No announcement yet.

Food Stamps, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are correct, Panda and Plaid. It was supposed to be temporary, it's become permanent since can't decide whether he wants to work or just say screw working and go to school.

It just irritates me. And he even patronizes me that I applied wrong or talked to the wrong person, oh there is no way you'd get turned down, that "loser job" of yours doesn't give you anything. Well, no, my insurance doesn't cover chiropractors and dermatologists unless referred, but it's certainly better than having nothing.

I didn't apply wrong. I TRIED for foodstamps and other assistance TWICE, although once I knew it was in vein because we were back on mandatory overtime and I was done paying off my old car, but I would like some help. Just because I work extra hours every week doesn't mean I'm rolling in the dough. And no, I will not qualify for Badger Care. I was not generalizing dear bf, you cannot get on it unless you squeak in like you did, or if you are a single mother or elderly.

Comment

Blas: I was turned down when I was living on the streets, because I made too much money is what they told me.

Homeless, No job, not even old enough to get a job at McDonalds. Yep. Made way to much money.

What we should have done, was LIE.

Say you make $80,000 a month, that you have thirty kids, that you have the ten rarest diseases in the world. Then you would be given like, six thousand dollars a month.
      Last edited by Plaidman; 08-04-2010, 04:55 PM.
      Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
      I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Where you getting SSI at the time? Even if you were if you were under 18 they should have given you a refferal to a program that helps homeless teens. If they didn't then your worker really dropped the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
          Where you getting SSI at the time? Even if you were if you were under 18 they should have given you a refferal to a program that helps homeless teens. If they didn't then your worker really dropped the ball.
          Only money I was reciving, was whatever I could pan handle, which wasn't much. Rest of the time I was eating at food shelters.
          Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
          I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Sounds like you had a worker who either was incompatant or hated you. I'm not sure how panhandling can even be considered a source of income since there is no way to proof how much you are revieving.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
              Sounds like you had a worker who either was incompatant or hated you. I'm not sure how panhandling can even be considered a source of income since there is no way to proof how much you are revieving.
              Or didn't belive I was /homeless/ enough, as I tended to have clean clothes and took showers at gyms where it was free.

Though hating me wouldn't be far off.

Comment

two things.

first of all. yes I know most people are decent honest humans and will do what is right esp when it comes to the food stamps (or whatever the hell they call it now).

BUT..... when I lived in the Chicago area most of the people on assistance were gaming the system. either by outright lying ie. father of "some" of the kids does not live there (but really does), having untold number of kids with untold number of fathers so AS TO INCREASE their monthly cash and food stamp income, doing work for "under the table" cash wages, OR the big one there.....

It was said that the most profitable routes that Greyhound and Amtrak had in the Wisconsin/Illinois area was Chicago/Milwaukee and points inbetween. multitudes of people would have addresses in both Illinois and Wisconsin as to take "advantage" of both systems and get food stamps, cash, Aid to Dependant Families, Medical bennies, TANIF (not sure what it stood for but it was cash), food pantries, etc.

first week of the month the busses and trains were FULL to the brim with system gamers

Second it seemed that the people who REALLY needed the help were denied. like say for instance myself, my EX and my daughter. during the longer periods of unemployment (yes I did get unemployment bennies amounting to about 35 hours a week at min wage), we basically screamed for help esp medical assistance for my daughter, but just as important some help with food stamps or emergancy cash. but NO I made too much money from my UE bennies. the best we EVER got was $15 a month (once somewhere in the middle) until the very end. we also only got medical assistance once that was JUST for our daughter.

I watched more people who had way better stuff than we could ever afford ie, nice pimped out cars, TVs, game systems, pimped out apts.

I see the same things many of you have with people goin crazy buyin junk food or food that I can not afford. every day when I fill up gas tank right before work i see at least 2 or 3 people ahead of me buying a soda, chips, candy, junk with an EBT card. when I shop on the weekends after payday I still see the cartfulls of JUNK paid for with an EBT card. at least once a week we have someone try and pay for their pizza delivery with an EBT card.

just as NOW I HATE welfare week. the first 7 days of the month are HELL for delivery people. People gettin that cash off of the EBT card and spending lot-o-cash on delivered PIZZA. OK I believe in the occsaional treat but this is CONSTANT. and I am NOT talking small orders either. this is like $40 to $70 worth of friggin expensive take out food.

It just seems to my (from MY personal experience) that I/we were the wrong (insert ethnic, race, # of childern, address, etc.) to be help by a system that was initially designed TO TEMPORARYILY HELP those in need not those whoi just want and have the "Oh the world OWES me a living" attitude.
                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

It's kind of like the benefits system over here. Some people, myself included, get a miserly amount of housing benefit given to us cuz we're working and haven't procreated. Whereas someone else who's abusing the system gets their rent paid, their council tax paid and a ton of benefit just cuz they popped out a couple of kids and don't have a job cuz that would interfere with watching TV and smoking like a chimney.

Yes, I smoke. But if I need money to buy food, then I don't buy smokes; I do without til I can afford them again. It just really bugs me when there's a person collecting benefit who can afford to buy TVs, computer games, massive cartons of smokes etc who seems to have more money to throw around by sitting on their fat lazy arse producing babies than I do working and trying to budget.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                  X