Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two cases that are different, but similar....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two cases that are different, but similar....

1. You can't "hear" a vehicle speed....

Link: http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/29/2986.asp

Guy was ticketed for speeding because the officer said that he could hear how fast he was going, presumably because of the vehicle's (most likely aftermarket - stock Navigators are pretty quiet) exhaust.

Guy fought the ticket on grounds there is no way a cop can "hear" a car speed. Court sides with the guy.

2. You can't tell me what to park in my damn driveway....

Link: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...riveway-072810

HOA told man it's okay to park his pickup truck in his driveway. Years later they tell him it violates the rules. Man refuses to give in, and thus the HOA sued him....

....And finally a judge sided with the man with the truck. I can understand an HOA not letting people have rustbuckets on blocks, but a truck? Come on...

---

So, how are these two similar? Because if they lost:

1. Cops would be free to just "assume" that someone is speeding by how loud a car's exhaust is or how big the car's spoiler is. Or write stupid tickets like what happened to a member of the ChallengerTalk forum - he was given a $400 ticket for "driving with intent to distract." I can just imagine what the fine would be if he was driving a Ferrari! And yes, he fought it and won.

2. HOAs would be free to restrict more types of vehicles, not just trucks. Like I said above, I can understand HOA's not wanting people to have rustbuckets on blocks. But can you imagine if the head of an HOA was a crazy treehugger and decided that no V8 muscle cars was allowed in a driveway? Or if a snobby HOA head decided no cars other than some import luxury brands were allowed?

The summary: big brother telling you what to do and what you can and cannot have.

Someone (obviously uninformed) once told me, "well when people put an aftermarket exhaust on their car that means they want to speed." Anyone in the know about cars knows aftermarket exhausts offer minimal performance advantage. They just enhance the sound and in many cases help the engine breathe better. As far as the no trucks in driveway rule, I got the explanation that the HOA feels it makes the neighborhood look poor. I guess they never saw an F-350 King Ranch or Sierra Denali.
    Last edited by HEMI6point1; 10-20-2010, 04:17 PM.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

HOA's = ridiculous restrictions on stupid shit. You don't have that many rules in a rental for fuck's sake.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
      So, how are these two similar?
      They aren't, if one considers that:

1. If one cop goes against procedure, that the entire procedure will not change. He screwed up, and it was righted. There is no evidence that things will turn into a police state (no pun intended) if he got off easy.

2. I guess the HOA should look closer at local laws before trying to enforce their own codes.

The summary: the HOA in question is not part of the federal government and neither is the cop and can hardly be Big Brother. (Nor can they be if they band together.)

Originally posted by Cactus Jack View Post
      You could make a Big Brother argument with the ticket
      Not if the cop acted on his own, which he had. If the government told the police force that it's okay to do that, then there might be something.
      Last edited by Ipecac Drano; 10-20-2010, 03:38 PM.
      "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
      -- OMM 0000

Comment

Just one thing I failed to add:

It seems like Ohio has something against high-performance cars. I wish I had a link for this, but some lawmakers there want to make revving your motor while stopped (to hear the exhaust note) a moving violation with the same weight as a speeding ticket. WTF?
        Last edited by HEMI6point1; 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why would you rev your motor while stopped? Do tell the world how awesome your car is? No thanks.

As far as HOAs go, yeah they suck, but if you sign a contract saying that you will abide by their bullshit, then you must abide by their bullshit.

Comment

I agree it's rather silly to do it (unless you are making a video for Youtube showing what it sounds like idling), but my point was it's stupid to ticket someone for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
              I wish I had a link for this, but some lawmakers there want to make revving your motor while stopped (to hear the exhaust note) a moving violation with the same weight as a speeding ticket. WTF?
              I can see why. Around here, it seems that the Harley owners have to rev their engines at *every* stop light. Annoying as hell to listen to, especially at night.

As to the cop being able to tell if someone is speeding by their exhaust...he's full of shit. Even at 25mph, the *stock* exhaust on my 1970 MGB GT is pretty loud, even when idling. I'd be screwed if I ever drove through his area

Comment

If you're going to ticket someone for revving their engine then ticket them for a decibel violation, not for something that can add points to someone's license.

Oh and from the link cops can no longer just "guess" at someone's speed.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  As far as HOAs go, yeah they suck, but if you sign a contract saying that you will abide by their bullshit, then you must abide by their bullshit.
                  That's one of the many reasons why I refuse to live in such neighborhoods. Mailbox the wrong color? Cast stones at the pariah!
                  "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                  -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    Out of curiosity, why would you rev your motor while stopped? Do tell the world how awesome your car is? No thanks.
                    Because if you're stopped you can tell whether that disconcerting noise was engine noise or tire/road noise?
                    "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                    A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
                      That's one of the many reasons why I refuse to live in such neighborhoods. Mailbox the wrong color? Cast stones at the pariah!
                      agreed --
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus Jack View Post
                        If thats the case you probably don't have to do it every time you stop.
                        Every time? No.

Repeatedly until you've figured it out? Sure.
                        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                        X