Cell Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phones

I truly am convinced that the Cell Phone is growing more and more into the technology that will destroy society.

Not in of itself mind you, but in the ways that people are using and getting overdependent on them.

First of all, there is the issue of being in constant contact with everyone under the sun. Nothing is more annoying than being out with a friend and they can not put the phone down long enough to hold a conversation with they people they are with. Case in point, road trip with friends. Hour long trip each way, two hours at the Ikea, and I talked to my friend for maybe 15 minutes total. At least at the Ikea, I was able to do something while she was yakking her head off, but in the car it sucked. I have no one to talk to, can't make my own call since that's against the law, and can't listen to the radio since it would disturb and drown out her conversation.

So what good is it to be in contact with everyone else in the world if you can't be bothered to connect with the people you are with?

Secondly there is texting. Now I can see that there are times when texting makes sense. You can text when there is limited signal, you can text when the noise levels are too loud to hold a conversation. But why in the name of Zeus's ball sack get into a texting conversation with someone that takes 30 minutes of texting when 5 minutes of verbal phone call would have had it done quicker?

And do not get me started with the new feature they are developing where the phone can convert your voice and convert it to a text message. If you're going to talk to the phone then TALK TO THE OTHER PERSON!

Third and the most mind boggling one of all is the general dumbing down of people. This call just came in from the operator of my facility. They called in and reported that the phones are not dialing out of the building. Ok, now that's a real problem. They get through dialing and they get a busy/error tone. Hrmm...what could the problem be? I tried dialing my cell phone which was issued in another county and so is "long distance" for land lines. Dial 9 for the outside line, followed by the 1 for long distance, followed by the number including area code.

My phone rings.

So the problem is not the phones. Perhaps it is the number that they are trying to reach. Get the number, call it, rings normally and I do indeed get to talk to the other hospital in the next state over.

Hrm. Puzzled now. So I call the operator back and ask how she is dialing the number. She was neglecting the "1" for the long distance.

Our. Telephone. Operator.

Yes, the woman who was hired to handle the phone system and routs calls all over the hospital and in need makes the calls to the on-call doctors...didn't know to dial a fuggin "1" to call long distance.

This woman is old enough to remember land line phones. This woman is old enough to have had to consider long distance calling plans on her phone line.

The only logical explanation is that cell phones, by not needing anything more than the 10 digit number to call ANYTHING in their country of origin (US in my case) have caused her to not remember that land lines need a "1" to call long distance. That like the Digital Watch causing some people to forget how to read an analog clock (the ones with the hands) and the computerized medical record system causing doctors how to chart on a gorram piece of paper when the computers go tits-up on us...

...The cell phone is making the current generation STUPID!
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

...The cell phone is making the current generation STUPID!
    Nope, I have to disagree with you there. Stupidity is always prevalent, cell phones just make it easier to spot.

Comment

I really wish we had the icon over here right now.

I'm a rabid texter - and I'm well outside the age range of a typical one.

I do think that I have a fairly good reason, though. I work in a call center, and when I am off work, the LAST THING I want to do is talk on the phone. This doesnt mean I don't want to talk to my friends and family, I just need a break from speaking. Not physically mind you (well, sometimes) - but mentally.

Does this make sense?

Granted, texting has it's place - and I attempt to be courteous when I do. I think it's rude to be hanging with friends and texting someone else constantly - I definitely am with you there.

Comment

The only logical explanation is that cell phones, by not needing anything more than the 10 digit number to call ANYTHING in their country of origin (US in my case) have caused her to not remember that land lines need a "1" to call long distance.
        This is strange because I still have to dial a 1 when I'm calling long distance from my cell, given I'm in Canada, so it's probably different than the US.

What I don't get are people who only use a cellphone, I don't necessarily think it's wrong, but it's strange to me. I'll always have a landline, plus my cell, it's just cheaper that way. Given I'm on a $10/month pay and talk phone, and I don't generally use my cell to call long distance. When I am travelling, at least to where my cell still works (ie in BC, maybe the rest of canada?) I usually text friends, because it's cheaper. It's $0.15 a text as opposed to $0.50 a minute to call. Even with being charged for incoming texts it's cheaper.

I don't think that cell phones are making people stupid, that was happening long before they were popular. They are a useful tool to those who chose to use it as such. Frankly, I feel rather uncomfortable when my phone dies and I have to come home from a night class at 11pm by myself, and I'm not a fearful person, I'm not terrified but it's nice to know I have some communication in case something does happen.

