Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, when would it be appropriate?

Clicky here for article

Okay, so there was an article in the Provo Daily Herald today, that made me really glad I made the unusual step of actually checking it (because seriously, there is nothing newsworthy in Provo normally )
    So, gentleman with property facing an elementary school puts up the sign "Tell the truth, stop gay suicide, gays are born gay"
    This of course, has caused controversy, the biggest complaint being (because no one will come outright and say that they don't want someone speaking out against suicide of any form) is that elementary school is an innapropriate age to be discussing such a controversial topic.

Okay... so when would be a good time to discuss the topic of anti-gay bullying (or any bullying)?
    Should we wait until high school when it is already happening?
    How about middle school, when it is just beginning?
    Perhaps it is just to controversal to discuss at all and we should just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen?
    I personally think the younger the child the more appropriate it is to start teaching tolerance and acceptance and how to live in this ever diversifying world. Apparently I would be mistaken...

Though, I would like to give major kudos where it is due... in the comments posted as of when I accessed the article (only 6), there was only one commenter who went off the deep end with made up statistics about disease and life expectancy.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

I think bullying of any kind should be discussed as soon as a child enters school, so elementary school. Kindergarden. It should be made clear and ENFORCED that no bullying will be tolerated.

The gay factor should be a non-issue. Bullying = bad no matter the excuse.
    I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

As with many topics, it depends on the mental maturity of the child in regards to when certain topics should be discussed. If I'm remembering correctly, my mother talked to me about sex when I was 7. Not every child will be ready to have such a discussion at that age, but by 10 I think that children should at least know the basics. I don't really see a problem also bringing up same-sex relationships during such talks. There doesn't need to be great detail, but opening the lines of communication is important and these topics cannot be hidden away. Kids will find out about anything and everything from their peers... wouldn't parents rather bring up the subjects with their children first so they can ask questions and get truthful answers? I know that things I heard in school regarding sex weren't always accurate, especially in the younger age groups.

I agree with Ladeeda regarding bullying, as well. It's not a subject that can just be ignored, because it won't go away, it will probably get worse. Kids can be incredibly cruel, particularly to those who are different in some way, and if bullying is glossed over, it can become extreme.

I think a main problem today is that adults underestimate the intelligence of younger children. They believe that 6-year-olds could never comprehend something as complex as intolerance or sex or whathaveyou, but that is certainly not true. They may not be able to understand all the little details behind it, but they can certainly grasp the basics. The earlier a parent introduces such subjects, the better in my opinion.

But, of course, this also means that a parent must also... well... parent. There's a noun and a verb in that word, and unforunately it seems too many people just fit the noun and not the verb

Comment

I don't think elementary school is too early. The earlier, the better- really. Tolerance should be taught from the cradle, IMO.

Kids are going to come into contact with different folks from day 1. Teaching them that differences are no big deal is essential, regardless if that difference is due to sexuality, race or creed.

Comment

Given that many gays and lesbians are noticeably "different" even at the young age of 5, kindergarten would be a good time to start educating about tolerance.

There are age-appropriate ways of talking about sexual orientation. It doesn't have to be a "sex" talk. Children understand the concept of romantic relationships without needing to understand the mechanics of intercourse.

The fact that some people hear "gay" and immediately start thinking "butt sex" says a lot about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
            There are age-appropriate ways of talking about sexual orientation. It doesn't have to be a "sex" talk. Children understand the concept of romantic relationships without needing to understand the mechanics of intercourse.
            I wanted to link a video on YouTube, but I simply couldn't find it. This makes me sad.

It was a dad talking to his ~seven year old son about his uncle's boyfriend. It was the most adorable thing ever. Paraphrased from what I can remember:

D: "You have a daddy."
            S: "Yes!"
            D: "You have a mommy too."
            S: "I have a daddy and a mommy."
            D: "But Uncle is a daddy and a daddy."
            S: *Wide eyed* "I didn't know you could do that!"
            D: "You can. And two mommies too."
            S: *scratching his head for a moment* "I like Uncle. Let's go play pingpong!"

I remember being given a child encyclopedia when I was about that age. It didn't go into the details of sex, but it did give an overview of how babies are made. Got "the talk" when I was older, but I agree that the concepts of romantic relationships are okay to talk about with young ones who are mature enough. I think that the U.S. has an unhealthily prudish stance on sex that only really hurt us in the long run.

Comment

I haven't gotten too in-depth with Child Rum about any of that yet. I have told her that her privates are her own and she shouldn't let anyone touch them. Sometimes Mommy will have to when drying her off (she's really good at soaping up and rinsing off but when it comes time to use a towel, she just doesn't do it well enough yet).

What I'm going to have to teach her is that Aunt#2 & Uncle#2 (BIL & SIL#2 for those playing along), don't have children. And they might not ever have children (I think they're on the fence, but not sure). I want her to know that no matter what, Aunt#2 and Uncle#2 are still as awesome and sometimes you just don't need your own children to make you happy. (Everyone in hubs' family (except me & hubs) are always asking when theyr'e going to have kids, and I'm like "Who cares?")

Otherwise, I'll wait until she's older before having the sex talk. (Though she is developing a little earlier than "normal" - she has to wear deoderant and she's beginning to have boobs - woohoo?)

Yeah, the muscle relaxer I'm on is great & makes me chatty, so I'll end this post right here.
              Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Working...
              X