X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosary beads=fashion items?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225890232770

Your thoughts?

Personally, when I read the article, that was the first I'd heard of it. (the store in question does sell some great stuff though)

And aside from that, gotta love the nutjobs in the comments....our morals are not degrading because of a lack of faith-as Tim Minchin quoted "Science bases its views on what is observed, while faith denies observations so belief can be preserved."

Examples of where morality sticks but religion does not in Australia:

-Abortions, particularly the pro-life folk. Not all of them are religious...some just view life as sacred. (although most of them need to get their facts straight)
    -the basic sins/crimes: stealing, killing someone etc. all basic laws, not necessarily religious beliefs.
    -adultery: many couples do not believe in God, but would get a divorce if their partner was cheating on them.
    -helping the community: while religion does play a HUGE part in this to an extent (Uniting Care Wesley, Anglicare, St. Vincent De Paul and the Salvos are all either religious groups or funded by them), the best example I can think of this is the Victorian Bushfires. There were millions of donations pouring in from the general community.

ETA: It is really a sad state of affairs when people who knock the current generation as being illiterate, can't even spell themselves (case in point, one of the commenters writes "Catholick")
    Last edited by fireheart17; 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM.

I haven't read the article yet, but have to point out that
    "Science bases its views on what is observed, while faith denies observations so belief can be preserved."
    is not always true.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      I haven't read the article yet, but have to point out that is not always true.
      Indeed. I don't deny things I observe, but I believe in some that I don't.

And I don't find that particularly offensive. I find it silly that you would specifically use Rosary beads, and I'd much prefer people wear a cross necklace if they have to. But I consider sacred objects to be as much about the context as they are about the appearance of the object. The same way I'd see a political symbol. Like if an artist made an American flag with the red stripes painted in blood. The context changes the meaning of the symbol.

In other words, I don't think people are wearing rosary beads as fashion accessories. I think they're wearing bulky necklaces that look like rosary beads.

Does that make sense? Someone please tell me, I'm a wonderful creative writer, but I'm a horrible expository writer.
      Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Concerning wearing rosaries:

A rosary can be worn, but under certain circumstances. If it's worn in memory of someone or in reverence, then it is fine. For example: Before my best friend was left for the Army, he gave me a rosary. I wore it in his memory, as a way of keeping him close. Having that rosary around my neck made me feel like he was there for me still. If he had died, I would still be wearing it, but he came home, so I do not.
        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

As a Catholic, I have mixed feelings over this one.

On the one hand, I've known plenty of people who wear rosaries just as accessories. Just because they're cool or "bling" or whatever. This annoys me because they mishandle the rosary. Just makes me cringe. And they don't even know what it really is, which just makes it worse.

On the other, I've known several people who wear them for spiritual reasons. The one I remember best is a kid I met while substituting. This student had had a very depressing episode and had had a dream about Mary, apparently. He started to devote his prayer sessions towards her, despite being Protestant. And had began wearing the rosary. So I sat and taught him prayers of the rosary and the history of it. He was fascinated and thanked me so profusely....I don't know. I still think God wanted me in that class that day to meet that young man. So...mixed feelings.
          I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
          X