I also still have just a plain basic cell. Not even a front display on it let alone a keyboard or camera or any of those doodads. I do eventually want one with a keyboard, but the price is scaring me off right now, plus how fragile they all look. I mean, if I dropped one of those on cement it would be toast, my current phone has been dropped numerous times and still works and for the most part looks like new. (the other reason I'm not getting a new phone, old one is still looking and working fine at 4 years old)

Comment

My main annoyance with mobiles (English for cell!) is the incredible rudeness of some people who use them. As everyone knows, I work in a petrol station. I often have to tell people to get off their damn phones on the forecourt. I don't give a toss if you saw it on Top Gear that using phones is harmless, I don't care if you think that the risk is minimal; it's the rule that you DON'T use your fucking phone on the forecourt. It's really not difficult to stay off the phone for ten minutes while you pump your petrol.

Also, the people who abide by that rule, but immediately call someone the second they enter the kiosk and stay on it while I'm serving them. I find it incredibly rude of someone to be yapping away to someone on a phone while a cashier is serving; especially if they give me a "You're interrupting me" look when I ask them what pump they're on, if they have their storecard, or if they have anything else. Put the damn phone down and speak to me like a human being. I harbour fantasies of grabbing the phone and putting it behind the till then saying in bossy mummy tones "Now, will you pay attention?"
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

As someone who has done the "you have to diaL 1?" thing, it wasn't forgetting how to use a landline phone, but not realizing where the boundaries for long distance are anymore. After all, they never did make much sense Figured it out on my own, though.

What kind of *cell phone* requires dialing 9 for an outside line? That's just weird.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
              What I don't get are people who only use a cellphone, I don't necessarily think it's wrong, but it's strange to me.
              Well personally I've had just a cell for almost 10 years-to get a landline would require paying around $30 a month, in addition to the $75 a month hubs and I pay for our cells. Why do we not have a landline? Neither one of us is home much-so it would be pretty much useless.

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
              I do eventually want one with a keyboard, but the price is scaring me off right now, plus how fragile they all look. I mean, if I dropped one of those on cement it would be toast
              get a silicone, or some other type of case-every hit the case takes is one the phone doesn't-plus I've dropped my motorola hint 4 feet onto concrete numerous times(probably about 20 or so times in the two years I've had it-only glitch it has is the backlight for the keyboard doesn't stay on, it comes and goes-that's it-bit of cosmetic damage as well-screen's fine though...
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Theres no real reason to have a land line and a cell unless either there are multiple people in the home or you don't get cell service at your home. Paying for two things is usually cheaper then paying for one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  What kind of *cell phone* requires dialing 9 for an outside line? That's just weird.
                  I think the OP was calling their cell phone from the work phone (which requires a 9-1-(area code / number).

Comment

My sister is constantly texting. When we go out to eat or even if we are just having a dinner together at one of our houses it gets on my last nerve with all that texting. If I wanted to sit home and eat by myself i would have done so....

Comment

Originally posted by Imprl59 View Post
                      My sister is constantly texting. When we go out to eat or even if we are just having a dinner together at one of our houses it gets on my last nerve with all that texting. If I wanted to sit home and eat by myself i would have done so....
                      I'd take her phone away, but then, I'm a bitch.

Some people I know practically fall down and die with shock at the revelation that when I go out to dinner, I *gasp!* leave my phone behind!!!

This is due to the fact that if I go out to dinner with my fiance, I want to be able to be alone with him and talk to him, rather than have our night interrupted by the phone ringing. I also leave my mobile at home sometimes when I go shopping cuz sometimes I just want to be left alone and be uncontactable.

Comment

You could just silence the phone. I think its dumb when people leave cell phones at home because they don't want to be reached. Works great until your car breaks down and you can't contact anybody.

Comment

I don't have a car. Plus, I go to town on the bus. I'm pretty sure that if there was an emergency, I could find a phone; just like back when I was a teenager and went to town on the bus. Back when no-one had a mobile; people still survived and were able to get help when needed.

Comment

I still don't see the point of leaving it behind. I mean, cell's have power buttons where you live, right? If I don't want to be contacted, I just turn it off. But there's been too many times that my cell has avoided undue fuss and bother for me to leave it home. It's by no means vital to continued existence, just handy. Very handy
                            All units: IRENE
                            HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              I also leave my mobile at home sometimes when I go shopping cuz sometimes I just want to be left alone and be uncontactable.
                              There are times that I too don't want to deal with people. Especially on vacation--I don't care if the server destroyed itself, nor do I care if someone can't open a spreadsheet. I'm 500+ miles away, do you really think I'm going to drive all that way back to fix it? Sure, I have my phone with me, but it's turned off. I'm on vacation, leave me alone

Comment

Working...
                              X