No announcement yet.

Waitress fired for shaving her head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As raunchy as it may sound, the manager might have been afraid that customers would lose their appetite if they found they were being served by a bald woman, no matter what the reason for her shaving.

Men shaving their head is culturally attributed to toughness, athleticism, or balding.

For women, it is attributed towards sickness.
    We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.

Comment

True; there are some people out there who still think cancer is contagious.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire View Post
        As raunchy as it may sound, the manager might have been afraid that customers would lose their appetite if they found they were being served by a bald woman, no matter what the reason for her shaving.

Men shaving their head is culturally attributed to toughness, athleticism, or balding.

For women, it is attributed towards sickness.
        I wonder if those customers (or the restaurant manager) heard of alopecia.

We have a woman at my work who either has alopecia or has cancer (not sure which, but I think it's the former) and she wears a headscarf while working. Nobody has an issue with it, not even our customers. She has done a few checkout shifts and the customers love her.

I do agree about the double standard thing. Although I'm wondering if double standards would apply to a case I wound up in a while ago: a strip-club refused entry to us because two of our group had full beards, but said that if they'd shaved any part of the beard (i.e. the beard was not joined) then they could come in. It makes me wonder how a full beard is any less uh "groomed" than a normal beard. And what about men who's culture dictates that they grow a beard? (or religion).

Needless to say, we went up the road to a strip club that didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          And what about men who's culture dictates that they grow a beard? (or religion).
          Do you REALLY expect people from those cultures or religions to be at a strip club?
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Do you REALLY expect people from those cultures or religions to be at a strip club?
            You never know But really they pissed and moaned about how a beard looked? what difference does it make? The money is still legal....
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
              You never know But really they pissed and moaned about how a beard looked? what difference does it make? The money is still legal....
              That's kind of funny. The two biggest pervs I've ever known (both of which I've been involved with, go figure ) both have nothing whatsoever to do with shaving. Although my current boyfriend has no interest in strip clubs, my ex quite enjoyed them.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My fiance had a bit of problem at work when he decided to grow his hair long, but he told them it was basically sex discrimination to have a go at him for having long hair, so they left it. They told him that he had to tie it back when at work, and he's happy to do that. I just thought it weak that anyone would have a problem with hair; it doesn't stop someone doing their job, after all.

This reminds me a little of an incident that happened when I was working in the Shire horse stables at the country park. Back then, I had bright pink hair cut in a bob. This woman complained to my boss about my pink hair and matching nail polish, saying it looked unprofessional. My boss replied that since I was shoveling horse shit, he didn't care a damn what colour my hair was as long as I got the job done.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

This broad wants a dress code for people shoveling horse shit???

What the hell is wrong with people?

Comment

The past two places I've worked had very strict dress codes, because they were for industries that are famous for customer service, so to be approachable was a big deal. It was kind of a given that if you shaved your head by choice, you would no longer be employed with them. Hell, if you were a man and you didn't have a mustache, and you decided to grow one, you'd have to do it on vacation because facial stubble wasn't allowed. This was all detailed to us before hiring- we had to accept the terms.

I agree with those practices the way they were carried out because they are what make those two particular industries work so well, as they have.

The reason I'm saying that is so you'll know where I'm coming from, and why it feels so good for me to say that this manager is a full-blown, full grown ass. Your restaurant is not Disney World. Hell, your restaurant probably isn't even very good at all.
                    "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                    We are contented, because he says we are
                    He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      This broad wants a dress code for people shoveling horse shit???

What the hell is wrong with people?
                      I know right? Makes no damn sense to me.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

This is a tad off topic, but Lace's prior experience in working with horses reminds me of the people I work with (remember, a factory) who are militant about people looking and dressing a certain way. I mean, some people work with chemicals that eat away at your shoes and pants, and you have people that kick and scream about them having holes in their shirts or ratty shoes. We only get so much for a clothing allowance as it is, and the best part of it is people who are in areas that don't work with dangerous machinery or chemicals are the ones who are always complaining about the way that those people who do work with them look.

I think it's a culture thing.....there's no shame in a man going bald or even wanting to be bald by shaving his head, but it's not feminine to be bald. That's not my belief, but I think this type of belief holds strong in a lot of businesses, the same way Mike had the problem with a manager who didn't like that he has long hair.

Comment

Working...
                        X