Day of Silence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day of Silence

Now another Day of Silence (a day where people do not speak in order to raise awareness of gay rights) has come and gone, and perhaps its a good time for me to make clear my opinion on the matter.

The problem with the day of silence to me is that, in some areas its observed, it doesn't do much. There are parts of the country where a day of outpouring of support for homosexuality is a good thing. Where gays are made to feel alienated, and it helps to let us know you've got our back. That's all well and good, but... It feels a bit condescending... I dunno, it feels like "Don't worry, this is the special day where you get support." I'd like more vocal support on the other 364 days of the year.

I appreciate that you're taking a stand. But for a lot of people, it feels like that's all the stand you're willing to take. After a day of not talking at all, you go back to ignoring the casual bigotry and homophobia and not doing anything about it.

It feels kind of like "Oh, I've done my part, now I can go back to pretending there's not a problem."

Of course, my views may be influenced by my environment. This may be coming from my feelings on my mother, who will constantly trot out the time she told my uncle she didn't want to talk about it when he tried to raise the issue of homosexuality being a sin. That's nice, but what have you done in the last few years?

Of course an outpouring of support is always good. And there are places where people try to stop the day of silence from happening. And that is where it NEEDS to happen. If the institution IS working against gays, then yes, something like this is EXACTLY what we need. But there are other places where that step has been taken.

The gay people here know there's a support network. Now we'd like that network to do something more than just prop us up. Get proactive about it, instead of checking off "Support gays" on your yearly to-do list and then going back to ignoring the problem.

Sometimes one person saying stop it at the casual use of the phrase 'faggot' will help a lot more than a hundred people spending the (school) day not talking.

The other problem I have is that its a bit... Abstract. The Day of Silence is a little like Carbon Leaf's song "The Boxer." You need someone to say "This is what its about" and then it all falls into place.

Of COURSE "The Boxer" is about arguments in relationships. Of COURSE The Day of Silence is about how gay people are forced to hide what they are. But if nobody tells you, its just confusing.

I would really like to see what Smiley has to say on this issue, as I know he lives in an area that's a lot less institutionally "Gay-Friendly" than suburban Massachusetts.
    Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

without googling, a day of silence to show support for LBGT issues, silent support?
    Hows about being vocal instead?

When I first saw the title and had not read the post, I thought back to the many rememberance Sunday's 2 minute silence that hardly anyone shut the fuck up for, so how anyone can go a whole day is beyond me.

Comment

Yes, I apologize for not explaining.

Comment

I think it's a great idea... for a one-time stunt. Doing it again every year just means that the other side knows when they can speak out without being countered.

But as for the rest of the year.... people just don't work that way. Never have and never will. Now, if someone acts the opposite the rest of the time, that's different, but attention wanders. It's the same reason we have most holidays, even the minor ones.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I apologize, I couldn't figure out what you were saying in the second sentence of your post. I must be sick or something.

Comment

Dandy, HYHYBt is saying that people are fickle and can't remember to be decent for more than short periods of time, so we have holidays reminding them.

But, as with the whole BHM thread back in February, I think that after a while, these events become counter-productive, giving bigots a "pass" to ignore the issues for the entire rest of the year rather than actually give them consideration for the entire calendar.

And being Silent is only really effective for memorial moments, or one-time events.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That does seem rather odd for a regularly scheduled event. Especially since it requires some explaination, and its doubtful areas that are opposed to the idea are going to organize anything for it in their school systems anyway.

Also, total asshole bullshit like this seems to be the response. ( I swear parts of America drive me up the damn wall. )

Comment

Ugh, Focus on the Family is nothing short of a terrorist organization. Hate those fuckers.

Comment

It can have good effects, though. My friend from our LGBT group wore a rainbow tie-dye bandanna over her mouth when she went to work. Her boss called her in and asked why she was doing it. She explained what it all was about...and he ended up donating $5,000 to the It Gets Better movement.
                  Last edited by Eisa; 04-21-2011, 05:31 AM.
                  "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I feel that I should add my experience to this thread, as I participated in the Day of Silence this year. I'm a Senior in High School in southern Georgia, and this is the first year I've been out.

I should have worn the rainbow tie across my face, because NO-ONE CARED. Lots of people asked me why I had been quiet all day (I'm very talkative), and I had written out an explanation. I got lots of "Good for you"s, and lots of "That's a good idea"s, but no one seemed particularly interested in fighting intolerance in schools. The only people who were interested in that were my friends, and the other LGBT students.

Overall, a day of walking around with signs or flyers would be more effective.

Comment

We had an awesome day back in my senior year, at my second high school (that's where I was junior and senior years).

There was an extra-curricular group, they were called "Ruffled Feathers" (I would have joined but when I wasn't at school, I was dedicated to working and making money, and they always met right after school), and they were basically a "Fratching" type group of people who debated, talked about political and hot button issues, and made awareness at school.

They decided to have one special day (this was back in spring 2005) when we would speak out about gay rights and stopping discrimination and hatred of gay people.

This being mostly a backwoods inbred too-conservative part of Wisconsin, it was met by A LOT of flack, mostly from TEACHERS and parents of inbred, bigoted students, who had passed on their hatred and intolerance throughout the years.

The name of the damn day was changed several times. They finally were able to pass it off as "Tolerance Day", because so many teachers and even the god damned principal refused to allow a "Gay Day" at school. It was never intended to be called Gay Day, anyway.

This following part was not a part of the original plan, but it ruffled feathers, and it was awesome. For $1, you could buy a rainbow ribbon to wear (this was around the time it was getting popular to wear ribbons for cancer awareness and support the troups and whatnot).

The few, the proud, the strong of us wore the rainbow ribbons, even refused to take them off when a few teachers asked, went to the office still refusing to take them off.

This wasn't my best moment, but when I was told I had to take the ribbon off or get ISS (in school suspension), I kept my ribbon on and went home, refusing to finish the day at a school where they were refusing to allow us to wear rainbow colored ribbons in support of tolerance of others (and the whole fucking thing had evolved to tolerance of EVERYONE, the club had agreed to it with the principal, because if it had stayed "Gay Day", it wouldn't have been allowed to happen).

In all honesty, I was sickened by the teachers and the principals for getting huffy about it. I heard one teacher in the hallway say "I don't want no GAY DAY at this school!".....did she get in trouble for saying that? NO!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                        This wasn't my best moment, but when I was told I had to take the ribbon off or get ISS (in school suspension), I kept my ribbon on and went home, refusing to finish the day at a school where they were refusing to allow us to wear rainbow colored ribbons in support of tolerance of others (and the whole fucking thing had evolved to tolerance of EVERYONE, the club had agreed to it with the principal, because if it had stayed "Gay Day", it wouldn't have been allowed to happen).

!
                        I dunno, Blas, maybe it wasn't your best moment, but I'd say it ranks pretty high on your list of "Awesome Moments."

Comment

Working...
                        X