We are who we are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are who we are

I saw a really moving commercial the other day that addresses something I've been trying to get across to people for a long time - people getting persecuted, ridiculed, and yes - even killed for being who they are. This ad finally brings to light that people are different, and we really should learn to get along.

There are those who express themselves differently, whether it be how they communicate, how they dress, how they act - all of these things make up parts of who a person IS, and we should help foster understanding between all people instead of heckling those who are different.

It's just amazing that despite how far we've come, how far we have yet to go. If you have not seen this ad, watch for it. If you have, then you know exactly what I mean.

I haven't, but I do know what you mean.

I live in an area which has Muslims, some in burqa right to the veiled faces (though I've not yet seen any with the eyes veiled).
    We have 'normal' Australians of a wide variety of races, in 'normal' clothes.
    We have some 'beach' type people.
    Some pierced and tattooed alternative folks of many types.
    People in all-out Goth regalia.
    People who are clearly and overtly Christian.

And we all shop at the same small shopping centre.

It's a wonderful place, actually. Simply because of that level of accepting blending.

The school uniforms for the local schools include optional long skirts and sleeves, and optional headscarves. It's kind of funny seeing a bunch of kids playing together in the playground, with some of the girls wearing their classically-Australian-styled wide-brimmed hats firmly over their school-uniform-coloured hijab headscarves.

And I wouldn't want to change that sight for anything.

Comment

I would love to live in a world, where people actually respected others for who they are. Or what they do. Or how they are.

Comment

It would be incredibly wonderful to live in a world without prejudice. Unfortunately we have to live in the real world. Humans sometimes seem to be hardwired to be prejudicial. I dont know why, I dont know how to change it but humanity needs to if we are ever going to survive.

Comment

Working...
        X