment

As long as the government is going to pay for healthy food then they have a right to tell parents what to feed their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
              As long as the government is going to pay for healthy food then they have a right to tell parents what to feed their kids.
              Nah. You don't have to eat only healthy food to stay in shape. Especially as a kid. But to get to massive weight levels as a child, you have to eat TONS of crap. And that is abusing your child.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I saw three overweight women at the fair lecturing one of their daughters about how she should finish everything on her plate whether she was hungry or not and I wondered how these women couldn't connect their weight issues to what they were told growing up.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                  I saw three overweight women at the fair lecturing one of their daughters about how she should finish everything on her plate whether she was hungry or not and I wondered how these women couldn't connect their weight issues to what they were told growing up.
                  Argh! My mum used to do that. She would fill these huge dinner plates to the maximum and we weren't allowed to leave the table until we'd finished (and we all eat slowly, so this could take 3-4 hours easily).
                  She stopped when she found out her own mum, who used to do the same thing to her as a child, had type 2 diabetes from being overweight. Our plates were only filled 1/4 of the way after that.
                  Sometimes it takes the shock of reality to change bad habits.
                  "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                  Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
                    I don't see anyone advocating for the government to dictate what a parent can and cannot feed their kids. I would say that would be blatantly wrong and intrusive. However, we as a society have decided that parents are responsible for the wellbeing of their children, and when it becomes obvious that they are failing at that responsibility, it is society's responsibility to step in and insure that the child does get taken care of. What is at question is whether or not allowing a child to become morbidly obese is considered a failure of the responsibility of a parent to watch out for the wellbeing of their child.
                    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Exactly. As a child, I ate my fair share of junk food and sweets; however, my parents ensured that it was in moderation and that I exercised to work it off. No-one is saying that children should be doomed to a diet of lettuce leaves and water. But a child of say five that is morbidly obese is a sign that something is wrong; just as it would be if the child was being starved rather than overfed.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                      X