Another Gulf disaster waiting to happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gulf disaster waiting to happen

I did not want to side-track the Gulf Oil Disaster thread, but consider this little article I found..

http://www.aolnews.com/gulf-oil-spil...ulf%2F19544629

Time-bomb waiting to happen.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I still don't quite understand why they'd abandon a well that still had oil in it, or how one that *didn't* would leak. "Permanently" abandon, I mean; closing some when prices are down I get.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Maybe the production of them has slowed down so it's not worth the investment.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

In addition, it's also probable that a few locations proved difficulties with logistics or stability.
        All units: IRENE
        HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Many wells are abandon because they are not producing enough to make it worth the investment anymore. You can make a well produce more with various techniques but they cost money.

This doesn't surprise me. I doubt they even do inspections on them. There is always the potential for an old well to blow out, its just a matter of time. Now if they the holes were plugged with cement properly then there should be concern. The thing is it has to be done properly. I doubt that has happened.

If it is a temporary cap then there is a much bigger chance of failure. This is due to the cap being designed to be drilled through with a regular drill bit. The temp cap is designed to be weaker then a permanent cap.
          "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Working...
          X