Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owner of closing shop blames customers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this one is more appropriate.

Comment

Canarr, thank you for finding that one.
      I do go to several small businesses that are better than the chains. There is a used book store that I like because of its massive selection and low prices, a coffee shop that while more expensive that Starbucks and comparible quality product has staff that make it feel like an actual coffee shop (well, it is) rather than just another fast food outlet, the burger place down the street from me that competes with Carl's Jr. on price but blows them out of the water on quality, the pizza place that is more expensive than the chains but has much better tasting dough and sauce, etc.
      What I can't stand is the places that really had nothing going for them that will then blame Wal-Mart and people's unwillingness to pay for quality. The current one in Salt Lake is this mattress place that sells mattresses... the mattresses they advertize aren't exactly the big name brand ones, but they were charging big name brand prices... I'm sorry, if I'm getting an off brand, I'll go to Ikea and get and off brand for half the cost... just because you're local doesn't mean you're competitive or even desirable.

ETA- Lordlundar, so that's what Sam Weller came from
      Sam Weller is a Utah bookstore owner, who only deals in the highest quality of books, he even puts on his website stuff like "nothing with black and white photos unless it is historic or scarce" and stuff like that (or at least used to, I haven't been to the site for a while)... he even went as far once to say "no pop culture or science fiction novels, you may try a lesser quality used bookstore to sell those to."
      Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM.
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

But smiley, there is a big difference between paying a little more to support Mom and Pop or to avoid Wal-Mart, and paying $8 for a carton of eggs.

Comment

^Sounds like a pretentious snob to me. I don't think much of people who diss the entire sci-fi genre like that.

Comment

Blas, and most mom and pops that are worth the extra cost if for no other reason than you aren't being hearded through like cows to the slaughter. These aren't the stores that complain about Walmart putting them out of business.
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
            X