Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 year old with flu misdiagnosed (by a rent-a-cop) as drug user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 year old with flu misdiagnosed (by a rent-a-cop) as drug user.

Link

School Police Officer (whatever that is) decided that a 12 year old girl with the flu was a drug user and drunk. Obviously, such diagnostic powers trump mere medical blood tests, which are prone to errors once every hundred thousand times or so.

So no, (the school says) we're not going to look at your medical reports. Kid's a user, and has to go to another school. No, we're not changing our minds. Fuck off.

What's that? We're getting bad publicity?

Welcome back kid, see you after spring break.

just another example of a "zero-tolerance" policy gone amuck with optional medical knowledge challenged security "officer" (yes it seems like a Dr wanna-be)

the fact that even AFTER a Dr. at a (I guess) university medical facility and a blood test AND 2 appeals the school would not relent, just shows how out of touch some school admin/boards are with REALITY.

I wonder if the parent threated to sue AND do the heavy media thing, then the school finally relented????
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Perfect example of my other thread - this is case where all those people deserve really nasty shit to happen to them. It was entirely in their hands and they chose the irresponible path of falsely accusing this girl of something. They deserve whatever fate awaits them from the wrath of a vengeful 12 year old, which can be quite devastating.

Well, I guess they should have thought of that. NO MERCY!

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
        School Police Officer (whatever that is)
        for one, school police officer =/= "rent a cop." school police officers are fully trained and licensed police officers who have been through the academy and then are either hired directly by school districts for their district police forces or assigned to a particular school by the local force.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        It was entirely in their hands and they chose the irresponible path of falsely accusing this girl of something.
        falsely accused =/= wrongly accused. while the accusations should have been withdrawn as soon as contrary evidence was provided, to say they falsely accused her implies that they had foreknowledge that she was not on drugs before the accusation was made and chose to lie about it. in this case, they believed they had reasonable cause to make the accusation, and they were wrong.

Comment

In my first drivers license picture, I looked stoned out of my mind. I had *drumroll* ... the flu! I wouldn't have even gotten out of bed, except that I was borrowing a friend's car to take the test in.

The worst part about all of this Zero Intellige-, er, Zero Tollerance bullshit is that the school officials hide behind some law that protects them from being prosecuted for these asinine and otherwise clearly damaging actions against students.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post

falsely accused =/= wrongly accused. while the accusations should have been withdrawn as soon as contrary evidence was provided, to say they falsely accused her implies that they had foreknowledge that she was not on drugs before the accusation was made and chose to lie about it. in this case, they believed they had reasonable cause to make the accusation, and they were wrong.
            wrongly accused with out even taking the time to find out for sure = just as bad as falsely accused. you don't get to just go slinging mud at people hoping it sticks. it's called investigating.

Comment

Rent a cops are generally security guards. School cops (aka liason officers) are real cops, usually from the local PD, who are assigned to stay at the middle or high school (or schools, plural, if there it's a bigger area or not a large force).

Usually, if a cop is a good cop on the streets, he or she is generally a decent liason officer. The prick cops always end up being jerkoff liason officers, because they take their superiority complexes to the school and take it out on the kids.

We had a liason officer at my first high school who routinely hid in the bushes to catch kids smoking across the street, or he'd routinely drive around, and around, and around, and around the block in hopes he'd catch you taking a puff so he could write you a $50 ticket. We had a joke that the school cop's job was smoke patrol and nothing else.

This one prick already had a vendetta against kids in general (not to mention my family because two of my cousins refused to date him years back and one of my male cousins bullied him when they were younger, everyone is certain he became a cop just to get power and revenge), and he actually bragged to my mom (the day he gave me my second or third smoking ticket) that he'd issued more than $500 in smoking tickets the past week. My mom, despite being upset with me for being caught smoking and even though it was wrong, was more upset that he thought it was humorous to be harrassing and stalking kids, and went to the police chief about him (she had some ammo, she was on the city council) and he made the prick settle down. He had also made comments to me about my family and the fact that we were all troublemakers.

Then we moved and at my second high school, I had a run in with the school cop when I was falsely accused (YES, I said it, I mean it) of being involved in a hit and run accident the day before at the local downtown supermarket. Funny thing was, not only was it during school hours (NOT LUNCH TIME, either!), but this was in 2004, so teachers did attendance online. That stupid buttnugget immediately called me down to his office, without even checking attendance records, and tried to bully me into admitting I did something that I didn't. He even kept asking me, over and over "Are you SURE you were at school at 2:45 yesterday?" "Are you SURE you weren't at the grocery store?"

The "proof" that it was me? The person who had phoned in the report said that it was a "high school looking student" driving a "red car". I had a red car. So did almost everyone else at that school! Oh, but Officer Buttfuck had specially taken a little tour of the parking lot and noticed there was damage to my car. That car was almost as old as I was at the time, it had had several previous owners before my dad and before ME.

Anyway, after he bullied me but I still refused to back down, he called my mom and tried to say that I refused to admit that I was involved in a hit and run accident. My mom first of all flipped the hell out that I was interrogated by a cop without her or my dad's presence, let alone permission, and also reamed him about the attendance records, not to mention that my father gets home before school lets out, and he would have caught me if I'd been anywhere near home. She really let him have it and told him that we'd already been through harrassment once before from a school liason officer at my previous high school, and if he ever wanted to question me for anything again, he'd damn well better have proof or actually have caught me doing something, and he better damn well call my parents before talking to me.

At least that prick knew when to stop with some people. He never bothered me again.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Comment

How big a difference, really, is there between a deliberate false accusation and being completely indifferent to whether your accusation is true or not?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  How big a difference, really, is there between a deliberate false accusation and being completely indifferent to whether your accusation is true or not?
                  To the accused, not much in the beginning, but down the line, it could be major.

Someone who deliberately levels a false accusation will often stick by that accusation even in the face of evidence to the contrary, while someone who merely carelessly tosses such things about will do no more to defend it than they would to prove it, which is usually nothing.

The problem comes, mostly, from the pitchfork and torches reaction from the court of public opinion, which will rear its ugly head among even otherwise intelligent and thoughtful individuals.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hope the family of the girl does sue the school and the school cop.
                    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

for one, school police officer =/= "rent a cop." school police officers are fully trained and licensed police officers who have been through the academy and then are either hired directly by school districts for their district police forces or assigned to a particular school by the local force.

the defination of a school cop or a security officer depends on the school district you are in.

as Blas has stated you MAY have an official police officer that liases with a school or schools.

a "school police officer" (as mentioned in the article) may or may NOT be a fully trained police officer

a security guard is, most of the times a rent-a-body-not-fully-trained-as-a-peace-officer.

back 35 years ago when I was in HS, we had security officers. as in nice uniform, maybe handcuffs, no guns little formal training and mot much real authority the situation changed when my school disctrict began racial ingetration. then they got armed guards with guns, metal detectors, rigid enforcement of the rules
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Ah, my bad. As an Aussie, I've never had the joy of having an honest-to-goodness police officer assigned to any of the schools I attended. I had assumed that no real cop worth his paycheck would be seen dead cooling his heels at a school - thus it would have been a paid security guard. Well, you know what they say about assumptions...

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I graduated in 1992 and never saw a police officer (nor a security guard, "rent-a-cop", or anything at al along those lines) in school except a couple of times for an assembly.

I would guess it just didn't seem necessary.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

after that BS I'd be taking my kid to another school period. You don't even want to listen to reason why the heck would I want my kid under your supervision as your logic seems to be missing. Oh whats that you welcome my kid back? yeah no you have shown me how you think.
                            Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                            Yeah we're so over, over
                            Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Working...
                            X