Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fireman who faints is suing to get his job back

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/...G2hpNqfvsuQE4F

Fireman who is required to know paramedic training which includes using needles is suing to get his job back after being fired. The reason he was fired? He faints at the sight of needles!

I'm sorry, but if you're in a rescue job position, and are required to perform certain job requirements and you FAINT, how is that going to help someone dying? He really should re-think this.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

That's ridiculous. He can't do the job, so he can't HAVE the job.

Comment

My mom really wanted me to be a veternarian. But I knew, even if I had the interest, the grades, etc., to do it, I couldn't. Because just the sight of a needle is enough to make me queasy and have the shakes. I turned down an invitation to a nurses' aid program for the same reason. God yes, the job would have been wonderful to have, the program was only $500 to join, and it checked out as legit, it was a tremendous oppurtunity. But I CAN'T DO NEEDLES. If it were absolutely life or death, I could force it and handle spazzing later. But just giving immunizations or stuff like that, there's no way in hell.

Since when is it wrong to acknowledge your weaknesses? I couldn't take any job in childcare because I can't put up with kids. I don't sue a school because of it. I don't even try to get a job that would put me there. I couldn't take a job in my brother's laboratory because I can't kill mice. I loved the work beyond that, playing with DNA and working with stuff like that. But I couldn't kill the mice. I didn't get bent out of shape about it, I just know what I can and can't do. Other people can do what I can't, I can do what others can't. It all works out. Just accept it.

Comment

Not everyone has that kind of common sense ...

I think with all these new "rights" movements, some people feel a bit too entitled for their own good (or the good of others as it can turn out).
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

oh good lord no, he can't have the job until he overcomes the needle thing, if he can. Firefighters are supposed to be in good physical health no matter what they do, I have had firefighters in my family and I am friends with one with the training to be a paramedic and they would say this guy is crazed. This is other people's lives we are talking about, if I am dying and need a shot, I don't want the faints around needles guy doing it thanks. Why? Cause I might not get the shot I need before he passes out, or he might screw up and kill me!

It might be a good idea for the department to try therapy with him first to see if he can overcome this phobia, but if he can't, he can't have the job period.
          I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

I talked to the fireman in my group. And he said that if they were to let them back in, that it could open up a few lawsuits. He mentioned also about how they would be out of their minds.

Comment

Working...
            X