Acceptable words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable words

Ok, so we all know it's not very smart nor mature to call someone a "fag" or a "queer", it's disgusting to call someone a "retard" and it's not very polite to call a woman a "bitch" or a "dyke", and the like......(I'm a poet and I didn't even know it....)

But what kinds of names are "ok" to call others as insults? And I don't mean people of certain sexual orientations or mental disabilities.....and I don't mean our beloved CS insults like "fucktrumpet" or any other names with curse words in them.

These are words reserved only for people who are naturally stupid/ignorant and mean.

Is "moron" that offensive? "Idiot"? Is "yutz" offensive (my favorite word from the Golden Girls, I call lots of men "yutz"). "Floozy"? "Bimbo?"

Let's discuss.

"Wanker" has a nice ring to it, and it's just obscene enough for those who know what its real meaning is.

"Scumbag" works well too.

I also employ the following: snotweed, twit, gasbag, or, if I'm feeling particularly self-amusing, I resort to good 'ol anime for having taught me some colorful-sounding insults. Observe:

Baka - idiot
    Bakayaro - stupid asshole
    Bakemono - monster
    Hebiyaro - snake bastard

Ahh, the fine art of insult-making. XD
    ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with "wanker". I think it's a great word with a well-established meaning when used as an insult ( a "wanker" is usually self-congratulatory, self-aggrandising, arrogant, egocentric, etc.). On the other hand, much like the word "cunt", I don't like using a positive word in a negative way. Masturbation is a good thing, but our religion-shackled sex-negative society keeps telling us it's bad, funny, embarrassing, or shameful. Imagine how much more happy and sex-positive kids would grow up to be if their parents told them there is nothing wrong with a bit of "self-love".

I really struggle with "cunt" though. Long ago I hardly ever used it, only ever saying it when extremely angry. It gradually crept more and more into my lexicon and ended up being fairly everyday in its usage. One day, though, a very frank female friend of mine used the word while we were driving, and I flinched. Thing is, she used it correctly, referring to her own body. I realised that my reaction was stupid - she was quite rightly referring to her own cunt, in a totally positive and empowered way.

From that day on, I promised to work on using the word "cunt" only in its positive, literal sense. I struggle, though, and I still use it negatively, especially when I'm angry. Ah well, I'm working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        and it's not very polite to call a woman a "bitch"
        Wait, what? I hear girls everywhere I go calling each other bitches. Wtf mate?
        Last edited by Greenday; 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM. Reason: embarassing typo
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wait, what? I here girls everywhere I go calling each other bitches. Wtf mate?
          The point is that they call eachother bitches in a playful banter. If some stranger were to call one of those girls a bitch, you can bet she and her friends would be in an uproar.

My female friends and I would always call eachother terrible names. Someone would walk in a room and say "What up, sluts?" Bitch, whore and cunt were all perfectly acceptable as well. It was all in good fun, though.

As for acceptable words, I see no one has listed "jerk". That's the one I most commonly use. Sort of like the American version of wanker.
          Last edited by Norton; 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Wait, what? I hear girls everywhere I go calling each other bitches. Wtf mate?
            My friends and I do not refer to each other as "bitches." Although occasionally we will take the word and empower it rather than using it as an insult.

With some words, it all depends on context...sort of like what black people have done with the N-word.

I still cringe when I hear the word cunt....not a big fan of that one, although when I hear it I try to desensitize myself to it. I have never heard that one used in a positive context before, and I just don't like the way it sounds. In and of itself, I think it's a harsh word.

So now, I have to ask...what is offensive about the word moron? Or idiot?
            "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
            "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
              So now, I have to ask...what is offensive about the word moron? Or idiot?
              id·i·ot noun
              1. A foolish or stupid person.
              2. A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

mo·ron noun
              1. A stupid person; a dolt.
              2. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Cretin also has a former medical definition. Dolt, however, does not.

Pejoratives tend to be medical, religious, sexual or scatalogical, with a few others which denote personality traits. Which words are safe to use depends on what types of offense you're willing to give.

Comment

My recommendation:

If you're wanting to use a word and not sure if it could offend, do a google search for "word origins (term)." It has surprised me several times.

I like "jerk" and "scumbag" myself, but more creative insults like "douchenozzle" and "jizzmop" are both interesting and appropriate.

Comment

My friends and I do not refer to each other as "bitches." Although occasionally we will take the word and empower it rather than using it as an insult.

With some words, it all depends on context...sort of like what black people have done with the N-word.
                  I had a discussion with a black gentleman back when I worked at McDonalds about that. It's all about familiarity, I think. It's like if someone else called you a pet name that your significant other gave you, except a little larger in scope. There isn't any malice associated with it when it's someone you know saying it.
                  A signature goes here.

Comment

I typically use permutations of "Shit" like shithead, shit-for-brains, etc.

I have a small fecal fixation, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
                      Cretin also has a former medical definition. Dolt, however, does not.
                      I've always liked "dolt" as an insult. It has a vague onomatopoeic sense to it.

Comment

Thank you for those definitions Seshat.

I had never heard either of those words used in that context before. I didn't realize they initially had a medical context.
                        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

I still like backside beret.
                          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I had never heard either of those words used in that context before. I didn't realize they initially had a medical context.
                            You're most welcome.

Sometime when you're bored, google or hit your local library and learn some stuff about the history of mental health care. It's weird and fascinating.

Of course, my own interest in it is affected by family and friends: my best friend's primary disability is mental, and I have mentally ill family. But once I got started - fascinating! Also somewhat shameful, and in some cases horrific. Historic rubbernecking at trainwrecks sometimes. But there are also some truly dedicated and inspiring people.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                              I still like backside beret.
                              I taught my uncle/godfather asshat. He was overjoyed, and loves to use it around me to this day. I'm just glad my family has such a good sense of humor.

Oh, and the big one that gets disputed around our house is douchebag. Mom HATES it when my brother says it, so we've forced him into saying D-bag if he absolutely must use the term around mom.
                              "you learn what you are, but slowly-a child, a woman, a man. a self often shattered." ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X