If Some Abortions Were Illegal, How Would We Regulate It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Some Abortions Were Illegal, How Would We Regulate It

Some people say that they believe that abortion should not be legal in all circumstances, meaning that they believe that only women in certain situations should be permitted to get abortions. Often, these people only think that women who have been the victims of rape or incest and those whose lives are in danger because of the pregnancy should be allowed to obtain abortions.

My question is, if such a policy were to be implemented, how could it be executed? More specifically, how could clinics verify that all the women seeking abortions had been raped or subjected to incest? Couldn't some woman who merely had an oops moment with her boyfriend go to a clinic and claim that she was raped in order to get an abortion?

Now, if her life is in danger, that's pretty easy to determine. But I really don't see how the rape part could be enforceable.

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
    Couldn't some woman who merely had an oops moment with her boyfriend go to a clinic and claim that she was raped in order to get an abortion?

Now, if her life is in danger, that's pretty easy to determine. But I really don't see how the rape part could be enforceable.
    at one time medical assistance paid for abortions in cases of rape or incest-the nurses told the patients to lie about it. When the feds found out how many they were paying for(the numbers skyrocketed) they included the caveat-you must file a police report, the products of conception will be gathered and DNA tested for evidence-that's one way. It did work.

As always-the only way to lower the abortion numbers is through better and complete sex education, and greater access to affordable birth control.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

If they lie about being raped or whatever just to get an abortion, what should the penalty be?
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Background: Abortion laws in Australia vary by state-there are only two that'll do it on request, the others require some sort of precedent.

In my state, you can only have an abortion in cases of rape, incest, any known defects that make viability impossible, if the mother's health is at risk if she continues with the pregnancy or if the embryo's health would be at risk if the pregnancy went ahead (i.e. mum takes a medication that she can't come off of easily and causes fetal problems). You DO need two doctors to verify that this is the case however before you go and abort.

Me? I'd rather see abortions on request TO an extent. That is, up until 12 weeks on request and after that only in the cases specified above. For girls in my area, it is not worth the trip across town for the sake of birth control. (the only other place that I know of that does abortions in my area is at a hospital)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          If they lie about being raped or whatever just to get an abortion, what should the penalty be?

I think lieing about rape in any situation should have equal jail time as an actual rape conviction, which is 10 years I think. This isbecause just being accused of rape can often ruin somebody's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
            I think lieing about rape in any situation should have equal jail time as an actual rape conviction, which is 10 years I think. This isbecause just being accused of rape can often ruin somebody's life.
            Theoretically, it might make sense to penalize a false accusation of rape that way... but not getting a conviction and proving something *didn't* happen are two very different things. And in the case of claiming rape to get an abortion, you wouldn't necessarily be accusing anyone.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

In South Dakota, proposition 11 on the 2008 ballot was to outlaw abortion except in the cases of rape and incest. If I recall correctly, the burden would be on the doctor to file a police report for the rape or incest. If there was no police report, no abortion could legally be performed.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
                I think hell just froze over, because I totally agree with this.

Comment

Partial birth abortions are illegal aren't they? And don't some doctors get fined/jailed for doing them at times?

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                    Make a judge's order mandatory in that case. If a judge won't attest to it being in the court system/under prosecution, then it's "Close your legs next time sweetie, and start thinking of names now.".
                    Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                    Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
                      Make a judge's order mandatory in that case. If a judge won't attest to it being in the court system/under prosecution, then it's "Close your legs next time sweetie, and start thinking of names now.".
                      The primary result of that would be an increase in false accusations of rape: women who are pregnant but do not wish to give birth either naming someone or claiming a stranger did it just to generate the necessary court paperwork.

It's very similar to the way "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has led some people who are "caught" to claim it was rape so they won't be discharged.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                      X